Crop Tool Gone Buggy CS2

t_b...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 5:50:33 AM2/1/09
All of a sudden, my crop tool doesnt function correctly. I used to drag it down and across, giving me complete control of the area to crop. When I released the mouse, it left me with the area to crop with drag points so I could 'bump' tiny adjustments. Now when I drag it straight down I get no vertical axis at all. Then if I move it horizontally, I get the vertical I dragged it to but to get the horizontal I need, I have to drag it diagonally but I end up with way too much vertical. When I release, there are no drag points for up/down/left/right, only points at the corners to drag horizontally. What the heck happened and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Phosąfour dots

Feb 1, 2009, 6:01:36 AM2/1/09
Look at the Options Bar.

There are probably values showing in the width and height fields.

Even if there are not, click on the "Clear" button.

That should fix it.

t_b...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 6:28:30 AM2/1/09
With the crop tool selected, there is a small drop down above the tool panel with the crop icon. The choices include other tool settings, and 5 for crop-4x6, 5x3, 5x4, 5x7 and 8x10. None of them make a difference, it acts the same way.

I see no "clear" button. On the right of the drop down, there are 2 small buttons, a round R pointing arrow and a square. I didnt use them til after I tried the different crop area choices. When I clicked the square, I got a "tool preset" pop up with that choice in it (like 5x7). When I used the arrow it gave me a long drop down, I chose "reset tool". That did it! And when I used the square again, the pop up says "crop tool 1"

Excellent, Thank you!

John Joslin

Feb 1, 2009, 6:33:02 AM2/1/09
If you see no "Clear " button the Options bar may be turned off.

t_b...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 6:48:27 AM2/1/09
Under "window" I have "options" checked. Where abouts would I see the "options" bar?

Rob_K...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 6:59:29 AM2/1/09
The Options Bar is above the image area, it should have a "Clear" button when the Crop Tool is the active tool. It's the item most to the right hand side.

Rob

t_b...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 7:14:33 AM2/1/09
Duh! I was looking right at it. How lame.

You guys are great, this forum is probably one of the most responsive of the ones I have used. Thanks.

Phosąfour dots

Feb 1, 2009, 9:11:21 AM2/1/09
Keep that "Reset Tool" trick in the back of your mind.

It's one of the first steps in troubleshooting. There's even an entry in the FAQ section here about it:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
(Scroll down to the last reply, and make sure you also look at the attached image.)