Revisions to the AdWords API Beta Program

adwordsa...@google.com

Apr 11, 2006, 12:08:08 PM4/11/06
to AdWords API Announcements
First, I want to thank you all for your feedback, support and patience
over the last several months as we worked to redefine the AdWords API
in a way that would better meet everyone's needs.

Back in November we formed an internal task force to re-examine the API
beta program's structure and quota allocation system. Our goal was to
come up with a revised system that better aligns the needs of all
developers with our own needs as an organization. Over the last few
months this group has gathered developer feedback from multiple sources
including your emails as well as feedback provided via the AdWords API
Developer Forum. <http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api>

As a result of our task force review process, we've decided to change
the overall structure of the AdWords API Beta program. We believe these
changes will better balance the needs of developers and advertisers
with our own system and resource needs.

Based on our interactions and conversations with you, we have
identified four key issues that needed to be addressed as part of any
new API plan.

* Flexibility and scalability: Our developers need a more flexible
and scalable API program that can address each developer's needs, but
that also can be applied equitably to all developers in order to
maintain a level playing field for everyone.

* Commercialization terms: The terms and conditions need to be
modified so all developers have the opportunity to commercialize their
applications.

* Usage and functional standards: We need to maintain certain usage
and functional standards that increase overall advertiser returns.

* Incentives for efficiency: We need to implement incentives for
developers to design more efficient applications. This, in turn, will
ensure greater system availability for all.

Based on these needs, we will implement two major changes to the
AdWords API Beta program on July 1st, 2006.

* Revised quota allocation system & pricing model: We are changing
the quota allocation system and pricing model to create a more flexible
and level playing field that encourages efficient coding and
application design. Effective July 1, 2006, the current free quota
system will be replaced by a usage-based system. Under this new model,
AdWords API token holders will be charged a nominal $0.25/1000 quota
units consumed. As a result, current developer quota caps will be
removed in order to provide a more flexible and scalable system for
quota allocation and consumption.

* Modified terms and conditions: We are modifying our terms and
conditions in order to simplify developers' abilities to
commercialize their applications while at the same time ensuring that
advertiser returns are maximized through the promotion of certain
functional standards. These new terms also will go into effect on July
1, 2006. Prior to that date, you will be able to view an advanced copy
of these terms and conditions at
http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/terms_preview.html.

In June we will launch an API registration micro-site that provides
more details on these new billing processes and procedures. Please note
that certain developers, such as those who design proprietary
applications to advertise their own businesses, may be exempt from a
portion of these fees and terms. The registration micro-site will
provide more details on these exemptions.

Thank you all again for your feedback and patience over these last few
months. We'll be in touch again shortly to provide you with more
details.

-- Rohit Dhawan, Product Manager