Making a line image sketchy

will_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 10:20:03 AM3/15/09

I can render out from my 3d software as line/contours such as in this link;

<http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/681/3dword.png>

But I want the render to look sketchy such as the renders produced from SketchUp;

<http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/beyondblog/sketchup-office.jpg>

I have tried the filters currently in Photoshop but not happy with the result. Could anyone suggest a plugin?

Many thanks!

Bart_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 11:02:11 AM3/15/09
part of the problem is that the first image does not contain any grays, this would be helpful in getting the effect that you want in PS.

will_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 11:45:17 AM3/15/09
So what if the line was grey? Would that help?

Bart_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 12:19:44 PM3/15/09
I don't think that making the image one colour grey would help. There are various greys in the second image that would contribute to the 'sketchiness'.

Denn...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 12:48:44 PM3/15/09
The first problem, will, is that you are trying to generate new 3D information from what is essentially a 2D image. The text is in perspective but since you are bringing it into PS as an 2D image, there is no way for PS to recognize the 3D-ness of the image.

The second problem is that PS, unless you have the Extended version, is essentially a 2D image editor.

Given those two problems, here are some ideas:

- Do everything in a 3D program. You mentioned Sketchup and it has a free version so that could be an option.

- Fake it in Photoshop. This could range from the pretty easy:

<http://www.creativepro.com/article/photoshop-how-to-editing-a-drop-shadow>

... to the more sophisticated:

<http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/3dtext/>

will_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 1:09:16 PM3/15/09
Thanks but I don't want to create 3d text! I've been creating all kinds of 3D text for the last 10 years. Ignore the 3d text part, the image was just an example.

I want to make the clean contour lines of the image more 'sketchy' a 2d program.

Denn...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 1:37:34 PM3/15/09
Have you tried the Cutout filter in the Artistic filer group? That should help roughing up the lines a bit if that is what you mean by "sketchy". Combining in some Paint Daubs filter might also help.

KatW...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 4:17:52 PM3/15/09
turn it to a path and stroke it with a textured brush?

will_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 4:23:22 PM3/15/09
Hi thanks. How do I turn it to a path? That's a jpg.

KatW...@adobeforums.com

Mar 15, 2009, 10:28:01 PM3/15/09
How do I turn it to a path?
select the black with select color range\
change selection to a path (bottom of path palette)
stroke path