One little thing about iCab

Lundb...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 4:30:51 PM3/30/09
Unlike Safari, if you move a file that is being downloaded to a folder from the desktop, you get a warning that the file is in use. If you click continue, the download manager will show that download completes.
The file itself will not open, an error message says the file is in use. The icon for the file is a generic download icon. I'm not sure I'm going to email Field Marshal Clauss about this, I might end up in Auschwitz.
Safari doesn't care what you do.
I'm trying OmniWeb, but it's not fast.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 11:35:26 PM3/30/09
Lundberg02,

if you move a file that is being downloaded to a folder from the desktop…

…you deserve whatever happens to you. :D

Why on Earth would you do that?

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 11:38:05 PM3/30/09
I have a designated Downloads folder in the root level. I never download anything to my desktop nor ever put anything on my desktop.

Lundb...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 4:23:31 AM3/31/09
Why not? Safari handles it perfectly.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 4:52:14 AM3/31/09
But WHY would you want to do that? I'll take your word for it that Safari can handle that悠'm not about to test it. But I just don't see a reason to do it while you're downloading. Before the download you can designate what folder you want to keep it. After it's finished downloading, sure.

But what possible sane reason would anyone have to move a download while it's downloading to the desktop?

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 6:10:39 AM3/31/09
Lundberg,

I use both Safari and Firefox. I keep my Downloads folder on a secondary drive with an alias on the Desktop (it makes it a lot easier to find a download afterwards) and that workflow works fine for me.

But I would never move, click on, or rename a file while it is being downloaded as that would risk corruption.

Neil

Buko

Mar 31, 2009, 10:36:13 AM3/31/09
I'm really surprised anything works on lundy's computer after hearing about his shenanigans.

Doug...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 11:13:36 AM3/31/09
I think his shenanigans are fabulous. I love reading about them.

Ozzw...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 11:33:29 AM3/31/09
Maybe I'm lost here...I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with Photoshop (?)

:) What no one else has said it yet...surprisingly.

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 11:42:59 AM3/31/09
Oz, we've given up on noting this. Most any thread started by Lundy in the past few months has been off topic. It is always about his browser. It is a miracle that he can post in this forum with all the browser trouble.

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 12:32:03 PM3/31/09
Ozzwoman,

Lundberg's problem here has little to do with Photoshop -- but he's participated in this forum for a long time, has shared some great stories -- and we do try to help him with his computer issues.

Neil

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:35:58 PM3/31/09

he's participated in this forum for a long time

Lundy was among the earliest arrivals in these Forums when we all made a mass exit from the AOL SIG to the "better party down the street" shortly after John Cornicello got the Adobe Forums up and running.

:)

Lundb...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 4:50:55 PM3/31/09
I've been around so long I actually understand Gernot Hoffman.

I expect a computer to be a tool and t do what I want it to do, not what it wants to do, which is why I don't use Windows. Icons and folders are just pointers and should have nothing to do with the data itself.

I enjoyed the old SIG despite its flaws. A more close knit group and collegial.
Many of the big names contributed. I remember a long chat with Margulis, and Schewe also.