RAM problem with CS3

Cars...@adobeforums.com

Mar 18, 2009, 3:46:34 PM3/18/09
Recently, if I open a file larger than 20 MB in CS3, the application begins to consume large amounts of RAM, sometimes more than 180 MB. It does this even when I just open the file and don't do anything to it for a few minutes. What performance settings should I change under Preferences to prevent this?

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 18, 2009, 4:23:10 PM3/18/09
1st thing to try if something weird suddenly occurs is to reset the preferences.

Alan...@adobeforums.com

Mar 18, 2009, 6:14:04 PM3/18/09
In previous versions of PS there was a similar-sounding problem that Adobe fixed by something called the 'adjusted refresh plug-in'.
Don't know if that applies to CS3.

Also, have you increased the 'number of history states' setting in the CS3 performance preferences? IIRC, history states can eat up RAM before changes are made, as PS reserves memory in advance for them.