cs3 stops running when opening a picture file

CRAIG_R_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 14, 2009, 10:36:58 PM3/14/09
HI, Ihave CS3 extended running on Vista.Program ran find for months until yesterday, Whenever I try to open a picture file CS3 stops working and shut down. It doesnt matter what type file. I removed program amd reinstalled, still got same probelem. Any suggestions on how to solve? thanks Craig

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Mar 14, 2009, 11:13:31 PM3/14/09
Does it freeze, or just hang for a while until your network printer times out?

CRAIG_R_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 14, 2009, 11:55:37 PM3/14/09
Hi Chris,to answer your question neither, when I attempt to open a picture file I get a window saying photoshop stop working and this closes the program. Program remaains stable as long as I don't attemp to open a picture file. Thanks for your concern...Craig

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 12:10:03 AM3/15/09
Does the same thing happen if you create a new document?

What about if you don't open a document, but let Photoshop sit for 5 minutes after launch?

CRAIG_R_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 12:57:43 AM3/15/09
Chris, using a new document I get the same result Photoshop cs3 just closes.If I don't open a document CS3 is stable until I close it....Craig

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 2:48:24 AM3/15/09
You never said it "just closes" - you said Windows gave you a "stopped responding" error.

But, it still sounds like your printer driver is crashing or timing out.

CRAIG_R_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 7:21:39 AM3/15/09
Chris,reading your comment I shut down my printer still get same result, I disabled my printer drivers I get same result. Every now and then I can open a picture. When I open a second picture it crashes telling me that the program stop working. Any suggestion at this point.....by the way thanks for the help......Craig

Zeno_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 7:42:12 AM3/15/09
it could be that it's windows update at fault, go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->View Installed Updates, sort them by date by clicking on "Installed On" and uninstall the most recently installed updates

CRAIG_R_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 12:25:26 PM3/15/09
Zeno, thanks for input but that didn't work. Funny thing about this is some time I can open 2 or three photos at a time before it crash and other time all it takes is the first picture file.......Craig

Zeno_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 12:45:14 PM3/15/09
Well, when stuff stops working it means that something happened that made it go haywire so what did you install/configure/do before this happened? have you installed some photoshop plugins? updated some drivers? installed some new software?

CRAIG_R_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 8:11:36 PM3/15/09
Zeno and Chis much thanks for help. It appear to be the printer driver. Just have to change the driver on printer and I should be good to go....Thanks ...Craig