CS3 hangs in Vista 64 SP1 (sudden error)

Francisco...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 12:41:51 AM2/5/09
Hello,
I'm going to describe this as best as I can: I have Design Premium CS3 installed for a couple of days now on my new Vista64 Home Premium, and it was working perfectly until today. I installed: Illustrator, Indesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS3, Acrobat 8 out of the complete package. Suddenlty today, Photoshop will hang when I try to open it. Not even the intro screen appears, but the process can be seen in the task manager (processes tab), still open, but with a particular memory size: 4740 k (it doesn't change or nothing). CPU usage is at 00. It won't show in the application manager. The thing is, all the rest of the apps I installed work perfectly. Only PS is giving me this trouble.

I have been browsing this forums the whole night, and this is what I found as a possible solution: Vista64hates CS3, "Photoshop (CS3) Hangs When Started" #20, 12 Aug 2008 8:57 pm </webx?14@@.59b61ecd/19> (check out the guy who posts as VistaHatesCs3)

It didn't work. Can anybody help with this?

Thanks in advance,
Francisco G.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 7:57:39 AM2/5/09
reset the preferences, per the faq.

Francisco...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 9:48:25 AM2/5/09
Hey, I did that, but nothing would happen. Whats worse, is that I lost those pref files. Now the Adobe Photoshop CS3 settings Folder is empty! I have tried reinstalling the whole suite, and the error is still there. What should I do?

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 10:17:51 AM2/5/09
what do you mean you "lost the files"? anyway they should be recreated on first (successful) use.

i'd try to disconnect from the internet, disable firewall and anti-virus and try again. also might want to give that link in the other thread a try again. it does sound like something's trying to kick in and it's being stopped (the adobe licensing service most likely).

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 10:17:38 AM2/5/09
[double-post deleted...\]

Francisco...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 10:55:59 AM2/5/09
When I said I "lost the files", I meant that nothing can be found in the adobe ps cs3 settigns folder. I reinstalled the suite again, and PS won't start.. as you said it seems something is not letting it start completely. I don't think its the licensing service since the other Adobe apps work fine.. i think it has to do solely with photoshop.

Francisco...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 3:47:58 PM2/5/09
Hey Dave, thanks for your help. I looked at the Adobe tech docs, and their they mentioned about turning of some startup programs, to see if something is conflicting with PS. I did that, and on the next boot up PS worked! I still haven't found which program is the culprit, but maybe i'll leave it at that (as the system seems to be working fine.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 4:30:11 PM2/5/09
cool. sometimes a second look is what it takes. :)