Crop tool chooses reverse

Deer...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 11:06:45 AM3/6/09

I'm running CS3 on a Vista machine with no problem excepting for this intermittent crop tool thing. Say I've got a photo but need to crop out a small rectangular shape at the right. The crop tool saves the shape and wants to crop the rest of photo.

I've dumped my prefs.

I've selected "crop" and hit the clear key.

It still selects the inverse of what I'm asking it to do. I've even looked under "select inverse" to see if I could reverse it from there.

What am I missing, guys?

Martha

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 11:19:36 AM3/6/09
cropping involves cropping IN not cropping out.

meaning the area you select is all that's left after a "crop".

sounds like you want select with the rectangular marquee and hit delete. or i'm misunderstanding you. :)

pfigen

Mar 6, 2009, 11:19:20 AM3/6/09
Are you sure that you're really using the Crop Tool? It sounds like you're making a selection and using the Crop menu item, which is not really the same.

Select the real Crop Tool (keyboard shortcut - press the letter C) and draw the cropping marquis, then press Enter.

John Joslin

Mar 6, 2009, 12:58:06 PM3/6/09
If you have used the Marquee tool to crop, press Ctrl+Shift+I if you need to remove the other bit.

Deer...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 3:26:09 PM3/6/09
I got it, never mind. I'm just working on an exercise and wasn't satisfied that it didn't look like it does in the book. Thought I was doing something wrong.

Thanks, guys. Have a good weekend.:-)

Martha