How to open NEF files?

james...@adobeforums.com

Jan 29, 2009, 5:30:35 PM1/29/09
I tried to open NEF (nikon) files from Bridge CS4.
I see that "NEFLauncher 1.2 (default)" launches but it prompted that an error occurred. So far, I am unsuccessful to open any NEF files from Bridge CS4 or Explorer. Please advise me how to go around this problem? James

Geoff_K...@adobeforums.com

Jan 29, 2009, 6:12:19 PM1/29/09
In Bridge, right click on the NEF file, "open with" should say Adobe Photoshop CS4 (Default). If not, go to Edit, Preferences, File Type association and change Nef to Photoshop CS4. I assume you have some Nikon software that has taken the file association.

Which camera do you have?

Geoff.

james...@adobeforums.com

Jan 29, 2009, 9:19:47 PM1/29/09
Thanks.
I have Nikon D50.
James

curt_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 29, 2009, 9:52:36 PM1/29/09
Do you have camera raw installed? In PS go to help/about plug-in/camera raw. You should have 1 and only 1 version listed.

james...@adobeforums.com

Jan 30, 2009, 10:10:15 AM1/30/09
When I clicked "/camera raw", I see this:

Adobephotoshp camera raw version. 5.2.0.65.

Is that the real camera raw plugin? I am asking this because I donot recall install camera raw plugin during the installation of CS4.

James

Geoff_K...@adobeforums.com

Jan 30, 2009, 10:26:22 AM1/30/09
James, that is the correct plugin. Did you do what I suggested in post #1 ?

Geoff.

james...@adobeforums.com

Jan 30, 2009, 11:46:26 AM1/30/09
Sorry about forgetting your comment. I followed your instruction.
It now works. Thank you again. James