My new Photoshop CS4 doesn't have 'Picture Package'...?

Steven_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 20, 2008, 11:16:54 AM11/20/08
I go to File > automate and Picture Package is not in the pop up menu. I can't access it from Bridge either Tools > Photoshop...Photoshop help says it is still a feature in CS4. What step am I missing? a bug?

Laura...@adobeforums.com

Nov 20, 2008, 1:25:43 PM11/20/08
There is an option in Bridge under Window-Workspace-Output that brings up a window to enable you to create a PDF contact sheet/picture package.

StreamB...@adobeforums.com

Nov 20, 2008, 2:29:09 PM11/20/08
Copy \\English\Goodies\Optional plug-ins\Plug-ins 32-bit\Automate\ContactSheetII.8LI from the disk to \\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins\Automate.

Then copy \\English\Goodies\Presets\Layouts to \\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Presets.

Steven_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 20, 2008, 6:38:09 PM11/20/08
Copy \\English\Goodies\Optional plug-ins\Plug-ins 32-bit\Automate\ContactSheetII.8LI from the disk to \\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins\Automate.

Then copy \\English\Goodies\Presets\Layouts to \\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Presets.

YES, thank you! Is this an install bug or did I miss something along the way during my own install? I never had to manually install that plugin before?

Robert_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2008, 12:56:30 AM11/21/08
Those features were moved to Bridge and the plug-ins (there are couple) were
removed from Photoshop, but included as extras for those that want to
manually install them. No this isn't an installer bug it is Adobe deciding
to kill the plug-ins.

Robert

John Joslin

Nov 21, 2008, 3:44:12 AM11/21/08
I think it is a good idea to retire features to the Goodies folder rather than to kill them outright like they did ImageReady for example.

Users have at least 18 months to kick up a stink if the replacement feature is inadequate for them.

The Output module in Bridge seems to cover most aspects of Picture Package and Web Album but people who tried them are already complaining.

I use other programs anyway.

Robert_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2008, 8:38:34 PM11/21/08
Well, the didn't kill ImageReady outright. CS2 had not updates to ImageReady
which that alone indicates what Adobe is planning to do. The writing was on
the wall for a long time for ImageReady, the fact that some didn't bother to
read the wall is not Adobe's problem. As for the extract and other things
removed in CS4, they are dead. When I say dead or killed I mean Adobe will
not be updating it and they removed it from the default installation of
Photoshop. Probably in CS5 these plug-ins won't be included or they will be,
but either way they are dead.

My only complaint is that Adobe is pushing PDF and so the offering in Bridge
isn't nearly as useful as the plug-ins that was supposed to replace. PDF is
good for a lot of things, but not for the stuff Adobe is trying to use it
for. Slideshows, videos, contact sheets, picture packages PDF is cr@p for
this and totally not necesary. Having it is an output option is fine, but
Adobe should have also fixed it so that the picture packages, contact
sheets, etc. from the output module could be created and then loaded in to
Photoshop as well as being saved as a layered TIFF and PSD file.

Adobe is becoming more and more like Microsoft in trying to force you to use
their formats.

Robert

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2008, 3:53:29 PM11/21/08

Adobe is pushing PDF and so the offering in Bridge isn't nearly as useful
as the plug-ins that was supposed to replace.

but it fits strategy.

remove imageready and push fireworks = more $$$.

remove the pdf plugin and push full acrobat = more $$$.

Adobe is becoming more and more like Microsoft in trying to force you
to use their formats.

<gasp!>

J_Ma...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2008, 4:11:42 PM11/21/08
1) Cook the crack rock
2) Get people hooked on the crack rock
4) Profit!!

Robert_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 22, 2008, 1:20:53 AM11/22/08
What PDF plug-in are you talking about Dave? The picture package plug-in
that was in Photoshop wasn't a PDF plug-in, it didn't generate PDF files. It
took your picture package back in to Photoshop as a regular Photoshop
document, the same with the contact sheet plug-in. The complaint has nothing
to do with a PDF plug-in, it has to do with Adobe fixing it so that the only
output method (like the slideshow in Lightroom) is the very crAAppy PDF
format. They took away functionality just to push their format, now if their
format was appropriate and was what most people were using when the plug-in
was in Photoshop then that is fine, but I can bet you that most people after
using the plug-in in Photoshop didn't save it as PDF all that often. More
likely it was either printed and then trashed or printed and then saved as a
TIF or PSD or JPG. That is my complaint.

As for the crack post, well I would suggest you pull you head out of yours
and at least pretend that you have a clue about what is being said. Equating
my complaint to crack is just stupid.

As for ImageReady we have known for several versions that ImageReady was at
first a lame duck and then a dead one and that become very clear once Adobe
bought Macromedia. Fireworks is a 1000 times the program ImageReady was.

Robert

John Joslin

Nov 21, 2008, 5:46:07 PM11/21/08
And literally infinitely more expensive!

J_Ma...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2008, 6:18:46 PM11/21/08
I think I was comparing Adobe to the CIA. :) But don't let me stop you.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2008, 7:51:42 PM11/21/08

What PDF plug-in are you talking about Dave?

sorry, i wasn't clear. or i misunderstood. or all of the above. :)

Larry_H...@adobeforums.com

Dec 8, 2008, 11:27:29 PM12/8/08
The Picture package is no longer part of CS4. It can be installed by getting the files from the content CD and putting them in the plugins automate directory. You will then need to copy the layout files from the CS3 version ... What a pain but it does work now.

Bart_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 9, 2008, 11:22:38 AM12/9/08
That 'bad PDF' excursion was funny. No sense of history.