Audio Sync Problems

Davy Campano

Jan 3, 2003, 3:34:04 PM1/3/03
I have upgraded to Adobe Premiere 6.5 and upgraded the MPEG encoder to version 1.2. However, when I am encoding videos that are longer than 10 minutes, the audio is out of sync with the movie by a few seconds. Is there any way to fix this or anything I am doing wrong.

djd...@pacbell.net

Jan 4, 2003, 11:56:16 AM1/4/03
I think this is a bug in the way that Premier [I'm using 6.0x] sets up it's DirectMovie [DirectPlay?] network to process the video, or an error in the components that it has to use to do that.
Several fixes would work, I think:

(1) The video and audio should not be separated and recombined before they are written out. Send the original partial frames out to the disk as they are. Split off the audio and video for preview, but do not recombine them for writing to disk.

(2) If that won't work because the data must be reformatted. [I'm not sure what the DV disk format is. Not sure if this format is actually just DV frames on the disk.] THen if audio frames are missing, make up silent audio frames in the decomposer and toss them in the stream. That way the audio will not slip.

Looks like we know that this occurs in 6.5 as well, if we are talking about DV capture in the first post in this topic.

That's my guess. ANybody else got better info or other experiences?

FWIW,
djd

djd...@pacbell.net

Jan 4, 2003, 11:43:36 AM1/4/03
I'm having the same problem. With DV capture. In my case, the audio for frames is apparently dropped. I can fix it by moving video and audio for the clip separately to the timeline and then slipping the audio later in time by a few frames, sometimes quite a few frames actually. Usually 5 or 10 frames does it, but in one case I saw a slip of almost a second.

I think I have an explanation for this. I think there is a bug in DV capture. I've only seen this when the DV stream is probably dirty. That is, partal frames are probably present. I'm using Analog video from a VCR [beta] and passing it through a DV converter. I've used three different ones and the error occurs with all, which indicates to me that the error is in the computer rather than the converters. I've used a Sony DV8 camcorder, a Dazzle Hollywood bridge, and a Sony DV Converter box [DVMC-DA2]. All show the problem. See next part for a continuation.

djd...@pacbell.net

Jan 4, 2003, 11:51:50 AM1/4/03
BTW, No dropped frames are ever reported in this case. I think the dropped frames are only reported if the disk or something else in the computer is too slow to allow writing the data to the disk.
My theory is:
The analog video has gaps and partial frames. These are encoded into DV as partial frames, with no audio in the frames. The DirectX [DirectPlay or whatever it's called now] tree of components is probably set up to separate the video and audio components and then put them back together to write them on the disk. This is apparently true whether preview is done or not, since that makes no difference to this problem.
So along comes this partial frame with no audio. And so the partial video frame goes on, but no audio frame. And at the end of the chain, the video is held up waiting for an audio frame to go with it, and when one arrives, they are put together and written out. Viola, an audio frame slip.

You can cause this in two ways:
(1) use an audio tape that has undergone some linear editing. Adding and overwriting some clips. THere are bound to be some partial frames at the gaps unless you have a professional VCR.
(2) WHile the video is in preview via DV, scrub around using the analog VCR controls. THis will cause boucous partial frames.

Such partial frames appear to accumulate from the beginning of the time the capture window is opened. So if you open the capture window, scrub around in preview finding the place to start, and then capture some video, the Audio is way way off [that's when I noticed a large gap of about a second starting at the beginning of the movie.]
continued:

Jay Zacharias

Jan 4, 2003, 1:36:23 PM1/4/03
I think you'll find that the loss of sync on capture has to do with the type of AVI file your converter presents to Premiere...type 1 or type 2.

Try downloading the trial version of Scenalyzer from <http://www.scenalyzer.com> and see if that fixes your capture problem...

The other issue may be related to the way previews are handled assuming you are relying on the previews to determine whether or not it is in sync...For instance, the DVD simulator in DVDiT! is only an approximation of what the resulting DVD will look/behave like...There have been many reports of the previews being out of sync while the final disc was fine.

djd...@pacbell.net

Jan 6, 2003, 5:26:15 PM1/6/03
How do I find out about type 1, type 2? I've tried three different DV sources: Sony TRV Digital 8 camcorder, Dazzle DV Hollywood bridge, and Sony Media converter. All show the problem. Thus my conclusion that the problem was inside computer rather than outside.
Can I determine whether these sources are type 1 or type 2. Do you have link to descriptions of these formats etc?

Problem is independent of preview. I have captured with and without preview and problem occurs in both. Avoiding any scrubbing during preview before capture sometimes eliminates problem for a tape. Other tapes have the problem even if no scrubbing.

And as I may have said, the audio frame slip is apparently cumulative. At end of 90 minute capture, audio may have slipped 10 frames while it was fine at beginning.

I'm not talking about DVD simulator. I'm talking prviewing the clip after capture in the Premier Clip preview window. Audio has definitely slipped. I'm not talking about slippage in DVD preview or after MPEG encoding. This is preview of RAW DV footage from HD after capture is complete.

Thanks,
djd

Jay Zacharias

Jan 6, 2003, 6:40:39 PM1/6/03
I also have a TRV Digital 8 and do not experience the problem...I could be wrong in my explaination here, but I believe part of the diference between type 1 and type 2 AVI files is the way the audio is "married" to the video, and is determined by your bridging device...for example, if I capture DV using Premiere, I have no audio sync problem (16bit 44.1KHz), but if I capture using Pinnacle, I do...either DV or analog. Therefore, anytime I NEED to use Pinnacle (for analog captures), I use Scenalyzer...it locks the video/audio...then I import the file into Premiere for editing...I'm sure there is more on this available somewhere... but back to your problem...Make sure your audio settings in Premiere match the audio settings for your camera...The Sony TRV Digital 8's default to 32Khs audio for 4 channels unless you specifically change it in the set-up menus...So, if you're tapes are at 38KHz sample rate, and you edit at 44.1 or 48KHz, the audio will speed up as you go along. Check your project settings to ensure that everything is the same...You may need to export the audio only and use something like Cool Edit to change the sample rate of your audio so that it matches your project...Then re-import it back into Premiere...

djd...@pacbell.net

Jan 6, 2003, 7:24:46 PM1/6/03
Ok. Maybe I was not clear tho. I use my TRV D8 camcorder to convert Analog video to DV. The test is to hook up an ANALOG VCR [Beta or VHS] and put the composite output through a DV converter [TRV will work] and then capture. While capturing scrub around [forward and backward] with the fast/forward/reverse on the VCR, and then stop the capture and check out the audio synch.

I scrubbed around during preview, then captured, and audio was messed up from the beginning of capture, by a lot.

Also, I looked up TYPE 1/2 on Microsoft website. I'm fairly sure that I'm capturing Type 1 since the Media player throws up when it sees the resulting captured AVI file.

djd

Jay Zacharias

Jan 6, 2003, 7:59:36 PM1/6/03
Mine works fine...

I think you're messing up the capture by scrubbing the source deck while capturing. Generally, you cue up several seconds prior to where you want to capture, start analog vcr, let it lock-up, then start capture. You stop capture prior to stopping vcr...This ensures a clean signal for the system to work with.

If you want to locate different spots to capture, I would suggest you dub it to DV first, then use batch capture after you have located the timecodes for the scenes you want.

djd...@pacbell.net

Jan 21, 2003, 5:09:40 PM1/21/03
I've tried several sources of input and all show this problem:
(1) Analog VCR [Beta] to Sony Camcorder, to DV as input.
(2) ULtimate TV as video source, to Sony Camcorder to DV as input.

Both show audio slippage. Slippage showsup even if I never scrub. If I start the deck [UTV] rolling and then open the capture window and start the capture without any scrubbing of the source, the slippage is less, but still present. Commercials in the UTV input seem to cause more slippage than content without slippage [although I don't have a tremendous amount of data in that area.]

I'm not just trying to get a quick workaround, but I'm fairly confident that the DirectMovie DV input filters have a slippage problem. I'm on DirectX 9.0 by the way. Problem started with DX 8.1 and upgrade to DX 9.0 did not change problem.

Any body know about the filter tree that Prem. uses and whether it might have a slippage problem if DV throws partial frames?

djd

Craig Genheimer

Jan 21, 2003, 8:03:52 PM1/21/03
I to am having the same problem. I am capturing analog. Now I am transfering Straight VHS tape to DVD so I am capturing straight 1 1/2 to 2 hours of video and sound. The out of sync problem gets worse further into the capture. By the end of the capture I am out by 1.5 to 3.5 seconds. It varies from tape to tape. So it seems exponetial (sp) I have tried to capture shorter segments (10 to 15 minutes) with still the same problem just not as bad, but still not usable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pinnacle Pro One RTDV
Premiere 6.5
MPEG 1.2 upgrade
2.5 P4
512 RDRAM 1066
80gig WD dedicated 7200 HD
DX 8.1

djd...@pacbell.net

Jan 22, 2003, 10:17:44 PM1/22/03
Thank you, Craig.
A confirmation that other folks are seeing this besides me. And with a single processor, so I won't do that test where I turn off one processor just to see if I still get the problem.

BTW, my system is:
Premere 6.0
Win2K SP3
Dell WS 530 dual 1.7GHz XEON
1GB RDRAM
3 SCSI Ultra160 10krpm HDs - 36,76,76 GB
nVidia GeForce 4ti4200, 128MB
DX 9.0

Jim Scharaga

Jan 27, 2003, 7:52:48 PM1/27/03
I have a new VCR a Big computer 200+gigs of hard drive space p4 200 533 front side bus etc. When inputing a recording through a firewire hollywood dv bridge the audio is offset from the video. Sometimes starts out just fine then it reminds me of a dubbed sound track, lips move then sound comes out. Is this just a flaw in Premiere 6.5? A friend is doing the same thing with 6.0 and has no problems.

Rick R. Gray

Feb 14, 2003, 11:08:30 PM2/14/03
I had this problem with my capture card (the ati all-in-wonder pro) it gave me lipsync problems real bad. When I started using my camera as the analog to digital converter the problem went away. Try checking your capture card. I did a test and captured three hours of video and audio no lipsync problem what so ever.

I have a home built computer running AP 6.5 I put about $700.00 into;
Win 2K Pro
1.5 Ghz proc
512M ram
120G, 80G, 40G HD
NTFS on the 120G
Fat32 on 80G & 40G
Adaptec firewire card
ZR 25 Camera

Spk

Feb 21, 2003, 9:18:48 PM2/21/03
I believe I'm experiencing a similar problem with Prem 6.5 on a PentIII-1100.

I am capturing up to 2 hours of footage via my Sony DV camcorder.

I simply save the video file at the end of the capture, close Prem 6.5 and use a standalone encoder (CCE 2.66) to convert the DV to mpeg2 (for DVD). There is no editing of the footage whatsoever.

After about an hour of play back (of the DVD) the audio is noticeably out of sync with the video.

Is it the way Prem6.5 captures or is it the Microsoft DV-codec.

Unknown

Feb 22, 2003, 4:35:10 AM2/22/03
Make sure your capturing the audio at 48Khz from the camcorder. If it's 32Khz, and it's transcoding to the required 48KHz for DVD mpeg2, it will slowly get out of sync.

Spk

Feb 23, 2003, 12:56:16 AM2/23/03
OK. I double checked all my settings. I have indeed been capturing audio at 16-bit 48 khz. The camcorder & prem 6.5 were both set at 48 khz. The camera I've been using is a Sony DCR-PC110E.

Is it possible that along the line somewhere there has been some minor variation, perhaps by the camera,that results in audio not quite at 48 khz. ie. 48 khz by the camera is not 48 khz precisely.
It seems odd that the audio loses sync suddenly after about an hour. (no frames dropped during capture).
I should mention that I have not checked if the DV-AVI file is out of sync before conversion to mpeg2. I will test this.
Also I will attempt to capture with the mainconcept DV codec. Apparently with some system tweaking this is possible.

Unknown

Feb 23, 2003, 5:59:39 AM2/23/03
Please note that, if you are relying on the DVD preview window of DVDiT to determine whether or not the audio is in sync, don't. There is a known issue there. Try burning a re-writable DVD and see if the finished product is really out of sync...It may not be.

Spk

Feb 28, 2003, 12:57:40 AM2/28/03
Jay
I do not use DVDit for authoring.
I use Scenarist 2.7
I use Cinemacraft Encoder SP 2.66.01.07

I always test DVD conversions on DVD-RW
It is at this point (playing the DVD-RW on a standalone DVD-Video player), where the audio loses sync after about 60-70 minutes.
All audio settings are at 48khz (both camera & Prem 6.5). There are no frames dropped during capture.

All suggestions given to me were already in place, which is why I'm at a loss as to why the problem is occuring.

Unfortunatley I cannot use the Mainconcept DV codec during capture, even after modifying system & registry settings.

Any more ideas?

Unknown

Feb 28, 2003, 5:43:42 PM2/28/03
All I can think of then, is to try exporting with the MC mpeg encoder, but muxing the files instead of the default elementary streams...or...vice-versa if you were already muxing...

It seems to me there are 2 places where it can loose sync if it's fine on the AVI timeline...1st. is when you do the original mpeg encoding, 2nd. is the multiplexing done by the DVD authoring program.

The mpeg portion can be previewed with Windows Media Player...is it OK there? If it is, then it's in the authoring softwares multiplexing.

Other than that, I haven't a clue other than maybe trying out some other authoring titles...I haven't used Scenarist, but I've heard it was pretty good.

Howard Eweno

Mar 4, 2003, 3:52:13 PM3/4/03
I believe Premiere 6.5 has an Audio Sync problem!

My system is a P4 running XP and exceeds the required specs.

I captured several long (2+hours) analog video .AVI files using a Sony VCR connected to a Sony DCR-TRV730 camcorder attached to an OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 port using DV specs.

The capture was perfect; no dropped frames. When previewed on Premiere 6.5, the audio drifts, and is noticeably out of sync at 1 hr, and is about 1-2 seconds out of sync at 1 hr 42 min.

When exported to MPEG using Premiere 6.5, the resulting files are also out of sync.

However, this same .AVI file that was captured in Premiere 6.5 can be previewed or played by 4 other programs with no sync problems, and can be rendered correctly by Pinnacle Studio 8 and TMPGEnc without sync problems.

I think Premiere 6.5 has a bug.

Daniel Conklin

Mar 4, 2003, 4:13:28 PM3/4/03
Are you saying in general, or just for you specifically?

Jeff Bellune

Mar 4, 2003, 5:32:12 PM3/4/03
What is the audio sampling rate of your camcorder when using it as a pass-through device and what is the audio sampling rate of your Premiere project?

What does the "compressor" line of the properties sheet inside of Premiere say when you examine the properties of one of your problem clips?

If you render to a DV avi file from inside of Premiere (and not to mpeg), is the resulting avi file out of synch, either in Premiere or any of the other "playback" programs you have?

Hopefully some clues will be forthcoming.

Jeff

Howard Eweno

Mar 5, 2003, 1:02:04 AM3/5/03
Jeff,

All the settings are the same, Capture Settings, Project Settings, File Settings, Export Settings:

Mode: DV/IEEE1394 Capture
Mode: Microsoft DV AVI (for the others)
Compressor: Microsoft DV (NTSF)
Frame Size: 720 x 480
Frame Rate: 29.97 FPS
Depth: Millions
Quality: 100%
Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9)

Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Format: 16 bit - Stereo
Compressor: Uncompressed

Field Settings: Lower Field First

IF I render a DV avi file from inside of Premiere, the resulting avi file is out of sync in Premiere and other programs.

Howard

Jeff Bellune

Mar 5, 2003, 7:56:26 AM3/5/03

IF I render a DV avi file from inside of Premiere, the resulting avi file
is out of sync in Premiere and other programs.

This sounds like a mismatch between your camcorder output and your Premiere settings, so I'll ask again:

What is the audio sampling rate of your camcorder when using it as a pass-through device?

Also, do you have Enhanced Rate Conversion checked on or off?

Jeff

Howard Eweno

Mar 5, 2003, 8:43:38 PM3/5/03
Jeff,

The audio sampling rate of my camcorder when using it as a pass-through device is 16 BIT.

The Enhanced Rate Conversion is off (it is not good or best).

Howard

Jeff Bellune

Mar 5, 2003, 9:02:27 PM3/5/03
Howard,

Try encoding/exporting using the "Best" setting. Theoretically, you shouldn't need to if all your project and camcorder settings are telling the truth, but hey; you never know.

Also, I didn't see where you mentioned what the "compressor" line in the clip properties sheet in Premiere said. I saw your project compressor settings, but not the property sheet value.

Jeff

Howard Eweno

Mar 5, 2003, 11:25:14 PM3/5/03
Jeff,

The compressor line in the clip properties sheet in Premiere said 'dvsd'.

Howard

Jeff Bellune

Mar 6, 2003, 7:58:52 AM3/6/03
Howard,

Sure sounds like your setup and source are exactly what they are supposed to be. Let me dig through some old notes and see if I can come up with any other ideas.

Did you try the Enhanced Rate Conversion thing yet?

Jeff

Howard Eweno

Mar 6, 2003, 1:38:49 PM3/6/03
Jeff,

The Enhanced Rate Conversion test had same results.

Howard

Daniel Conklin

Mar 6, 2003, 2:08:59 PM3/6/03
Howard, I just finished creating a 1 1/2 hour video in Premiere, just to test and see if the synch issue is indeed a bug. However, my audio did not go out of synch with my video at any point. This issue is frequently, though not all the time, a hard drive issue. Do you have a separate media drive? Is it more than half full? Is DMA enabled? Have you been keeping it defragmented?
The second poster stated he was pretty sure that his AVI files were type 1. Audio synch is a known problem with type 1 AVIs. I don't think you are making type 1 AVIs, but the audio and video may not play back at equal rates if there is something in your system that is slowing down the data stream of one part or the other.

Jeff Bellune

Mar 6, 2003, 2:12:16 PM3/6/03
Howard,

What follows is the extent of my notes (from other posts) concerning audio synch problems. I've never run into them on my system.

Here are the tests:

1. If the clip goes slowly out of sync over time, stop the clip playing
in the Timeline and then start playing it again. If the clip goes back
into sync, the problem is probably your project settings. This most commonly
happens because the Project Settings>Video Settings are set to 30 fps
instead of 29.97 fps. Change the settings for your project back to 29.97
fps and your problem will go away.

2. If the clip goes slowly out of sync over time AND if you stop/start
playing the clip and it stays out of sync, then check the properties of
the clip. If the properties window reports 29.96 or something slower than
29.97, then your video was recorded on a Canon camera that is recording
at an off sampling rate (yes, it's true, your very expensive Canon camera
is defective). Instead of recording audio at a true 32000Hz or 48000Hz,
it's recording at around 32042Hz or 48054Hz. Canon is aware of this problem,
although I've never heard anyone say they heard Canon admit it. The web
is full of info on this. Do a Google search on Canon DV audio sync. You'll
get an eyefull. As for fixing it in Premiere, well, you can't really.
The best you can do is delay how long before it starts to drift. Add the
following entry into the prem60.ini.

[Override]

ForceDVNTSCTimebase=1

Save the prem60.ini, close and restart Premiere. Now re-import your video
clips into Premiere (you can use the Replace Clips command to do this).
Now the clip properties of the re-imported clips will show 29.97 fps.
The clips will now play in sync for longer than 7 minutes, however it
starts to drift again at about 13 minutes (told you that you couldn't
really fix it). The only real fix for this is to get a replacement camera
or to capture 7 minute or less clips.

3.If the clips are always out of sync, Open the Project Setting viewer
and compare your captured clips to your project settings. If you are seeing
a lot of red entries, pay attention, it means something. In particular
look for discrepencies in sampling rate and compressor fields. Make your
changes to your project settings as necessary.

You also may want to try changing the interleave settings to see if that helps.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jeff

Howard Eweno

Mar 7, 2003, 4:07:33 AM3/7/03
Jeff,

Thank you for your help. I have reviewed your last list of notes and found that I comply (in the case of Canon, it does not apply).

As I stated earlier, the .AVI files that were captured in Premiere 6.5 can be previewed or played by 4 other programs with no sync problems, and can be rendered correctly by Pinnacle Studio 8 and TMPGEnc without sync problems. To me, this means that the captured .AVI file is OK.

My hard drive is dedicated to video data and has been tested to write data at 32.9MB/s sustained. It is using a transfer mode of UDMA-5.

Also, I tested Premiere 6.5 on two different sets of hardware with the same results.

No need to reply to this comment. I will signoff of this topic, and will wait for a future update, or will check back in a few months. (I have to get back to my Photoshop project.)

Again, thank you for your help.

Howard

Bill Hayden

Mar 28, 2003, 10:02:09 AM3/28/03
Has there ever been a solution to this problem? I have DV AVI file with the exact same problem Howard describes. It plays in every other program sync'd perfectly, but in Premiere it gets more out of sync as the video plays on.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Ernest Maqoma

Mar 28, 2003, 4:45:50 PM3/28/03
Ditto Bill, and all the rest. Premiere has a bug.

Ernest Maqoma

Mar 29, 2003, 3:51:00 AM3/29/03
What I'm using:

System:
Microft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
Processor:
GenuineIntel Family 15
Model 0 1.5 GHz Stepping 10
Hard Disks:
37.28 GB,
55.90 GB,
37.27 GB,
111.79 GB,
93.16 GB
Memory:
1.024GB of RAM
Capture Device:
Sony DCR-TRV530
Capture Mode:
16-Bit (48KHz)

All items in the Settings Viewer match.

With over 300GB of hard disk space and 1GB of RAM, you can pretty much guess that I do a lot of multimedia work on my 'workhorse'.

I never had the audio sync problems with AP6.0 - only with AP6.5. I've defragmented, changed the DV capture drives, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

The avi files that I capture run fine in Windows Media Player and others -- just not in AP6.5. It seems that captures around 30-minutes or more in length cause the out-of-sync problem to manifest itself in AP6.5.

I've come up with a workaround to solve MY problem -- not the AP6.5 bug:

I create a Batch Captures with the capture lengths being in the 10-minute range. Then I bring the 'little' files to the Timeline and do my edits. They play OK on the Timeline. They play OK after DV exports.

This isn't a 'fix', but at least it keeps me going until the real fix comes along.

srrobinson2

Mar 29, 2003, 1:31:32 PM3/29/03
I am experiencing the same problem. I am playing Hi8 tapes recorded with my old Sony TRV85 in my new Sony DCR-TRV840. I am capturing with Premier 6.5 using a std 1394 firewire interface. The resulting AVI file plays fine and is in sync using Windows Media Player, but when I play it or export it using Premier, the audio is out of sync. I even cut a 1 minute segment out and tried exporting to an AVI (same settings as project, clip, etc.) and still have the out-of-sync problem.

bryan scott

Apr 3, 2003, 3:34:47 PM4/3/03
yup, I am having the same issue. VHS capute with video/ audio sync problem. Seems many ppl have this issue, but I never see a resolution to it posted. I have yet to try the scenalyser capture, will try that, but it would seem to me that if it does work, it only confirms Adode need to fix the issue we are all complaining about.

RGBaker

Apr 3, 2003, 3:42:25 PM4/3/03
It remains very important to post details of how you capture, what format you capture to, how you export, what format you export to.

I routinely export dv timelines nearly two hours long. I generate mpeg files from these same timelines, I make dv tape dubs -- I never ever have sync issues. So something in the settings or hardware on other systems must be different than mine.

In particular, the ATI AIW is a frequent source of trouble. I have one, and never use it for capture or export for those very reasons.

GB

Robert Dunford

Apr 4, 2003, 9:44:29 AM4/4/03
Am now trying to capture from a Panasonic DV Palmcorder and experience audio/video sync problems, as well. This is my setup: Matrox RT2500 card (and have captured tons of Hi8 using it with no problems until now) in a Pentim 4 'puter with 175 GB drive.
Premier 6.0
Capture format: Matrox capture
Compression: Matrox/DV/DVCAM
Frame size: 720 X 480
Pixel aspect ratio: D1/NTSC
Frame rate: 29.97
Depth: Millions Quality: 100%
Audio: 48000 Hz, 16-bit stereo, uncompressed.

What do I need to do to get this to sync up?

RGBaker

Apr 4, 2003, 10:21:33 AM4/4/03
I believe that using the Matrox RT2500 for dv capture you are acutally using Matrox capture drivers? Not the Premiere OHCI ones? In which case you do better to check the Matrox forums for solutions that work with your hardware.

Alternatively, you could see if the program Scenalzyer Live works with your hardware -- you can download a working version at no charge that watermarks your video -- and see if that software works with your hardware.

Premiere only offers capture drivers to work with OHCI cards -- everything else comes from your hardware manufacturer.

GB

RGBaker

Apr 4, 2003, 5:33:32 PM4/4/03
Have you tried Scenalyzer Live for capture? It costs nothing to try -- you'll get watermarks on your video -- but it has a check box expressly designed to keep audio in sync in long captures ...

I believe the issue is one caused by minor variances in the audio sample rate translated into long clip sync issues when the only sync point is the start of the clip. Some camcorders are known to have non-standard audio sample rates (maybe that's why the issue seems to affect some, and not others) and the issue is a problem only for DV Type 2 files not Type 1.

GB

Glen R Taylor

Apr 4, 2003, 5:27:40 PM4/4/03
Ditto the bug assertion here. I, too, see the drifting sync problem in Premiere 6.5 (around 8-10 TC-frames off at 60 mins into a 90-min clip). Project settings and hardware meet with all above advice. DV was captured in Premiere. Captured AVI shows accurate sync when played in Premiere's clip viewer or externally in Windows Media Player, but if I render a timeline containing ONLY this one clip (should pretty much be one-to-one output) the audio gets significantly out of sync in the resulting AVI. Project render settings (sample rate/bit depth/frame rate/etc.) match the source clip's settings exactly. I've played with nearly every permutation of bit rate conversion (rate and conversion quality) as well as a variety of audio/video rendering codecs and all yielded exactly the same result with regard to audio sync.

Experienced Premiere users are complaining about this in a variety of other forums -- seems too widespread to be all of us just screwing up our project settings using weak, misconfigured hardware. That said, a gracious thank-you to those of you taking the time to offer reasonable and intelligent suggestions as to other possible causes. Many of us have tried these other alternatives, however, and the problem persists.

I'd love to see Adobe address this in some form, even if it's just to swear it doesn't exist. Anyone here tried to talk to them about it? I can't afford pay-per-incident, but 90% of what I do is import a tape full of footage and chop it up, so this a big issue for me...

GT

Miles G Smith

Apr 22, 2003, 2:17:08 PM4/22/03
I just hooked up a JVC HR-DVS3U to my Sony VAIO computer and for capture device I picked HR-DVS2U (There was no 3U choice. The capture window does controil the recorder but the audio is way out of sync: about a second.

Is there some way to move it into sync after I get the clip on to the timeline?

What do I need to know about this problum?

Miles G Smith

Jim Ferrari

Apr 22, 2003, 3:52:48 PM4/22/03
Miles, where do you see that it's out of sync? Are you watching/listening to an NTSC video monitor attached to the JVC? Or are you watching the little monitor window on your PC? I have the same setup you have and can do long movies without sync problems.

Doug Bishop

May 3, 2003, 1:12:43 AM5/3/03
Ditto on sync problems. Premiere 6 with an IWill P4HT MB, 2-GHz P4, 1-GB PC-2100 RAM, 1-30GB System drive (7200RPM w/8MB cache, 200MB capture drive, both ATA-100. I capture Hi-8 using either analog capture through a Pinnacle Studio system or digital using a Sony DVMC-DA2 to convert analog to digital and input through OCHI compliant firewire port. I still have sync problems between audio and video, up to 12-15 frames after an hour, getting progressively worse with time. Any explanation.

Unknown

May 3, 2003, 3:48:14 AM5/3/03
The audio sync problem with Studio 8 is well documented on the Pinnacle Forum...Their fix is to tell you to use Scenalyzer to capture.

<http://www.scenalyzer.com>

Doug Bishop

May 3, 2003, 8:04:01 PM5/3/03
But that doesn't explain the same problem capturing digital. I don't use Studio then.

Unknown

May 4, 2003, 4:16:04 AM5/4/03
It appears to be caused by the type of AVI file you capture...Type 1 or Type 2. Although I've never had the problem capturing in sync with Premiere, I have had a problem with export unless the audio had a 1 frame interleave...

Scenalyzer also has an option to re-sync the audio on capture.