DPI problem

1 view

kelvin_ong...@adobeforums.com

Feb 15, 2009, 9:50:34 AM2/15/09
can adobe give me a copy of dpi table because i want to do a file 36 feet x 11 feet and other i don't no how to calculate the dpi can adobe give me a copy of photoshop dpi table???

john_pa...@adobeforums.com

Feb 15, 2009, 10:03:56 AM2/15/09

I don't think that there is such a table. I did a quick Google check and
it seems that 70dpi is common for a billboard of the size your looking
to do. You should ask the people that is going to print the file what
they want. One of the sites I looked at wanted the source file for that
large of print to be 300ppi (remember, ppi is not the same as dpi) and
1/12 the finished size. It would be very impracticable to try to send a
full size file to the printing company.

John Passaneau

boblevine

Feb 15, 2009, 10:05:37 AM2/15/09
70 ppi? I'd be thinking more along the lines of 20-25 ppi tops

Bob

Free...@adobeforums.com

Feb 15, 2009, 11:00:29 AM2/15/09
I've done banners at that size at 20, as per request of the printer.

Buko

Feb 15, 2009, 2:05:22 PM2/15/09
Talk to the printer

John_Me...@adobeforums.com

Feb 16, 2009, 8:35:44 AM2/16/09

Talk to the printer

Right.

And let's say the printer tells you 20ppi.

Use a multiple to work at a smaller size/higher ppi.

Because your output size is in feet, converting to inches makes it easy, with 12 as your multiple.

So make your work image 36 x 11 INCHES @ 240ppi, (20 x 12).

In 8-bit RGB mode, that's a manageable 65MB.

Free...@adobeforums.com

Feb 16, 2009, 8:51:18 AM2/16/09

Use a multiple to work at a smaller size/higher ppi.

Why? The file size stays the same, so why not have the correct dimensions?

John_T...@adobeforums.com

Feb 16, 2009, 11:38:09 AM2/16/09

can adobe give me

This is not Adobe support

This is a USER TO USER forum with the space provided by Adobe

Only other USERS post here

Phos....@adobeforums.com

Feb 16, 2009, 11:57:03 AM2/16/09
Only Mostly, other USERS post here

There. Fixed that for ya!

;) XD

John_Me...@adobeforums.com

Feb 16, 2009, 12:00:01 PM2/16/09

The file size stays the same, so why not have the correct dimensions?

True, of course. But, the OP seemed to be seeking image size/resolution relationship math. Even though it's not a necessity, a working image at the smaller dimensions can often be beneficial in the context of view management. Depending on the available monitor real estate, a 36 x 11 FOOT image at 100% zoom will be displaying a much smaller portion of its extents than a 36 x 11 INCH image will. And, fitting the entire larger image on screen would require a much smaller zoom level. The smaller working dimensions make managing the view and assessing the effects of operations easier to see and evaluate.

J_Ma...@adobeforums.com

Feb 16, 2009, 12:39:02 PM2/16/09

36 x 11 FOOT image at 100% zoom will be displaying a much smaller portion
of its extents than a 36 x 11 INCH image will

How does that work? I thought all this inch-to-foot stuff was a holdover from a 40-inch limit to artwork? An image with the same pixel dimensions will display the same is PS regardless of it's print size/resolution setting. Other RIP software might behave differently (which would be interesting to me).

John_Me...@adobeforums.com

Feb 16, 2009, 12:55:57 PM2/16/09

An image with the same pixel dimensions will display the same is PS regardless
of it's print size/resolution setting.

I stand corrected. Apparently, I wasn't accounting for the difference in resolution.

It's true: 36 x 11 IN @240ppi looks and behaves exactly the same as 36 x 11 FT @20ppi...in Photoshop.

Sorry if I confused anyone else.

Art

Feb 16, 2009, 5:29:38 PM2/16/09
48 foot wide billboard is 576 inches. At 10 dpi, you'd have a 5760x1680 for
a 14x48 foot billboard. That's about a ten meg picture. From a half a
block away (or more) that's plenty.

As Bob says, 20-25 dpi or ppi tops. (20 dpi for the same billboard is an
almost 40 meg image.)

<Free...@adobeforums.com> wrote in message