Zip jpeg files for compression

John...@adobeforums.com

Feb 19, 2009, 11:33:48 AM2/19/09
Hi NOT strictly Photoshop, but I thought someone out here may help!

One of my clients wants their files sent securely on DVD. One suggestion was to ZIP the jpegs and then appy the password option.
Has anyone done this? As it is really for security I would save at minimum compression. But Does it affect the image quality?
Is there a better solution for secure delivery?

Thanks,
John

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Feb 19, 2009, 11:51:42 AM2/19/09
Zipping will not harm or aid image quality or overall file size. Zipping does very little to binary files like JPG. The zip process only offers password protection.

The best solution for secure delivery is to deliver what the client perceives to be the best option.

Myle...@adobeforums.com

Feb 19, 2009, 12:52:29 PM2/19/09
ZIP and secure? No way. RLE based compression schemes without additional scrambling can be cracked in minutes or even seconds just by brute force. If it must be a compressd file, RAR or 7z would be much better options. Apart from that the only true safety comes from full encryption and that can be done with tools such as PGP or TrueCrypt (both free/ with free versions) as well as a number of commercial products.

Mylenium

John_T...@adobeforums.com

Feb 19, 2009, 3:16:34 PM2/19/09
I have NOT used this free encryption program <http://www.truecrypt.org/> but you might take a look