Help: how to create shadows?

blacklight

Jun 27, 2009, 6:51:12 PM6/27/09
Have uploaded a shot ‘THE NON-CONFORMIST’ (http://www.oz-
greetings.com.au/photo). It shows many matchsticks in Australia’s
outback. Each stick ought to have a shadow . I tried to paint it in by
hand - impossible. Does anyone know of a way to do it?
Thanks for help - Klaus and Rusty

Bigguy

Jun 29, 2009, 4:32:25 AM6/29/09
blacklight wrote:
> Have uploaded a shot �THE NON-CONFORMIST� (http://www.oz-
> greetings.com.au/photo). It shows many matchsticks in Australia�s

> outback. Each stick ought to have a shadow . I tried to paint it in by
> hand - impossible. Does anyone know of a way to do it?
> Thanks for help - Klaus and Rusty
Well....

Duplicate the matches onto a new layer.

Use levels /selection etc. to make matches black on a transparent
background.

Use free transform to align black matches to original image, scale and
give direction of shadow.

Use opacity etc. to blend shadows into image.

There are other ways too...

Guy

blacklight

Jun 30, 2009, 9:51:10 PM6/30/09
On Jun 29, 6:32 pm, Bigguy <big...@gmail.com> wrote:
> blacklight wrote:
> > Have uploaded a shot ‘THE NON-CONFORMIST’ (http://www.oz-
> > greetings.com.au/photo). It shows many matchsticks in Australia’s

> > outback. Each stick ought to have a shadow . I tried to paint it in by
> > hand - impossible. Does anyone know of a way to do it?
> > Thanks for help - Klaus and Rusty
>
> Well....
>
> Duplicate the matches onto a new layer.
>
> Use levels /selection etc. to make matches black on a transparent
> background.
>
> Use free transform to align black matches to original image, scale and
> give direction of shadow.
>
> Use opacity etc. to blend shadows into image.
>
> There are other ways too...
>
> Guy

Many thanks for your reply Guy - much appreciated.
Cheers - Klaus