Cannot install Photoshop CS3 - Installer just dissappeared

Chayuth_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 6:04:03 AM4/21/07
I have an issue installing Photoshop CS3 as follow:

I have removed all Photoshop CS3 Beta manually (Use control panel, deleted files and registries) as instructed in this web and get rid of all thing involved Adobe out of my computer.

When I clicked Setup.exe, a setup windows (See in <http://www.thetaforce.com/image/cs3installer.jpg)> appeared and then disappear!
Then nothing is happenned further. No error message. It just disappeared.

I tried to run Windows in clean mode (msconfig -> disable unneccessary services) and also disable Antivirus and Firewall etc. But this problem persists.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (32Bit) and have Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz with 1.5GB of Ram (DDR2) and 100GB HDD. Graphic shared Intel 945GM Express Chipset.

Joe_Z...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 8:15:25 AM4/21/07
I have seen rare instances when an application will not install directly from the CD. Copy the entire CD to a folder on your disk drive, then run setup.exe (or maybe autorun.exe) from that folder.

Chayuth_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 8:52:58 AM4/21/07
Yes I tried so but it is still the same.

Six...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 8:59:38 AM4/21/07
Same problem here.

I have dualboot machine and I tried install to WinXP Pro SP2 and to Vista Ultimate - Installer just quits and thats all.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2,4
MB Asus P5B Intel P965
2 Gb RAM DDR2-6400 Corsair
Asus Radeon X1900XT 512MB
free HDD 41 GB (XP SP2) and 99 GB (Vista)

But in both OS have installed the same Adobe products:
Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (and ImageReady)
Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

Maybe conflict is in installed software...

Joe_Z...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 9:15:01 AM4/21/07
Chayuth, why did you uninstall CS3 beta manually? Try installing it again, then uninstall it with Add/Remove Programs. If you are lucky, it may clean itself out better this time. Good luck!

John_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 10:02:07 AM4/21/07
I have the same problem on xp sp2. I've been tearing my hair out for nigh 12 hours trying to resolve this one. I followed the uninstall process to the letter, tried the scipt, removed every adobe application (LR CS2 cs3beta and acrobat), cleaned the registry of key etc and even went through the manual removal process more than a few times.

If I check the event viewer, the msiintaller exits gracefully and states that Product: Adobe Setup -- Configuration completed successfully. But it's not installed?

I reinstalled CS3beta and reactivated it, as I thought this might have been an issue, so I deactivated and went the the whole process again including downloading the 400 mb update file.

The log file in the /common files/installer is generated and my source files are on the same volume. I'm now wondering whether my AVirus application might have something to do with it, but every other adobe application installs without a hitch.

The mind boggles!

Chayuth_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 10:07:19 AM4/21/07
I wrote that "I have removed all Photoshop CS3 Beta manually (***Use control panel***, deleted files and registries) as instructed in this web". This means I uninstalled by using add/remove programs first, of course.

Besides, I don't keep the beta installer.

Joe_Z...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 11:23:24 AM4/21/07
Chayuth and John, I now remember that a couple of weeks ago, while rearranging things on my computer, I removed CS3 beta. When I tried to reinstall it, the installer program hung. I don't remember exactly which action I took to get it working again, but it was probably one of these three things:

1) Add/Remove Programs does not remove the CS3 beta folder from Program Files. Do that manually.

2) Open Windows Explorer, right-click on the C: drive and select Properties, then Disk Cleanup. Check every box except "Compress old files."

3) The above step cleans out most everything except the Temp folder. To do this manually, do Start>Run, then enter %temp%. Delete everything that Windows will let you delete.

I hope one of those things will work for you guys, because I can't recall anything else I did.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 12:22:36 PM4/21/07
Thanks Joe,

I've tried all of these and still no luck. I'm now thinking there's something wrong with the installer. I've burnt so much time on this its getting out of hand. I could try a complete re-install of XP as one last resort, but i'll wait until monday and get in touch with support.

I would put it down to my own inexperience but having 20+ years in software / hardware development, suggests that its something more fundamental.

I'm reading on other forums that there's a few other people in the same boat, so lets see how adobe play this one out.

Thanks for you help.

Bert_St...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 1:43:25 PM4/21/07
Yes I have the exact same problems with XP Pro. Tried everything. Its not related to beta cs3. I can install and unintall the beta no problem with add and remove, clean the files with the new script wincs3clean and it quits after the files are "initialized" and setup box flashes on and shuts down. Adobe support so far has no clue but has heard of the problem. This is really frustrating and a waste of time.

Pipkin

Apr 21, 2007, 6:56:00 PM4/21/07
Similar problem. Installation runs, finishes and shows that Photoshop CS3 was not installed (only several Shared components). Nothing more information. It's bad, because I need logs to clarify the source of the issue.
Tryed to log on WinXP under other User Account (as Administrator) but in this case, when this <http://www4.0zz0.com/2007/04/20/19/26975031.png> window open I got pop-up with something like Internet Explorer (???) script error... and everything was stopping.

No ideas about new Adobe adventure software...

Michael_D...@adobeforums.com

Apr 21, 2007, 10:52:32 PM4/21/07
Try uninstalling IE 7, running the install, then reinstalling IE 7. Some people have found this helps.

Six...@adobeforums.com

Apr 22, 2007, 12:11:49 AM4/22/07
But in Vista IE7 is integrated part of OS...

Michael_D...@adobeforums.com

Apr 22, 2007, 1:21:37 AM4/22/07
Obviously you can't uninstall IE7 in Vista...

Matthe...@adobeforums.com

Apr 22, 2007, 2:20:51 AM4/22/07
SAme problem on Vista X86, the installer comes up, then just dissapears... I've installed successfully one my XP sp2 pc's but it just wont install on vista :<

Six...@adobeforums.com

Apr 22, 2007, 2:43:19 AM4/22/07
Is there installed IE7 on your XP PC?

Matthe...@adobeforums.com

Apr 22, 2007, 2:55:22 AM4/22/07
no

John_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 22, 2007, 5:03:45 AM4/22/07
I have IE7 installed on my XPSP2 pc, i'd be interested to see if this is the root cause.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 22, 2007, 7:40:28 AM4/22/07
I've since removed IE7, cleaned the registry and tried installing CS3 again, still no joy. Same problem.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 23, 2007, 10:06:59 PM4/23/07
Im having the same issue as Matthew Hirst. The installer initializes then vanishes. Ive done everything known to the digital world including completely uninstalling all adobe products and my anti-virus, disconnecting back up drives, loading from the hard drive, sacrificing a small animal, selling my soul to satan after doing the hokey pokey while naked and painted like an easter egg. No go. Im on XP-MCE. *sighs* Ah well, back to reinstalling CS2 I suppose.

Barbara...@adobeforums.com

Apr 23, 2007, 11:33:41 PM4/23/07
I am running Windows XP. I tried to install Photoshop CS3. Two drives would not recognize the disk yet they recognized other disks. An external drive did, but I had the same problem as Pipkin (#10) did. ...only a few shared components were installed. I had turned off my virus software...tried installing from the desktop...don't have Zone Alarm on my machine. I installed Lightroom last week, and it installed fine. I used "Add and Remove Programs" to remove any trace of CS3 before trying to install it yet another time. My version is an "Upgrade" and the latest version I have on my machine is CS2. I am not a Techie so I am not going to wipe my computer clean.

Absolu...@adobeforums.com

Apr 24, 2007, 3:03:18 AM4/24/07
I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with a core 2 duo e6700 and 8800GTX OC. Same problem as everyone else being that the setup executables wont load. Quick loading bar then it dissapears.

Guy_S...@adobeforums.com

Apr 24, 2007, 3:37:20 AM4/24/07
I have just been through a five-hour nightmare of installing Photoshop CS3, and appear finally to have a successful installation. I had the same problem reported here: start setup, a small dialog saying it was initializing appears and progress bar advances. Dialog disappears and nothing more happens.

I deactivated and uninstalled the CS3 beta. Install of Photoshop CS3 from the distribution DVD failed. Then I went down some long involved rabbit holes! The CS3 cleanup script wouldn't run because the Windows Installer Cleanup utility wasn't installed. Downloaded the latest version of that, and it wouldn't install complaining about a VBScript error. Lots of searching the web for solutions to that, including massive permission changes to the registry, which didn't work. Ended up restoring the registry to a previous state, then found an older version of Windows Installer Cleanup utility that would install.

Ran CS3Cleanup levels 1 and 2 and install still wouldn't work.

Before giving up for the night, I tried copying the Adobe CS3 folder from the DVD to a hard drive and ran setup from there. Got the same progress window and then finally a regular window telling me to stop firefox and retry. I did, and setup ran to completion.

What's really bizarre is that although I started setup from the hard drive copy, the DVD was spinning throughout the installation. This suggest to me that installation was occurring from the DVD even though I had started it from the hard drive.

So it appears that copying the Adobe CS3 folder to a hard drive was the magic incantation that worked for me.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 24, 2007, 9:50:06 AM4/24/07
I finally got CS3 to install last night, I decided to vanilla install XP sp2 from scratch using a ghost copy.

I then ran the installer from the same physical disk but diffrent partition and I got 2 errors, CS3 and shared components failed to install. I was just about to throw the towel in, having cleanned my pc back to nothing but base XP sp2 install and then I thought why not put the whole 460mb package on the root or C:.

I ran the installer and uncompressed the file, which created the installer and executed. The options screen popup (at last!!) and I chose the default install location and few minutes later, CS3 was installed and running.

I then spent the next couple of hours updating XP with 80+ security patches, IE7 and all my other applications.

This may seem a bit drastic, but I can only conclude that this problem had nothing to do with CS3beta but rather a conflict with one or some XP security updates / patches.

Also, there must be something inherently wrong with the CS3 installer scripts, perhaps absolute rather dynamic file addressing as it just would not work if I put the installer on a different drive.

I've burnt nigh on 20 hours on this upgrade and finally have it running.

Focusing on the positives, my pc is running a lot quicker and has less bloatware than before, however getting a PC to be stable takes a lot of time and effort, which I now have to contend with. In fact, IE 7 is already crashing more than it did previsouly!

Looking on the bright side, I finally have access to my CS3beta PSDs with LR working in harmony.

I do hope others can solve the problem in a less drastic manner. For me, I felt it better to work from a know XP build to isolate the many variables.

Bert_St...@adobeforums.com

Apr 24, 2007, 3:34:35 PM4/24/07
I am still trying to install my cs3 on XP pro SP2. Tried even to load it under diagnostic mode with just windows installer running. Same "silent exit" from setup.exe dialog box after initialization of files. Whats frustrating is that I dont get any error messages. It does leave an install log which I have forwarded to Adobe, but still waiting for an intelligent answer.
The last one was to make sure I cleared my Temp files and had enough disk space. Argh!!
It will be a week now since I purchased this upgrade, obviously not worth the price.

Wesley...@adobeforums.com

Apr 24, 2007, 4:10:33 PM4/24/07
Boy, these threads sound like my day yesterday trying to get CS3 extended installed on my laptop. The installation on my desktop went without a hitch. I got the same install window that would close after it got through doing whatever it was doing. I spent half the day yesterday talking to 3 different techs at Adobe and still no luck. The last tech told me that he thought it was a conflict with the OS (Winxp Home) but I just didn't have the patience by that time to wipe out my hard disk to get a program to install. I tried everything that the techs told me. My computer was a mess. Finally, before I went to bed, I hooked my desktop and laptop together with a laplink USB cable and ran PCmover to copy my entire desktop hard drive over to the laptop. It took all night to move all over but this morning I had a working CS3. All I had to do was re-activate it and that went quickly. Finally, I had to remove all of the stuff from my desktop that I didn't want on my laptop. That is my story. (whew)

papa_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 26, 2007, 8:01:48 AM4/26/07
Hello, i had the same problem of the installer suddenly disappearing, all i can say is that after days of trying everything (except formatting)somehow i was able to install.

Things i've been doing before it miraculously didn't vanished were: using mirc, msn, firefox with lots of tabs, using windows installer cleanup and removing adobe setup, trying to open setup.exe with poweriso 3.7 (i know i was frustrated), then i doubleclick setup.exe and it didn't disappeared.

I know im not of much help, but i want to tell you that there is hope to that issue.

Wesley...@adobeforums.com

Apr 26, 2007, 8:10:47 AM4/26/07
A continuation to my story. After my last report, CS3 stopped working. I spent a couple of days talking to Adobe tech support but we just couldn't get the new CS3 installed. All sorts of other things happened during the fix up: lost my audio, lost my wireless connectivity, lost my Wacom tablet function. I finally had to do a repair reinstall Windows XP, reinstall all security updates and then try the setup once again. There were many steps that we went through (I can't remember them all) before we finally got the installer to run. Once the installer started, it took maybe 40 minutes for the program to install. The progress bar just seemed not to move. I just went away and let it go. Finally, installation finished and now the program works as it should. I had to have some help to get the audio back and I found out how to re-connect and the tablet works again. (whew). I would say that it takes a lot of perseverance. The Adobe techs were great in trying to get things to work but my listening ear is a bit sore. I hope you can get yours to work.

Philip_Tim...@adobeforums.com

Apr 26, 2007, 2:36:03 PM4/26/07
I found the problem you are all having installing CS3 in Vista.
If you need any more help contact me via my web site where I'm more than happy to help you. contact me -> <http://www.htmlblock.co.uk>

Manually register the jscript.dll file.

On Windows Vista32:

1. Choose Start > All Programs > Accessories.
2. Right-click the Command icon, choose Run As Administrator, and authenticate.
3. Navigate to Windows\System32.
4. At the prompt, type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press Enter.
5. When a dialog box with the message "DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded" appears, click OK.

On Windows Vista64:

1. Choose Start > All Programs > Accessories.
2. Right-click the Command icon, choose Run As Administrator, and authenticate.
3. Navigate to Windows\SysWow64.
4. At the prompt, type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press Enter.
5. When a dialog box with the message "DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded" appears, click OK.

I found the solution to the problem after looking though log files and I found an error with the code 2739. So no cleanup or all that rubbish, just follow steps above and CS3 will install as well as CS2 did!

Philip Smith
Founder of HTMLBlock.co.uk

ENJOY :)

Bert_St...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2007, 1:28:51 AM4/27/07
Well,

I have been at this for 10 days now and getting fustrated.
Trying every solution possible and re-installing xp pro. Every time the install quietly exists, The log the installation leaves quits at the same place. When it tries to look at the installed MSI applications, Instead of listing all the existing installs on your machine, it just quits. The event viewer tells me every time that the adobe installer has completed successfully. HA !
Why dod ADOBE change their installer from the Beta, it worked flawlessly for me and still does.
Contrary to some of you, my adobe support techs are of no use, and generally get told by supervisors I suppose to have me format C:
UNACCEPTABLE. All other Adobe products install no problem including Acrob 8 just purchased.
I would be curious is your install logs PF\Common files\Adobe Installers stop at the same point as mine last line being "MSI Installed Products" (should be listing all programs..) I dont know why Adobe wants to find out what programs I am running....I guess they never use this log and have never asked me about its content.
Good luck to all with the same problem

Philip_Tim...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2007, 3:05:34 AM4/27/07
I don't use XP so I can't tell you about XP issues all I can suggest is after a failed install, start -> run -> %temp% then look in the log files and check for any error code, google it, or search adobe for answer. A answer will be out their for XP. For Vista users check my other post two above!

Philip Smith.

Anthon...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2007, 5:51:32 AM4/27/07
Totally strange - but success at last!

did all the things I have read about on the 'net:-

Deactivate CS3 beta
Uninstall ALL Adobe products in the end
Ran cleanscript more than once
Uninstalled Bonjour
Removed Firefox
Allowed the setup.exe through the DEP
Copied the DVD contents onto the C:\ drive to run from there
etc. etc.

But to no avail. Installer flashed up the progress bar pane, then just disappeared

Today I decided to roll back to my backup image, so after changing the startup sequence in the BIOS to 'see' the DVD first, I started up Vista with the DVD. As I was unsure about proceeding, I quit the installation process before doing anything, starting Windows normally. Almost a reflexisive action I tried the CS3 install and - voila! off it went.

If this helps somebody then I would be extra happy (although tired and frustrated that Adobe doesn't seem to have dealt with this problem).

Anthony.

Six...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2007, 6:18:46 AM4/27/07
I started up Vista with the DVD and I choose repair current OS.
Then I quit the installation process before doing anything - still installer disappeares.
:(

Philip_Tim...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2007, 6:33:34 AM4/27/07
do as i said it works, 100% much easier than all your messing about tring to install it, formats, clean ups, etc... it takes 30 secs not days!!

Six...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2007, 6:48:50 AM4/27/07
If you think we didn't try this , you are wrong.

Mathias_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2007, 9:09:22 AM4/27/07
Philip,

'Your' solution to error code 2739 is already in the knowledge base, and has been mentioned here a few times already.

Bert,

About the log quitting when looking at the MSI applications, you might want to try Microsoft Installer cleanup utility: <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301>

As well as removing flash player from the system.

Worth a shot, anyway.

Mathias

equipo....@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2007, 12:08:29 AM4/28/07
Hello to all :-)

First of all excuse my english. Perhaps this fix will works for somebody

- Go to Control Panel --- Internet Properties --- Programs tab, and make Internet Explorer your default browser. That愀 all.

Saludos :-)

Equipo Monigote.

Dana_B...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2007, 5:14:45 AM4/28/07
Equipo is THE MAN!

I've spent countless days screwing around trying to get CS3 to install. I've spent 2 hours on the phone with Adobe Support trying all sorts of nerdy computer things I barely understood.

The Adobe Tech Support guy even concluded that I had a "bad install disk" and Customer Service sent me a new one!

And each time, I'd pop in the disk, click the Install PS3, watch the initialization progress bar window do its thing and then....nothing.

Now along comes Equipo with an absurdly simple suggestion and...

IT WORKS!
9:08pm Apr 27, 07 PST (#36 of 36)

Hello to all

First of all excuse my english. Perhaps this fix will works for somebody

- Go to Control Panel --- Internet Properties --- Programs tab, and make Internet Explorer your default browser. That愀 all.

Saludos

Equipo Monigote.

I made IE my default browser, and the installation went perfectly.

Why does it work? No idea. I leave it to the computer whizzes out there to figure that out.

Okay, disclaimer time: this solution worked on a PS3 upgrade from CS(1), no beta version installed, on a PC running XP sp2.

Thanks again, Equipo, and Good Luck, y'all. I hope this KISS solution works for the rest of those frustrated folks out there.

Dee
www.CatchTheSunrise.com

Bert_St...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2007, 4:02:30 PM4/28/07
Gee I wish it were that simple. I have been at this for 12 days now and NADA..I have tried everything, reinstall XP pro. Adobe's solution. Format C: and just run PSCS3.
This is a joke. Either they pump out a new installer (same as Beta) and I will try again or in two weeks its refund time.
Why have they changed the installer from Beta ? certainly no improvement. I can still intall Beta 3 no problem, runs fine. I dont think their clean script is all that encompassing. It still leaves some registry traces behind.
They should follow the simple rule of "if it works, don't fix it" as far as the installer goes.

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2007, 4:24:56 PM4/28/07
I hope that Equipo's suggestion works for those having problems, but I can tell you that IE is not my default browser. I use Firefox, and had no problems with the install.

Mathias_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2007, 6:01:47 PM4/28/07
Same story as Nick, I'm afraid.

Michael_D...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2007, 7:14:01 PM4/28/07
Me, too.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2007, 10:05:04 PM4/28/07
me... um 4. firefox.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 29, 2007, 3:09:44 AM4/29/07
Thats it! I'm getting out the chickens and the paint!

Toon_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 29, 2007, 1:42:40 PM4/29/07
Thx a lot Philip Timothy Smith for your solution:
Philip Timothy Smith, "Cannot install Photoshop CS3 - Installer just dissappeared" #28, 26 Apr 2007 11:36 am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bc3b755/27>

Ken_M...@adobeforums.com

Apr 29, 2007, 5:30:06 PM4/29/07
So far and hours later I have tried all suggestions without a good install. Symptoms are after 20 plus minutes of install time I get a screen that says: Successfully installed 1 component (shared components), errors: 2 components 'X' Adobe Photoshop CS3 (component install failed), 'X' Shared Components (component install failed)....

Adobe Bridge CS3 executes from the folder C:\program files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS3 as does Adobe Stock Photos. There is no folder for Adobe Photoshop CS3.....

Background: Win XP Prof SP2 with latest upgrades, set IE as default, have Adobe CS3 upgrade with already installed: Adobe CS2, Adobe Elements 4, Photoshop Album, Adobe Reader 8.0

I do not want to reformat and reinstall Win XP Prof and all my other programs -- we are talking days.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 29, 2007, 5:48:17 PM4/29/07
Nor should you have to Ken. Im sorry but to charge people over 500$ for a program.. ONE PROGRAM.. then tell them in order to use that program they have to completely wipe out their system, which most people dont know how to do so they would have to hire a tech to do that. More money out of thier pocket. When people start demanding refunds, contacting credit card companies and the sales decline because of all the problems, it will get figured out. Give it a few weeks. Thats what Im doing.

Philip...@adobeforums.com

Apr 29, 2007, 5:55:15 PM4/29/07
To add to the confusion: I have two computers, both set up with XP and CS2. My newer computer with more programs will not install the CS3 upgrade. Same problem as many of you have talked about. My older one, with fewer programs installs theCS3 upgrade perfectly. My son the computer genious can't figure it out at all. We tried almost everything listed here. Uninstalled the virus protection and firewall, uninstalled IE 7, cleaned the registry after the first attempt failed. Prayed to the computer god in the sky, no luck. guess I'll call Adobe again Monday and try a different tech then the one that suggested I need to re-install my operating system.

Toon_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 30, 2007, 3:11:41 AM4/30/07
Maybe this works for some people:
Rowan Wittels, "If Creative Suite 3 Design Premium installation on Vista Ultimate exits as it starts, read here." #, 24 Apr 2007 1:20 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bc3bea8>

Philip_Tim...@adobeforums.com

Apr 30, 2007, 3:24:36 AM4/30/07
following my other post about the fix in vista.

in vista 64bit their are two copies of jscript.dll a 32bit and 64bit to install please start both.

the 32bit jscript is in folder system32 and the other 64bit is found in folder SysWow64.

You can click and drag them on to the file regsvr32 which will start them.

OK for those who still don't understand just ask for help from me, and I could make a video clip for you or something?

Chayuth_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 30, 2007, 5:13:39 AM4/30/07
OK, the new cleanup tools for Windows can solve this.
Problem fixed for me. But it seems there's need to uninstall ALL of Adobe products before using this tool.

Thank you for every reply.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 30, 2007, 10:40:39 PM4/30/07
What new clean up tools? Did they release something in the last few days?
Phillip: Not everyone is on Vista and this solution doesnt work for EVERYONE who is on it. It isnt an abosolute solution.

Philip_Tim...@adobeforums.com

May 1, 2007, 3:02:15 AM5/1/07
Would you all like to to find the solution for Windows XP problems with CS3, if so give me the weekend to sort it. How I fix problems is easy think of it like a puzzle and you need to find the missing peice, to do this you first find where the problem is happening, then look at why it's happening by looking at the source code of the application then you will see the problem. So if you can't do this I will setup a XP machine and sort it for you. p.s. I may have to make a little patch or something if this Adobe's fault with XP and I will make a exe file which you run on your machine to fix it?

Then Adobe should pay me :) !!!

Philip.

dave_...@adobeforums.com

May 1, 2007, 6:50:18 AM5/1/07
what a great idea philip!!! whoo hoo!

Ste...@adobeforums.com

May 1, 2007, 7:44:18 AM5/1/07
Pure genius.

Phos....

May 1, 2007, 8:28:15 AM5/1/07
Have at it, Big Phil!

Jason Drabek (WCIS?)

May 1, 2007, 9:43:01 AM5/1/07
You're way too freakin' awesome, Philip!

Unknown

May 1, 2007, 10:04:55 AM5/1/07
We're not worthy

Philip_Tim...@adobeforums.com

May 1, 2007, 10:17:04 AM5/1/07
see video <http://cromerhigh.org/cs3.avi> i made may help??? wait until wkend. I know its dreamweaver (all i have at work) but uses same installer as photoshop. This will prob not fix your problems though, (just might)???

gor...@adobeforums.com

May 1, 2007, 11:49:21 AM5/1/07
Background:
It took me a few hours to roughly figure out what happens on my
system and till now I'm still not absolutely sure why the error appears, but
certainly Javascript, IE and the Adobe installer are involved.
To be more specific: The installer quits with an exception
when javascript tries to open "window.external.ANYMETHOD".
Since the problem is NOT SOLVED and only BYPASSED in the follwing steps you might
want to wait for a better solution from Adobe itself (RECOMMENDED),
but with this way I got all products installed and removed again.

0. This workaround is only tested on Windows XP SP2 with Adobe CS3 Design Premium.
To fully complete the next steps be sure you have some experience in handling a
text editor and the Windows Explorer.

1. Start the Setup as usual and let it copy over a few files
and than - after a short popup - let him disappear. There shouldn't be
any other errors except the described above, otherwise you have to deal
with these first (eg. run the cleanup script, if the setup complains
about an allready running installation etc).

2. Now open up your Windows Explorer and go to
[C]:\[Program Files]\[Common Files]\Adobe\Installers\c14ac4070fd9614ffe63f4bb533db2c\resources\common\scripts
( "[]" Depending on your installation and language).
Alternatively you can press [WinKey]+R and type in:
"%CommonProgramFiles%\Adobe\Installers\c14ac4070fd9614ffe63f4bb533db2c\resources\common\scripts"

3. Locate a file called "ContainerProxy.js" in the opened Window and
open it with a text editor of your choice (notepad will be adequate).
Right click on the file -> Open with -> Notepad.

4. Go to line 1102 or simply search for
"jsonObj = _jsonToObject(window.external.SetSessionInitialized(initValue));"
and replace this line with
"jsonObj = _jsonToObject(SetSessionInitialized(initValue));"

5. Save the file by pressing [Strg]+S or use the menu:
Menu -> File Save.

6. Startup up the installation process again and this time the
installer shouldn't quit and hopefully you will be able to install.

You can simply undo any changes by removing the Adobes "Installers" folder
[C]:\[Program Files]\[Common Files]\Adobe\Installers
and run the Setup again or replace the line in Step 4 with
the original one.
"jsonObj = _jsonToObject(window.external.SetSessionInitialized(initValue));"

If I get some time I will further examine how to reproduce and solve
the problem.

HTH
gorodek

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 1, 2007, 1:23:54 PM5/1/07
I dont even have this folder :( I did alter the JS straight off the DVD tho after I had copied it to the HD and that didnt work either.

Six...@adobeforums.com

May 2, 2007, 12:35:00 AM5/2/07
Yesss! It works for me!!!
(Vista Ultimate, Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended).
Thanks, Gorodek

John Joslin

May 2, 2007, 4:36:55 AM5/2/07
Good work!

But not a solution for the artists and photographers who don't want to look under the hood!

Talk to Adobe Support there is no charge for dealing with installation problems.

m...@adobeforums.com

May 2, 2007, 5:23:30 AM5/2/07
Gorodek's EASY "solution" worked for me (with WinXP). Thank you!!!

I skipped step 2 as instead of "...c14ac407..." in the middle of the string I had "...719d6...". So, I simply did a search for "ContainerProxy.js", found the file and edited it accordingly.

I have a couple of questions...

1. Will keeping the newly edited ContainerProxy.js file as is affect any other (Adobe) programs?

2. What happens if I restore the ContainerProxy.js file to its original state, now that CS3 is installed and operating correctly?

I'm just trying to figure out what potential drawbacks, if any, that this patch may have...

Bert_St...@adobeforums.com

May 2, 2007, 8:57:29 PM5/2/07
Gorodek's "solution" worked for me (with WinXP Pro SP2).

Thanks a million !!! I had been at this with a vengence since April 17, trying all sorts of goofy guesses from Adobe Support team. Short of Format C; (not an option) but doing everything else including wiping out 1/2 dozen Adobe programs clean, nothing worked.
Gorodek's solution is quick, simple and worked as it should.

SHAME ON YOU ADOBE FOR RELEASING SUCH POORLY CONSTRUCTED INSTALLER.

---Gorodek, if you are ever passing thru AZ, dinner is on me.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 11:38:14 AM5/3/07
GORODEK YOU ARE THE MAN! I finally got around to fiddleling with every thing again and found the folder did what you said and it WORKED!

Luke_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 11:53:59 AM5/3/07
Thank God for Gorodek!!! After a week or so of seething hatred for trying to install CS3, finally something that worked!

don_s...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 12:07:42 PM5/3/07
This certainly looks like a solution for when the installer just dies at the start. I wonder if it will work for others, for those where the installer runs but only puts on parts rather than the whole, or where setup says the installer is 'corrupt', etc. Worth a try in any event!!!!!

Gorodek deserves a medal in any case.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 12:29:50 PM5/3/07
Now, if he could figure out what to adujust with the DW and Flash installs Id offer to give him a child. *smirks* Yea, every single CS3 installer I have is doing the same crap. *sighs*

Six...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 12:42:19 PM5/3/07
There is no difference what installer you use - CS3 Web Premium, CS3 Design Premium, Photoshop Extended or Dreamweaver.

Just find another installer folder
[C]:\[Program Files]\[Common Files]\Adobe\Installers\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\resources\common\scripts
and make same changes in ContainerProxy.js.

Thats all.

dc...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 12:54:21 PM5/3/07
I'm afraid I haven't waded through all the previous posts to see if my point has been raised already but just wanted to say that I could not install PSCS3 or Dreamweaver CS3 on a Vista Ultimate machine - the setup window disappeared - until an Adobe Tech told me to try -

1. Create a new Administrator
2. Install the program
3. Get rid of the new Administrator.

This worked for me on both programs.

David

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 2:08:16 PM5/3/07
Nope Six666 even after the js editing I still get the same thing.

Six...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 2:23:54 PM5/3/07
After you have made changes in ContainerProxy.js You must run installer Setup.exe in Adobe\Installers\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX folder.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 2:31:37 PM5/3/07
No go. Nothing even starts up with that. God this is getting so irritating. Thank you for helping tho. I really do appriciate it. I got so happy when I got Photoshop to install lol.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 2:36:46 PM5/3/07
Alright, now Im getting an error that says "Sessions has dependancies that cannot be satisfied" Blech.. what next...

Six...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 2:40:34 PM5/3/07
Let’s see again.

1. Start the (Photoshop Extended) Setup as usual and let him disappear.
2. Now You have \Adobe\Installers\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX\resources\common\scripts folder
in which you make changes (ContainerProxy.js).
3. Then You run again Setup.exe in \Adobe\Installers\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and make installation to end.
4. Now start the DreamWeaver Setup and let him disappear.
5. Now you have new folder \Adobe\Installers\YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY\resources\common\scripts.
6. Make changes in ContainerProxy.js and run Setup.exe in \Adobe\Installers\YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY folder.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 4:27:18 PM5/3/07
Its not working for me hun.. sorry :( One odd thing I noticed is I'm getting two new install folders instead of one. One had the setup.exe and payloads folder and the other has the rest in it.

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 7:24:14 PM5/3/07
Nevermind, I got it! :)

pol...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2007, 8:10:15 PM5/3/07
Hey Guys, I think i solved it!!
All you 've got to do is to install "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe"

1.Try to install Dreamweaver for the first time (it stops in initiliazing...)
2.Open your "Doccuments" (from the Desktop)
3.In there you will find a folder named "Downloaded Installations"
4.In the folder ".\Downloaded Installations\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\redist" you will find the "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe"
5.Install it!!!!!("WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe")
6. You have to reboot in order to complete the above installation
7. Now you should install Dreamweaver just fine!

:)

Rachel...@adobeforums.com

May 4, 2007, 3:34:59 PM5/4/07
I have wasted a lot of time today trying to install CS3. I had previously been using the beta version but had uninstalled that several days ago using Add/Remove programs in Windows XP. The problem is exactly the same as described by Ken Morris in message #45 (and my computer set up is virtually identical to his). I don't mind doing simple things like disabling virus protection or copying files to my hard drive if this will solve the problem, but I don't see why I should have to do anything more complicated than this when I have paid so much for the software. I haven't contacted Adobe yet but am wondering whether Ken (or anyone else) has a simple solution (seems unlikely in view of the other postings in this thread)

Lylia_...@adobeforums.com

May 10, 2007, 7:33:53 AM5/10/07
Its very simple Rachel, you should't have to. Unfortunately if you want that program installed on your computer, you'll need to go thru the same song and dance the rest of us have. Its alot easier then it seems.

Don_...@adobeforums.com

May 10, 2007, 10:38:20 PM5/10/07
Just spent a second (one hour) session with Adobe tech support on the "disappearing installer" issue.
Finally got CS3 installed.

I had already done what I could find on the Internet:
A) uninstalled the CS3 Beta AND all other Adobe products.
B) run the Adobe CS3Clean script (all four levels).
C) Manually deleted all references to Adobe in the "Program Files" folders and Registry.
D) etc., etc. <pray to gods>, etc.
Nothing worked. Installer started, then just disappeared.
I am running Windows XP Pro w/SP2.

Leaving aside most of the "try this" suggestions, the tech had me uninstall and reinstall the Windows Loader, and all non-Microsoft services and all Startup programs were disabled (I don't think this is important since it had no effect before the steps below, but it was the situation at the time).

After deactivating and uninstalling the CS3 Beta, if you used it, try the following:

NOTE: Quote marks are to identify text. They are not part of any folder or file discussed here.

Copy the "Adobe CS3" folder from the installation CD to your harddrive.
From the harddrive copy, open the folder "resources\common\scripts".
Right-click on the file "ContainerProxy.js", click "Open With…", and select Notepad.
With the file open in Notepad, click Edit (from the top menu), then "Go To...".
In the "Line Number" box, type 1102, and press Enter. This will take you to line #1102.
Locate the "SetSessionInitialized" variable as follows.
Look on the screen for the line "jsonObj = _jsonToObject(window.external.SetSessionInitialized(initValue));".
Delete "window.external." ->, "jsonObj = _jsonToObject(SetSessionInitialized(initValue));".
Save the file.

John Joslin

May 11, 2007, 4:32:53 AM5/11/07
How easy! I can't think why people are complaining. Photoshop is a complicated program — you can expect it to just install can you?

dave_...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2007, 8:43:21 AM5/11/07
as posted by "gorodek" earlier in this thread:

gorodek, "Cannot install Photoshop CS3 - Installer just dissappeared" #59, 1 May 2007 8:49 am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bc3b755/58>

could he have hit upon "thee" solution? if adobe's instructing people on it now...

I only see that one post from gorodek... who was that masked man? B)

Rachel...@adobeforums.com

May 12, 2007, 11:06:09 AM5/12/07
After wasting many hours on this, I can still only get the 'shared components' to install. I phoned Adobe and was told that I should run the clean up script (which I already knew about). I said that I was slightly nervous about doing this because of the warnings about losing the contents of my hard drive but his reply was "of course you would have to reinstall your operating system, but then you would have to do that if you had a hard drive failure, wouldn't you". I eventually took a deep breath, said a little prayer and ran the clean up script. Even after 'level 2', it has not solved the problem (although the computer otherwise seems OK). One of the most frustrating things about it is having to wait 15-20 minutes each time for confirmation that it hasn't worked. I will try phoning Adobe again, but if they cannot suggest a solution, I will have to explain the situation to Amazon and hope that they will be willing to give a refund (I'm not sure that they will).

Murray...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2007, 12:55:10 AM5/14/07
Don Frack and Gorodeck

Thank you, that's got me up and running.

Rachel

It's always desirable to back up your data because you can't guarantee your system won't crash and then the consequences of not having done so are not worth contemplating. These days external hard drives are quite cheap and you can just plug them into a USB port.

There are two kinds of backup - backing up some or all of the files on your hard drive and mirroring the hard drive. I already had the first kind of backup but the message with the cleanup script made me focus on software to mirror my main hard drive. Mirroring copies just not the files you work on and can see but all software and hidden settings so if your hard drive crashes you can restore the mirror and get everything back.

The software I have settled on is Acronis True Image 10. There are not many that do mirroring and this seems to have the best reputation for reliability. Additionally it is quite cheap ($US50, less on ebay, much less on Amazon if you are in the US), easy to use and fast.

Although you could use the free 14-day trial (as I did, though I will buy it soon) the safest solution would be to purchase the boxed version (not the download). That comes with a bootable recovery CD in case you are locked out of your PC by a crash (not sure of more specific details). Here is a [url=http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2007/utilities/ti10/ti10_1.htm]full review with lots of screen shots.

Regards,
Murray

mamap...@adobeforums.com

May 19, 2007, 1:19:01 PM5/19/07
To GORODEK:

Thanks G!
Your solution ->

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3b755/58>

<- worked a treat on my Vista setup that had no previous Adobe products on it whatsoever...

Very much appreciated as I was seriously running out of hair to pull out!

Why can't Adobe live by that ancient maxim:
"If your installer ain't broke, don't fix it"?
My copy of CS2 came on 5 CDs and installed in half an hour.
After three 45 minute attempts, CS3, which arrived on a single DVD (not a full single layer either...) took 61 minutes! WTF!!!

GORODEK! Thx again, you the mutts nuts!

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

May 19, 2007, 1:48:36 PM5/19/07
5 CD's? I have only one!:-(

Bill_B...@adobeforums.com

May 19, 2007, 7:15:12 PM5/19/07
I appreciate the suggestions that Gorodek and others made above - but it didn't work for me! When I retried to reinstall after making the changes to ContainerProxy.js, the installer started asking for the location of things - I responded okay. I finally got a message that CS3 and Bridge had NOT installed successfully. Now when I try to go through the process again, I'm told that I have to complete the previous installation - and I have no idea how to do that. Add/remove program reports tha CS3 is there but it won't remove it.

Any suggestions that might help me???

Bill

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

May 19, 2007, 7:53:39 PM5/19/07

My copy of CS2 came on 5 CDs and installed in half an hour.

mamapapaxp, you need to seriously rethink where you're buying your software.

Bill_B...@adobeforums.com

May 20, 2007, 11:30:47 AM5/20/07
Okay: I've solved my problem: I cleaned out all the CS3 remnants on my computer, reinstalled CS2, and am going to return CS3 to Adobe for a refund! (I still can't believe Adobe would sell a product that would not install!)

Bill

Hernan...@adobeforums.com

May 22, 2007, 2:11:31 AM5/22/07
I have a same issue here. I'm trying to install Adobe CS3 Design Premium but the installer appear shortly and suddenly disappear. I'm following a suggestion from Philip Timothy Smith (Philip Timothy Smith, "Cannot install Photoshop CS3 - Installer just dissappeared" #28, 26 Apr 2007 11:36 am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bc3b755/27>) and everything is working fine now. Installer is running well.

Choose Start > All Programs > Accessories.
2. Right-click the Command icon, choose Run As Administrator, and authenticate.
3. Navigate to Windows\System32.
4. At the prompt, type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press Enter.
5. When a dialog box with the message "DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded" appears, click OK.

Thanks to Philip Timothy Smith!

Mr._...@adobeforums.com

May 29, 2007, 7:37:17 PM5/29/07
I am having a problem trying to install CS3 extended also. My problem is very similar to this one. When I run the setup to the installation I get this:

<http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8660/cs3errordq4.jpg>

It just stays there and does nothing. I have let it do this over night and through out the day, still nothing happens.

Also, I am running on Windows XP SP2, and all my computer spec meet the minimum requirements to run CS3.

Jay

Jun 3, 2007, 10:02:17 AM6/3/07
:(

Tried everything above that relates to XP Pro... hacking the js file, running the CS3 cleaner (i only get two levels not four as someone mentioned???), installing the Windows installer, setting IE as the default browser, doing the msconfig number (mentioned elsewhere), creating a new user account with admin rights and trying all the above from there simultaneously... Nada. Nothing works... After the Setup window, the splash comes on for a fraction of a second and then... dies :(

Someone, help!!!! :)

Cheers,

JJ

Jay

Jun 4, 2007, 12:20:19 AM6/4/07
Suggestions anyone?

Michael_...@adobeforums.com

Jun 9, 2007, 12:43:59 PM6/9/07
my install error gives me this message
"A problem occurred while extracting some files. Check space on your computer and write privileges on the destination folder." I ask thee..."wtf?!!!" I have service pack 2. windows xp home edition. 2.66 ghz and 768 mb of ram!! My HD has about 25 gigs left! WHAT THE HELL I CAN't INSTALL THE 30 DAY TRIAL!!! I WANT TO SEE DREAMWEAVER CS3's sexiness and ease for myself (I currently have DREAMWEAVER 8. PLEASE HELP PLEEEASE! (I deleted temp folders and everything so don't hand me that garbage >_<)

Daryl_P...@adobeforums.com

Jun 9, 2007, 2:20:58 PM6/9/07
Michael,

While the problem you're seeing may be common to all CS3 products, Dreamweaver installation problems are best discussed in that product forum with users familiar with Dreamweaver specifically.

Regards,

Daryl

Edith_Tüscher@adobeforums.com

Jun 9, 2007, 3:48:21 PM6/9/07
Hello
I have the same problem. Vista ultimate 64bit Creative Suite 2.3 functioned not to installing.

THANKS for YOUR ASSISTANCE

RTMS RTMS

Jun 12, 2007, 11:22:36 PM6/12/07
I've downloaded the 30 day trial, yet I'm having the same problems. I unzip the program after downloading and it unpacks itself. When I click the Setup.exe I get the same Setup pic that Chayuth posted. It flashes and then nothing, no set up, no install etc. I'm using a Vista Home Premium desktop with 400GB HD, 2GB RAM, and a 5000+ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor.

Jorda...@adobeforums.com

Jun 18, 2007, 3:01:54 PM6/18/07
Piping in with the same issue. You'd imagine that Adobe would look into threads that approach 100 comments.
It is loading more messages.