Http status code for soap fault

codeninja

Jan 19, 2010, 3:14:46 PM1/19/10
to AdWords API Forum
With new 2009 api I get http status code of 200 for soap faults. Is
this something that was changed in 2009 api intentionally or should it
be 500 like v13?

I am using spring webservices to make soap calls, and because of soap
spec, it expects all soap faults to have http status code of 500.
Since response comes back with 200 it thinks that it is not a soap
fault but then during regular unmarshalling the code barfs. I am
testing all this with CampaignService and trying to update campaign
budget with 0 value and thats when adwords is throwing soap fault with
http response code of 200.

Anyone else seeing this?

AdWords API Advisor

Jan 20, 2010, 1:57:02 PM1/20/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

I'm also seeing the 200 status code for faults, which doesn't appear
correct. I've opened a dialog with the core engineering team, and
I'll let you know when I have more information.

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team

codeninja

Jan 20, 2010, 2:22:41 PM1/20/10
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks for the update.

On Jan 20, 1:57 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

codeninja

Jan 25, 2010, 9:25:12 AM1/25/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Eric,

Just wondering if there is any update on this issue? I know you said
you kicked off a dialog with your core team but is it possible for you
to tell us if this issue is something that will be fixed soon or we
have to wait for the next api release?

Please let us know.

Thanks.
Tejesh.

AdWords API Advisor

Jan 25, 2010, 1:42:42 PM1/25/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Tejesh,

Unfortunately I don't have any estimates on when this will be
resolved. Do you have a workaround you can use in the mean time?

Best,
- Eric

john.patr...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2010, 9:48:41 AM1/26/10
to AdWords API Forum
Eric:

I work with Tejesh. Is there someone you can escalate this to? If not,
is there someone I can escalate it to? It's has significant impact on
our software and we're trying to push a new release of our product to
production in the next few weeks with full support for the 2009 APIs.

John Galvin
ClickEquations

On Jan 25, 1:42 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

AdWords API Advisor

Jan 27, 2010, 10:30:16 AM1/27/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi John,

I believe there has already been some escalations through other
channels, and I will continue to stay on top of this issue.

Best,
- Eric

On Jan 26, 9:48 am, "john.patrick.gal...@gmail.com"

john.patr...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2010, 9:42:10 AM2/2/10
to AdWords API Forum
Eric:

Is there an ETA for fixing this in production? We're stuck until it's
resolved and we're wrapping up development on a new release this
Friday.

John

On Jan 27, 10:30 am, AdWords API Advisor

Reed

Feb 2, 2010, 9:55:32 AM2/2/10
to AdWords API Forum
I've been following this thread with curiosity. Given the variety of
ways that the various search engine marketing APIs (so I'm not just
picking on Google here) use to signal an error (500, refused
connections, ignored connections, as well as the ever popular method
of just sending back some formatted HTML and CSS that says "we too
D**N busy now try again in 15 minutes"), why would you presume that
200 always means OK? Just treat 200 as "potentially" OK and then
check to see if it has an error/fault structure in it. If it doesn't
then you're probably good to go. If it does, well now you know what
the error is and can do something about it. I gave up trusting the
exact HTTP responses from these APIs a long time ago - try to imagine
the amount of code behind them on the engine side of things. There's
always going to be something buggy or just plain "strange" no matter
how hard they try to make them perfect.

my 2 cents!

codeninja

Feb 2, 2010, 10:51:02 AM2/2/10
to AdWords API Forum
Reed,

Just imagine if all those engine APIs start deviating from SOAP spec,
think of the custom code that all the clients (stand alone or
frameworks) have to write on their side and maintain it. I think the
whole point having w3c spec is that we don't have to worry about such
small things. Sending back http status 500 for soap fault is something
that big search ad marketing api (google, yahoo, msn) has been doing,
in fact it even works fine in google v13. We are really hoping that
this will be fixed in v2009 soon since they acknowledged that it is
incorrect.

my 2 cents!!

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 2, 2010, 11:07:48 AM2/2/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi John,

The core engineering team is working on this issue now, and the fix
for this problem will likely be rolled out this month. Unfortunately
I don't have a more exact time frame to give you, and I would
encourage you to investigate a workaround in the mean time if
possible.

Best,
- Eric

john.patr...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2010, 12:20:37 PM2/16/10
to AdWords API Forum
Eric:

Is there an ETA for this fix to be deployed to production?

Thanks

John

On Feb 2, 11:07 am, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 17, 2010, 6:19:14 PM2/17/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi John,

Unfortunately I can't narrow down the timeline for this fix any
further, and as far as I know it is still planned for this month.

Best,
- Eric

On Feb 16, 12:20 pm, "john.patrick.gal...@gmail.com"

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 18, 2010, 3:01:23 PM2/18/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi John,

A fix for this issue has now been pushed, and my tests are showing a
status code of 500 for SOAP faults. Let me know if you run into any
other problems.

Best,
- Eric

On Feb 17, 6:19 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>