Why are my changes not saved?

Sher...@adobeforums.com

Mar 18, 2009, 3:36:23 PM3/18/09
Photoshop version 7
Windows XP operating system
1GB RAM
plenty of disk space

1-Photocopy of a bible page scanned as Bitmap, and converted to Grayscale in Photoshop.
2-Improvements made using either "levels" adjustment layers OR multiple layers set to either "screen" or "multiply."
3-Saving (flattening) causes the image to revert to the original.
4-If you know why, please respond to: clm...@yahoo.com

J_Ma...@adobeforums.com

Mar 18, 2009, 5:03:44 PM3/18/09
You're applying a curve to an image that only has two values (black and white). The preview looks ok, but is purely deceptive. Try applying your edits while viewing at 100% view. You can use two views of the image (window > arrange > new window for doc x) to have one at your favorite viewing percentage and one at 100%. You might try blurring by .25 to .75 px before messing with curves/levels.

Sher...@adobeforums.com

Mar 19, 2009, 4:55:29 PM3/19/09
The original has writing in both ink and pencil. So if I scan for one the other is either too dark or too light. If I convert the bitmap to RGB, will I be able to successfully use adjustment layers or is multiple scans the only way to work around this problem?