Helper-tunity at Kismet Fruit Farm, MI

Noah Swinney Stein

Mar 16, 2010, 1:17:01 AM3/16/10
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com, Chicago Food Policy
Hi Folks,

There's been a lot of talk about "Crop Mobs" recently.  Whereas this is by no means a new idea, it's a delightful image.  So, we invite you to "Mob it Up" for a good cause:  local urban agriculture and local small farmers.

What:   Raspberry Patch Helper-tunity at Kismet Fruit Farm
When:  March 27, 2010, 9am-5pm
Where: Kismet Fruit Farm in Fennville, MI
Why:    Please Help Support Cob Connection and Kismet Fruit Farms

Cob Connection is a Chicago urban agriculture organization that emphasizes community food production for community food security, job training for local youth, agro-forestry, and empowering school programs.  We are teaming up with Kismet Fruit Farm of Fennville, MI for a Raspberry Patch Helper-tunity, making that urban and rural connection real.

Kismet Fruit Farm, a 6 year old fruit farm, needs to salvage raspberry shoots and canes from their previous farm site.  Their commitment to support community food production anywhere, aligns them with Cob Connection for this great opportunity for our supporters  - to go home with the fruits of their labors.  Check out Kismet Fruit Farms at www.kismetorganics.com

Most of the digging work will be done by tractor, so mostly we will bend, collect, and organize while we talk, laugh, sing and get to know each other.

In exchange for your hard work and eagerness to get out of the city and onto a farm this spring, you will be fed dinner, breathe fresh air, and share in the bounty!

Kismet Organics will be replanting much of what is salvaged but has generously offered to help populate Chicago with Caroline raspberries.  Mind you - there are a lot of canes to go around!  For your work, canes will be available for your own home gardens and a limited number of community gardens and urban farms.

When you RSVP- please let us know if you can stay for supper. We will look forward to sitting down with you to enjoy Soup, fresh bread, and greens afterwards!

For more details and to RSVP, please contact:
Noah Swinney Stein, Urban Farms Manager for Cob Connection
phone: 312-208-4888 or
email: noahm...@gmail.com.

Please bring:
- Gloves
- a spade (if you have one)
- water to hydrate with
- dirt- and mud-friendly footwear
- your mid-day snack &
- rain gear just in case.

If you cannot make it out to Michigan on Saturday to pick raspberry canes, join us at Knockbox Cafe, Sunday, March 28, 1-4pm for a Fundrasier and Reception.  A limited supply of canes will be available on Sunday for $7+ donations

Knockbox Cafe is on the corner of Augusta and California and serves up great coffee and tea as well as delicious snacks and sandwiches.  A percentage of proceeds during the event will be donated to Cob Connection.  There will be live music and photos of our past work.  Meet the people that make Cob Connection work.

Thank you,
Noah Swinney Stein
Urban Farm Manager
Cob Connection