CS2 SELECTION TROUBLE

Edwin_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2009, 7:14:41 PM1/24/09
I am in CS2 on an XP PROF machine, 500 GB HD, 3 GB RAM. Everything is working except the rectangular select tool: after selecting a rectangle on a one-layer image, the cursor stays as a little cross instead of the moving arrow that I am accustomed to. So I cannot move the selection, clicking the mouse just starts another rectangle.

I repaired CS2 from the Control Panel, then updated CS2 for a long time, etc. When through, same trouble remains.

Rob_K...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 5:58:38 AM1/25/09
Edwin,

First reset the preferences. Shut down PS and go into the My Documents\Application Data\Andobe\Photoshop... path and find the (...)preference.psp file.

Delete that. Your PS should then behave as factory default.

Since this file is created upon first launch, and not during install, it's going to be there after a reinstall.

Also check the forum FAQ about this.

Rob

Edwin_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 11:09:45 AM1/25/09
Hi - I have 4 \application data\ folders (under \all users\, \my name\, \administrator's documents\ etc. Only one of the \adobe\ subfolders contains \photoshop\ and it is \adobe photoshop cs3\ which contains settings\ and preset\ folders and files, but no preference.psp
I never installed cs3, I don't even have it. When I search for a preference file, no preference.psp comes up

What to do next?

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 11:36:29 AM1/25/09
turn on hidden files and folders in windows explorer to be able to see the preferences folder and files...

Pau...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 11:44:57 AM1/25/09
Save this one line script with a text editor as fileName.jsx then from Photoshop File - Scripts - Browse to where you saved the script.
When run it will open the folder containing all the Photoshop preference files.

Folder(app.preferencesFolder).execute();

KatW...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 2:53:05 PM1/25/09

CAPS LOCK KEY may have changed cursor view?
TRY THAT b4 all the other

Edwin_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 10:44:29 PM1/25/09
Paul R. where is Photoshop File?

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 26, 2009, 8:02:14 AM1/26/09
info on the preferences file in this faq:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

Edwin_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 26, 2009, 5:38:39 PM1/26/09
Have deleted .psp file - no help. Have reset all tools - no help. Have checked caps lock - no help. A rectangular selection can still not be moved. However, if I click Select > Transform selection, it is framed and I can rotate it or move it. After moving it with the frame and all, pushing enter, the selection is where I want it. The hard way seems the only way to move selections ?!

Ho

Jan 26, 2009, 7:29:18 PM1/26/09
You remember that you have to move the cursor *inside* the selection rectangle to move it, right? AND, that if any of the selection tool options are active (Add, Subtract, Intersect, etc.) then moving won't work. The only option that can be active is New Selection.

Edwin_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 27, 2009, 12:53:42 PM1/27/09
Thank you, Ho. You are a genius, and I am richly rewarded for using the forum.

Ho

Jan 27, 2009, 1:39:00 PM1/27/09

Thank you, Ho. You are a genius...

Yeah, I hear that a lot. :)

I am richly rewarded for using the forum.

We all are. Have a good day.