Simply Opening a Photo - How?

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 17, 2009, 6:19:50 PM1/17/09
I just downloaded the trial version of Photoshop CS4 Extended to my Windows Vista Inspiron E1705. When I go to File, Open and locate my photo, it only opens the picture to a small thumbnail in the layers box. How do I get the photo to open to the main area? How do I enlarge the tiny thumbnail? There is no image in the main work area. It seems so simple, but I just can't figure it out. I've tried lightening the background and adding a layer. Please help with this most basic question!

Silkr...@adobeforums.com

Jan 17, 2009, 11:39:42 PM1/17/09
Something is wrong if you can not see it. What file format is the photo?

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 18, 2009, 12:20:09 AM1/18/09
its in jpeg

John Joslin

Jan 18, 2009, 3:02:40 AM1/18/09
It sound as if the image window is off screen. Try the following:

Press the "F" key a few times to cycle through the different screen modes.

Try different Workspace settings from the drop-down list.

If nothing helps try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 18, 2009, 4:33:19 PM1/18/09
I tried pressing the F key, but the screen is still black. Next I used the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method to open Adobe, got the dialogue box, tried to open the photo, but the screen is black. However, I noticed last night that when I try to crop the photo on the black screen I can't see, and click around a lot, the photo finally appears, but it is all faded out and with fine lines in it. Once I close the photo, and re-open it, it's back to the black screen. Please note that this is a new install and most of the factory defaults should still be set.

David_E_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 18, 2009, 5:32:51 PM1/18/09
Kim,

Do you know if the laptop has the intel grapics media accelerator 950 inside? Reason being is that it only supports opengl 1.4 and shader model 2.0.
CS4 requires opengl 2.0 and shader model 3.0 support to run correctly. Reading what you wrote your system is not up to spec's thus causing the problems.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 19, 2009, 6:26:01 PM1/19/09
David, Thanks for your response. I have a "Card, Graphics, 256MB, M54,9400 IMGA3". Is that the problem? Thanks! Kim

David_E_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 19, 2009, 8:14:24 PM1/19/09
Hi Kim,
That would be the problem. It is a Intel chip and cannot be upgraded on the motherboard. Google: m54 9400 imga3 grapics, if you wish to read about it.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 19, 2009, 9:55:07 PM1/19/09
David, Thanks so much for the info, but that is bad news. Do you know if there is any Photoshop product that my computer can run? Thanks for your continued help.

David_E_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 19, 2009, 10:31:51 PM1/19/09
Kim,
The best bet is to call adobe customer service and see what they can offer you. CS and CS2 might but may be hard to find on the net and if you did find a copy they may be fakes. Some people got burned by fake software on these boards.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 19, 2009, 11:30:30 PM1/19/09
Will call them. Thanks so much for all of your help.

John Joslin

Jan 20, 2009, 3:48:27 AM1/20/09

CS4 requires opengl 2.0 and shader model 3.0 support to run correctly.

That is not true. CS4 requires OpenGL 2.0 and Shader model 3.0 support to utilise the new effects but it should not affect the basic functions that we are talking about here!

Anthon...@adobeforums.com

Jan 20, 2009, 6:03:08 AM1/20/09
Kim: What file type are you trying to open (Raw, Jpg,...?) and what is it's size?

Anthony.

John Joslin

Jan 20, 2009, 6:20:41 AM1/20/09
She already mentioned that it's a JPEG.

Anthon...@adobeforums.com

Jan 20, 2009, 1:37:55 PM1/20/09
Thanks John...

Anthony.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 20, 2009, 8:47:56 PM1/20/09
The image size is 798.7 KB; jpg. It seems like the background is defaulted to black and that's why I can't view it. But I change the background to light grey and still can't view it.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 20, 2009, 9:44:40 PM1/20/09
create a new file with file> new. describe what happens.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 21, 2009, 10:12:57 AM1/21/09
I open Adobe Photoshop. The background is grey. I create a new file with file>new. A dialogue box opens. Name: Untitled-1; Preset: Default Photoshop Size; Width: 7"; Height: 5"; Resolution: 72 pixels/inch; Color Mode: RGB color, 8 bit; Background Contents: White; Image Size: 531.6K. When I click <ok> the screen goes black.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2009, 8:05:09 PM1/24/09
bump... there's another person experiencing similar.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2009, 8:05:07 PM1/24/09

David_E_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2009, 10:41:38 PM1/24/09
Kim,
There is no white box in the middle of the black background?

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2009, 11:44:30 PM1/24/09
No David, it's totally black.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2009, 11:48:52 PM1/24/09
Read the other thread. I'm running Vista Home Premium, too.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 24, 2009, 11:52:21 PM1/24/09
weird. what other similarities? how about video cards and current driver verisons?

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 12:33:04 AM1/25/09
It's gotta be the video card, driver, or some third party app/utility messing with the window display.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 12:40:21 AM1/25/09
If I'm not using video, would the video card still matter? When I open CS4 I get a pop up box message stating "Adobe Photoshop CS4 now includes graphics card acceleration. We recommend you visit your video manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers. For more information see: <http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404898>. Go there now?" I have been ignoring the message because I assumed the video card driver update wouldn't matter if I'm not using video.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 1:11:23 AM1/25/09
My display is ATI Mobility Radeon x1400. The driver was up to date. Can't figure out what other drivers, if any, should be updated. Btw, my Vista Home Premium is also 32 bit.

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Jan 25, 2009, 1:35:41 AM1/25/09
kim - your video card is the thing that makes your displays work. If you can see what the computer is doing, then your video card is involved. Read the message again, read the URL that it sends you to.

kim_e...@adobeforums.com

Jan 28, 2009, 11:44:20 PM1/28/09
It's very technical and I'm a bit confused as what to do next.

Reinier...@adobeforums.com

Mar 16, 2009, 4:04:18 PM3/16/09
Hey I had the same problem, the solution is easy. Just go to Edit>Preferences>Performance...>then uncheck the Enable OpenGL Drawing box. Open your pictures and you should see them!