Sunsetting v12 on February 23, 2009

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 4, 2009, 1:15:08 PM2/4/09
to AdWords API Forum
In accordance with our policy of sunsetting older versions of the
AdWords API, we will turn off access to version 12 of the API on
Monday, February 23, 2009. Version 13 of the API has been available
for over four months now, and supports a number of new features. We
hope that you've already taken the opportunity to upgrade your code.

The latest versions of the publicly available official Google client
libraries all support version 13 of the API, so if you're using one of
those, please check the relevant README file for information on how to
switch from version 12 to 13.

As always, if you have any questions about the AdWords API or
upgrading to our latest versions, you can check out our Frequently
Asked Questions (http://www.google.com/support/adwordsapi/) or ask
them here, in our developer forum.

-- AdWords API Team

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 4, 2009, 1:19:30 PM2/4/09
to AdWords API Forum
I wanted to post a brief follow-up on this. As the developers out
there who use Perl know, the Google::AdWords module is maintained by a
developer outside of Google. Google::AdWords does not yet have v13
support. I've been in touch with Rohan, the developer, and he's also
posted in another thread in this forum confirming that he is planning
on adding v13 support ahead of the sunset date.

If anything changes with Rohan's plans then we'll evaluate what can be
done on Google's end to accommodate our Perl developers.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

On Feb 4, 1:15 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

Enquisite.com

Feb 10, 2009, 12:05:55 PM2/10/09
to AdWords API Forum
I for one would be much happier if Google took over maintenance of the
perl module.
With less than 2 weeks until the V12 sunset, we still don't have a
module to start
testing with. Not to mention the 4 months that the new features have
been unavailable
to Perl developers.

While I appreciate the fine work Rohan and others have done in the
past, I think that
everyone would be better served by Google providing official support
for Perl.

Rick Morris

On Feb 4, 10:19 am, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 17, 2009, 2:45:27 PM2/17/09
to AdWords API Forum
Google::Adwords with support for v13 is now out, and we'll keep v12
running until March 9 to accommodate Perl developers who need to
upgrade:

http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api/browse_thread/thread/30d25cc3eadb725b

As we've previously announced on our blog (http://
adwordsapi.blogspot.com/2008/12/preview-of-2009-adwords-api-
changes.html), the next release of the AdWords API will contain
numerous fundamental changes. All of the client libraries will need
significant updates to support the next release. I can't specifically
comment on the future of Google::Adwords at this time, though.

On Feb 10, 12:05 pm, "Enquisite.com" <google...@enquisite.com> wrote:
> I for one would be much happier if Google took over maintenance of theperlmodule.
> With less than 2 weeks until the V12 sunset, we still don't have a
> module to start
> testing with. Not to mention the 4 months that the new features have
> been unavailable
> toPerldevelopers.
>
> While I appreciate the fine work Rohan and others have done in the
> past, I think that
> everyone would be better served by Google providing official support
> forPerl.
>
> Rick Morris
>
> On Feb 4, 10:19 am,AdWordsAPI Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to post a brief follow-up on this. As the developers out
> > there who usePerlknow, the Google::AdWordsmodule is maintained by a
> > developer outside of Google. Google::AdWordsdoes not yet have v13
> > support. I've been in touch with Rohan, the developer, and he's also
> > posted in another thread in this forum confirming that he is planning
> > on adding v13 support ahead of the sunset date.
>
> > If anything changes with Rohan's plans then we'll evaluate what can be
> > done on Google's end to accommodate ourPerldevelopers.
>
> > Cheers,
> > -Jeff Posnick,AdWordsAPI Team
>
> > On Feb 4, 1:15 pm,AdWordsAPI Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > In accordance with our policy of sunsetting older versions of the
> > >AdWordsAPI, we will turn off access to version 12 of the API on
> > > Monday, February 23, 2009. Version 13 of the API has been available
> > > for over four months now, and supports a number of new features. We
> > > hope that you've already taken the opportunity to upgrade your code.
>
> > > The latest versions of the publicly available official Google client
> > > libraries all support version 13 of the API, so if you're using one of
> > > those, please check the relevant README file for information on how to
> > > switch from version 12 to 13.
>
> > > As always, if you have any questions about theAdWordsAPI or

Gordon

Feb 19, 2009, 11:12:05 AM2/19/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Guys,

Could someone please confirm the definite date for the sunsetting of
V12 Adwords API?

I am a PHP developer myself, and am therefore unaffected by the Perl
module - but still have some adjustments to integrate.

Any information is helpful!

Thanks,

Gordon.

On Feb 17, 7:45 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:
> Google::Adwords with support for v13 is now out, and we'll keep v12
> running until March 9 to accommodate Perl developers who need to
> upgrade:
>
>  http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api/browse_thread/thread/30d25...

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 19, 2009, 11:39:37 AM2/19/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Gordon,

We're going to be keeping v12 running longer than we initially
announced, and are not planning on sunsetting it until March 9. (We're
doing this for the benefit of Perl developers, but if you're using PHP
you'll benefit as well.) That being said, you really should upgrade
sooner rather than later, just in case you have any last minute issues
with your new code.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

Gordon

Feb 20, 2009, 5:41:17 AM2/20/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for speedy reply!

I have made all necessary code adjustments - but we seem to be
experiencing some problems when creating proximity geotargets for a
campaign.

The API reports a 'An Internal Error Has Occurred. Please Retry Your
Request', with an error code of '0'.

I understand there were some changes in Adwords API v13 to the
geotargets service, and I believe you can now add negative geotargets
- so I'm wondering if the array I'm passing in has some kind of
expected index missing.

However, I am ranting now - and this question is probably best placed
in the APIlity forum, but if you can offer any assistance that would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon.

On Feb 19, 4:39 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 23, 2009, 10:48:52 AM2/23/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Gordon,

In order to properly diagnose those generic "Internal errors" what
I'd need is the value of the requestId SOAP response header. You
should be able to obtain that by turning on logging in APIlity (http://
google-apility.sourceforge.net/#Debugging) and taking a look at the
SOAP response message associated with the error.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

Gordon

Feb 24, 2009, 7:30:44 AM2/24/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for the reply.

I have emailed some details to your e-mail address, including the
requestId values of four failed API transactions.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon.

On Feb 23, 3:48 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 24, 2009, 11:45:39 AM2/24/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Gordon,

Could you please post the requestIds here? Mail to the address I post
under isn't a good way to reach me, and requestIds are not sensitive
information.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

Gordon

Feb 24, 2009, 12:34:58 PM2/24/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jeff,

Sure - no problem.

I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to post them on here or not.

The requestId values are as follows:

* 93c11dc54a331bc14fd6464e928f2b5e
* 99bcc43e2039a84668fb5a543e0a5abb
* 8e334d88ce08a62e38ea0ca8daf68168
* 026c3efd77bf1696e0803e65bf24aa24

Many Thanks,

Gordon.

On Feb 24, 4:45 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 24, 2009, 1:06:20 PM2/24/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Gordon,

Thanks, I was able to look up your requests and the associated
exception that prevents them from completing.

From what I can see and having run some requests of my own, the
internal error is being thrown because your <geoTargeting> element in
the SOAP request looks like:

<geoTargeting>
<countryTargets/>
<regionTargets/>
<metroTargets/>
<cityTargets/>
<proximityTargets>
<circles>
<latitudeMicroDegrees>51602000</latitudeMicroDegrees>
<longitudeMicroDegrees>226000</longitudeMicroDegrees>
<radiusMeters>45000</radiusMeters>
</circles>
</proximityTargets>
</geoTargeting>

<geoTargeting> is defined in the WSDL as a <sequence>:

<sequence>
<element name="cityTargets" minOccurs="0" type="impl:CityTargets"/

<element name="countryTargets" minOccurs="0"
type="impl:CountryTargets"/>
<element name="metroTargets" minOccurs="0"
type="impl:MetroTargets"/>
<element name="proximityTargets" minOccurs="0"
type="impl:ProximityTargets"/>
<element name="regionTargets" minOccurs="0"
type="impl:RegionTargets"/>
<element name="targetAll" type="xsd:boolean"/>
</sequence>

Our SOAP servers are apparently strict about the order in which the
elements in this sequence can appear (which is technically the right
thing to do, but I don't think we're as strict elsewhere). So in any
case, your request XML should either include the elements in the order
in which they're defined in the sequence, or leave out the elements
that are empty anyway. You probably don't have control over the
ordering (I'm assuming you're using a client library that generates
the XML), but perhaps you're explicitly setting the countryTargets,
etc. elements to an empty value? Could you let us know which client
library you're using and what the code relating to geotargeting looks
like?

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

Gordon

Feb 25, 2009, 7:40:21 AM2/25/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

I tried to recreate the error I was having before applying the fix
that you have suggested, however - I have been unsuccessful in doing
so.

I have rebuilt the account used in the requestedId values specified
above three times now - each with a geo-targeted campaign going live
successfully.

I have not made any code adjustments, as I wanted to create the error,
apply the fix and then check that the error did not recur.

Owed to the fact that this seems to be working now, I am a little
reluctant to make any code changes. Are you aware of any fixes that
may have been applied since our discussion?

The client library I am currently using is APIlity 1.13.1.

When you ask "...and what the code relating to geotargeting looks
like?" - Do you mean what my code looks like when generating the
Geotargets information, or what the code in APIlity looks like when
generating the Geotargets information?

Thanks Jeff - Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon.

On Feb 24, 6:06 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 25, 2009, 3:24:02 PM2/25/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Gordon,

I was interested in seeing your PHP code related to geotargets. I
guess APIlity just takes in all the potential properties for a
campaign in as parameters to the corresponding API's method call, so
I'd be interested in seeing what you're passing in to addCampaign().
Specifically, whether you're setting anything for the countryTargets,
regionTargets, etc. options, or leaving them out entirely.

There's nothing I know of that has changed on the SOAP server end of
things in the past couple of days.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

> read more »

Gordon

Feb 26, 2009, 4:42:53 AM2/26/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jeff

I have been looking into my code this morning, and I have a copy of an
array with a countryTarget set, and an array with a proximityTarget
set.

For each level of targeting - if it is used then a value is passed in,
eg: in the campaigns that we build not using a proximityTarget we
would only set a countryTarget but we would also set a blank array for
each other level of targeting. This is what we would pass in to
addCampaign() when only country targeting is required:

Array
(
[countryTargets] => Array
(
[countries] => Array
(
[0] => GB
)

[excludedCountries] => Array
(
)

)

[regionTargets] => Array
(
[regions] => Array
(
)

[excludedRegions] => Array
(
)

)

[metroTargets] => Array
(
[metros] => Array
(
)

[excludedMetros] => Array
(
)

)

[cityTargets] => Array
(
[cities] => Array
(
)

[excludedCities] => Array
(
)

)

[proximityTargets] => Array
(
[circles] => Array
(
)

)

)

For a campaign that requires only a proximityTarget, we would pass:

Array
(
[countryTargets] => Array
(
[countries] => Array
(
)

[excludedCountries] => Array
(
)

)

[regionTargets] => Array
(
[regions] => Array
(
)

[excludedRegions] => Array
(
)

)

[metroTargets] => Array
(
[metros] => Array
(
)

[excludedMetros] => Array
(
)

)

[cityTargets] => Array
(
[cities] => Array
(
)

[excludedCities] => Array
(
)

)

[proximityTargets] => Array
(
[circles] => Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[latitudeMicroDegrees] => 53742000
[longitudeMicroDegrees] => -365000
[radiusMeters] => 30000
)

)

)

)

I think what you're suggesting is to drop each of the blank arrays if
nothing is to be passed into them?

Thanks Jeff,

Gordon.

On Feb 25, 8:24 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

> read more »

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 26, 2009, 11:22:43 AM2/26/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Gordon,

Yes, I'd recommend either dropping the blank arrays or making sure
that you list the blank targeting elements in the array in the same
order in which they're defined in the WSDL (a snippet of which was
posted up-thread).

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team

> read more »

Gordon

Feb 27, 2009, 3:47:11 AM2/27/09
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

I'll look to implement the changes soon, and inform you of the
results!

Thanks again,

Gordon.

On Feb 26, 4:22 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>