Integration of Code Samples into the Developer Guide

1 view

AdWords API Advisor

May 22, 2008, 10:45:56 AM5/22/08
to AdWords API Forum
While referencing our online API documentation, you've probably found
yourself switching between the developer guide and applicable code
samples. We realized that it would be more helpful to you to find
these materials in the same place. Therefore, today, we are happy to
announce the integration of code samples directly into the developer
guide. In the guide, for methods that have corresponding code samples,
we've added a new "Samples" section. When you expand the plus box next
to these sections, you will see:

* examples of a method's usage in multiple (programming) languages,
* syntax highlighting and line numbers,
* easy navigation, and
* a link to a full sample.

The AdWords API Developer's Guide is located at
http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/index.html. An example
of a method that lists a "Samples" section is at
http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/AccountService.html#getAccountInfo.

Check it out and tell us what you think!

--Stan

eelco.v987

May 27, 2008, 4:19:11 AM5/27/08
to AdWords API Forum
Very nice indeed, back when we started developing our Adwords, I used
to keep at least two browser windows open to alt-tab between the
samples and guide.
Some minor criticism though:
The line numbers seem quite random, as it just starts at 42 for
example when looking at a specific method.
And the indication for samples could be a bit more obvious, as the
first time I scrolled though the page looking for them, I overlooked
them completely as half the methods didn't have a sample (sample: not
available?).

Keep up the good work though :)
Cheers,
Eelco

On 22 mei, 16:45, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:
> While referencing our online API documentation, you've probably found
> yourself switching between the developer guide and applicable code
> samples.  We realized that it would be more helpful to you to find
> these materials in the same place. Therefore, today, we are happy to
> announce the integration of code samples directly into the developer
> guide. In the guide, for methods that have corresponding code samples,
> we've added a new "Samples" section. When you expand the plus box next
> to these sections, you will see:
>
>  * examples of a method's usage in multiple (programming) languages,
>  * syntax highlighting and line numbers,
>  * easy navigation, and
>  * a link to a full sample.
>
> The AdWords API Developer's Guide is located athttp://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/index.html.  An example
> of a method that lists a "Samples" section is athttp://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/AccountService.html#getA....

AdWords API Advisor

May 27, 2008, 4:14:17 PM5/27/08
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Eelco,

Thanks for the feedback! We are looking into making samples section
more obvious. As for the line numbers, those correspond to the line
numbers in the code samples from code.google.com. And should make it
easy to look up these snippets when viewing full samples.

--Stan