create rough border for actions

peter northall

Feb 26, 2009, 3:37:05 PM2/26/09

I have a technique for creating a 'rough' black border on photos, but it can't be used with actions. (By rough I mean a similar effect to that which used to be reproduced when darkroom printing from a full frame 35mm negative).

Can anyone please suggest a technique to produce such an effect which I could record into an action, it would have to work with both horizontal and vertical photos, though the longest edge size would remain the same.

Many thanks,

Peter

KatW...@adobeforums.com

Feb 27, 2009, 9:33:11 PM2/27/09

you didn't say your technique so am curious what you do that cannot be
recorded in an action?

peter northall

Feb 27, 2009, 2:23:55 PM2/27/09
Hi KatWoman...

Open photo
set background as layer
increase canvas width and height by 3%
use marquee tool manually to define perimiter of photo (not canvas)
set quick mask
go to filter gallery
I use combination of filters sumi-e at 9, 9, 16 and spatter at 3,1
OK
clear quick mask
add layer mask
create new layer
fill (with black)
drag layer 1 below layer 0 in layer palette
flatten image
save
done! phew!

This may well be a difficult way of doing something easy, I'm not experienced enough to know. I tried a couple of times to record it in actions, but it simply didn't work when applied to a small folder of a few test pics. Poss because of vertical and horizontals, or perhaps slightly different sizes on short side. Puzzled...

Peter