2009 Macs and Peripherals :: General Discussion :: Chapter III

Buko

Jan 30, 2009, 11:41:13 PM1/30/09
for Macs, the systems, and all the stuff that connects to them.

Buko

Jan 30, 2009, 11:41:18 PM1/30/09
could this become sticky?

you can delete this post.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 12:54:59 PM1/31/09
I have just taken delivery of an Epson R1900 Photo printer (Staples had a "Deal" on them that was simply too good to be missed). It is probably because there is a new model in the pipeline, but, for for the little that I paid, who cares!

It needs to be stated that the R1900 is for printing Photographs and you will probably need another printer in addition to it for output from Vector programs such as Illustrator. (I still have my trusty Epson 1270 for that.)

I am printing 16-bit ProPhoto RGB images through Photoshop CS4 (with Photoshop managing colors using the down-loadable Epson Premium profiles) and the smoothness of tones, lack of banding and incredible image detail in the results are outstanding.

Unfortunately it is only CS4 on a Mac that lets you print at 16 bits — that technology is not available to Windows-users at this time — but if you have CS4 on a Mac and a printer like the R1900, do try printing ProPhoto RGB with 16-bits.

Lar...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 3:12:45 PM1/31/09
Ann - How is the color and brightness matching?

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 4:02:16 PM1/31/09
It's spot-on … from the first print!

I have my monitor (which is a wide-spectrum NEC 2690) calibrated for 130 cd/m2 and the output from the printer is a dead-ringer with the rendering in Photoshop's soft proofing using the Premium paper profiles.

L...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 5:45:43 PM1/31/09
I lost this thread again. Guess there must have been more problems and it had to be closed again. Thanks Buko for starting it back up.

I have a new question concerning Apple TV. When ever we are using my husband's MacBook Pro, if we use the remote on the Apple TV, whatever happens on the TV takes over what happens on the laptop. I've been over and over the settings but I can't get it to stop.

Does anyone know what is going on and what to do to stop it?

Lundb...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 6:33:39 PM1/31/09
That is the new Apple product called the iSchizo.

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 6:44:02 PM1/31/09
If you only have one remote (ATV only), disable the IR function in the MacBook Pro's Security preference pane.

If you have two remotes (one for ATV and one for the laptop), you need to pair each one for the specific use.

<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8993.html>

L...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 7:06:32 PM1/31/09
Phil, You are the best! Disabling IR was the secret. Thank you for saving my sanity.

L...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 11:30:18 PM1/31/09
New challenge. I think Time Capsule is broken.

I set up Time Capsule for the first time today. It began backing up everything on the laptop. I left the laptop for a while and when I came back it had gone to sleep. I then wasn't sure if the backup was frozen or still working so I cancelled it. It wouldn't cancel so I force quit. I then decided to erase the disk because I didn't want all the user files included in the back up. I made the mistake of writing to zeros. At this point it took forever and again I force quit. I thought it had frozen. Now the Time Capsule disk will not show up on at all when I attempt to set it up. There is an orange light blinking.

I'm at the Apple Website trying to find answers. I thought I'd post just in case it helps speed up the answer. In the meantime I'm still researching.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 11:46:02 PM1/31/09
Linda:

Hopefully someone knows the answer — I am just sorry that I don't know anything about TimeCapsule.

Did it come with a CD and its own software? Can you re-install that if it exists?

L...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 11:58:35 PM1/31/09
Hi Ann,

I've just sent an email off to my Apple sales person asking him what to do. I have a feeling it's damaged.

It did come with a CD and it's own software. I'll give it a try tomorrow but I'm pretty sure the hardware has developed a problem.

Thanks so much for your concern and willingness to help. I'll keep you posted.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 12:00:01 AM2/1/09
See if this helps:
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8646605&#8646605>

There are more threads on the subject in that Discussion area if you do a search under "orange light".

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 9:52:11 AM2/1/09
Thank you Ann. I'm working on it now.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 11:12:22 AM2/1/09
Another challenge added to the mix. The previous password I used for Airport no longer seems to work.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 11:24:35 AM2/1/09
I would start again from the beginning (possibly with a new user's account) and re-install the software from scratch from the original CDs for both Airport and for Time Machine.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 11:43:13 AM2/1/09

I would start again from the beginning (possibly with a new user's account)
and re-install the software from scratch from the original CDs for both
Airport and for Time Machine.

I had installed the software from the disk that came with Time Capsule which seemed to include Airport Utilities. I'll create a new user folder and start over.

A little progress on Time Capsule - I hooked it up to my G5 using an Ethernet cable. I then used the reset button as suggested in the Apple link Ann provided. I was able to connect to the disk and erase it again.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 11:48:08 AM2/1/09
Looking happier?

:)

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 12:03:39 PM2/1/09

Looking happier?

Yes on this one. Thanks Ann.

Looks like this thread will be popping again. Lot's going on here.

Ann was the first to hear the news that my husband's MBP is now mine. After working with it since Christmas he also had lots of problems (must run in the family). I was helping him, and thought it must have been because he's been away from the Mac for so long. He finally got fed up and told me he would rather I take it and he will get a PC that will work better with his business related network.

I know this sounds like a good thing for me, and I'm sure I will feel that way eventually... but honestly I didn't need a laptop. My older G4 Powerbook is really solid and everything I need for a laptop. If I were putting the money into something for myself I would have bought an iMac.

That said, I plan to make good use of the newly acquired MBP, and at least attempt to do with it what I planned to do with an iMac. Use it as a backup computer for client jobs while I do a complete wipe and reinstall on my G5. Also will attempt to use the MBP with the TV for showing client photos.

Now, here's the thing. After using my husband's MBP for one day I see that it really does have issues. It often won't log out and in, and it often won't restart without turning it off and on. Other glitches as well, but could be user related.

So... I am wiping the MBP clean and reinstalling all software first thing. This is something i would prefer to do anyway, and usually do when I buy a new computer.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 12:45:53 PM2/1/09
Just reset the password on Time Capsule. It was working. I then shut down and rebooted. Now the password is not working on that either. I wonder what is going on with these passwords. Is it possible that someone is hacking my wireless network?

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 1:44:39 PM2/1/09
Partition Question for those who might know: Should I partition the MBP for Photoshop Cache? or any other reason? If so, what would be ideal?

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 2:28:39 PM2/1/09
No, don't partition it.

Attach a separate external FWD for Photoshop's Scratch.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 2:52:58 PM2/1/09
Ann,

I can use an external FWD when I'm at my desk, but not when I take the laptop elsewhere. Is there any advantage to having a little scratch space set aside on the same drive?

I also read somewhere that some users partition their drive for Time Capsule files. This sounds like a possible way to speed up backups.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 3:41:33 PM2/1/09
I'm going to experiment on partitioning the MBP. 150GB Main - OS & Apps; 50 GB Scratch; 100 GB Files

Most files will be stored on and edited from the external 1TB RAID drive.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 4:45:54 PM2/1/09
A partition for Photoshop scratch on your boot drive doesn't help at all and will actually just slow you down because each drive has only one set of heads and they can't read/write to two different partitions at the same time.

Also that Drive is pretty small and I don't think you would want to fill it with Time Capsule files.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 6:30:23 PM2/1/09

A partition for Photoshop scratch on your boot drive doesn't help at all
and will actually just slow you down because each drive has only one set
of heads and they can't read/write to two different partitions at the
same time.

Oh well. Maybe I should repartition then.

Also that Drive is pretty small and I don't think you would want to fill
it with Time Capsule files.

Maybe I should clarify - This is the partition I would store files which would be backed up to the Time Capsule. I read that others do this to keep backup files separate from system and application files.

I cannot figure out why Airport works on my old laptop with the same password I've had since I bought it, but on the new setup it rejects my password. This one problem has taken up a good part of my day today and yesterday trying to resolve it. Even after reinstalling the OS on the new MBP Airport rejects my password.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 6:35:05 PM2/1/09
Not sure why, but Airport just started working with the password. Maybe it just took me griping about it in Post #24 to get it to cooperate.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 6:43:27 PM2/1/09
Now the airport password is not working again. I am totally perplexed.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 7:07:55 PM2/1/09
I have never used Airport, but can you not go in to its Prefs as an Admin.; enter your existing password and then change it?

Or does it need separate passwords from each separate computer User?

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 7:50:08 PM2/1/09

This is the partition I would store files which would be backed up to
the Time Capsule. I read that others do this to keep backup files separate
from system and application files.>

I don't see the point in doing that because if the drive does go bad, you won't be able to get to EITHER partition anyway!

If you want to Back-up, burn the files to a DVD or to a small portable external HD.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 7:55:08 PM2/1/09
I must not be communicating very well. The files that are created on the laptop get backed up to the new 1TB Time Capsule drive.

I've removed the one partition but created another 30GB partition just in case I need to run Windows in the future.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 7:59:38 PM2/1/09
Sure.

But they could be in a separate Folder couldn't they — they don't need to be on a separate partition?

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 8:03:37 PM2/1/09

But they could be in a separate Folder couldn't they — they don't need
to be on a separate partition?

If you want to run Windows, from what I understand you have to have a separate partition.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 1, 2009, 8:13:38 PM2/1/09
I didn't know that you were trying to run Windows from the same machine?

That is a very small HD to share between two separate operating Systems — plus separate Applications — and run Photoshop on it as well.

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 2:02:58 AM2/2/09
Linda-

Just listen to the original advice not to partition.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 8:54:47 AM2/2/09
So much for testing websites with Windows then. This laptop will probably not serve my purposes. I may try to sell it, unless Apple will allow me to turn it in for something else, which I doubt. I'm disappointed that my husband couldn't use it but I don't fault him for it. It's just one of those things.

Is it true that CS3 will not run well on Leopard?

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 9:01:10 AM2/2/09

Is it true that CS3 will not run well on Leopard?

If you are serious about such a software question that has been discussed ad nauseam you should probably start another thread rather than adding it here on this hardware thread.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 9:09:45 AM2/2/09

If you are serious about such a software question that has been discussed
ad nauseam you should probably start another thread rather than adding
it here on this hardware thread.

Never mind. Point taken. This is what I've heard so I'll just go on my own research. Sorry for my endless questions and messing up this thread.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 9:48:20 AM2/2/09
Linda:

If you want to test Web sites from a Windows machine in the way that the average viewer, with a non-color managed browser on a non-calibrated screen, might see them; all that you need is the cheapest box from Costco!

Regarding CS3 on Leopard: Snow Leopard is due within the next few weeks; and you have CS4 anyway.

:)

Ci...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 11:14:00 AM2/2/09

If you want to test Web sites from a Windows machine in the way that the
average viewer, with a non-color managed browser on a non-calibrated screen,
might see them; all that you need is the cheapest box from Costco!

I won't even buy the cheap ones from Costco. My customers give me their old PC's if I need one.... My kind of price for a PC. All you need is the basic machine with IE installed to view websites.

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 11:31:06 AM2/2/09

Snow Leopard is due within the next few weeks;

You know this how? I suppose you might be basing it on the infamous "OSX release schedule slide" that inadvertently listed SL's release in Q1 2009, but there's been nothing official from Apple. It could be 6 months before it's released --- or tomorrow. ;)

Linda-
Running Windows on the Macbook Pro is perfectly doable. There's no need to manually partition the drive before hand "in case" you want to install Windows. The Boot Camp software allows you to partition the drive at any time (on-the-fly) without harm to your Mac data. Prior backup recommended of course, but it works very well.

<http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html>

If the laptop was your only machine, I'd agree with Ann that a cheap PC would be the way to go, as you'd have to constantly reboot back and forth between the Mac and Windows installs, but that's not the case. Again, this is perfectly doable.

The 320GB drive is actually quite spacious for a laptop drive - the largest available being 500GB. As long as you're not go to use it as your main machine and load every possible software available or store huge files, I think you have plenty of room. You could easily get by with 15 - 20GB partition for a simple install of Windows XP.

-phil

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 12:50:46 PM2/2/09

but there's been nothing official from Apple.

Of course there hasn't: Apple never makes an announcement before software is ready to ship but there has been plenty of discussion of "Q1 2009" and we are only weeks away from the end of March.

Anyway, some of us are lucky enough to be running Tiger 10.4.11 so are not waiting with bated breath for the birth of the next Apple kitten.

:)

-----
Linda:

If CS4 is running slowly on your G5 on OSX 10.4.11; go to your Preferences/Caches/Adobe Photoshop CS4 … and trash the entire contents of that folder.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 1:11:28 PM2/2/09

Regarding CS3 on Leopard: Snow Leopard is due within the next few weeks;

and you have CS4 anyway.

Ann, I hope you're right. I discovered that some of the OS problems went away when I reinstalled Leopard without all the updates. Hopefully Snow Leopard will be better.

[...]

Thank you Phil. This helps.

I contacted my Apple store to see if there would be a chance I could return the MBP for the new 17" model with antiglare screen. This would be much more practical for my uses. Answer was no of course. I knew that would be the case but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 1:12:08 PM2/2/09
Missed your post Ann...

If CS4 is running slowly on your G5 on OSX 10.4.11; go to your Preferences/Caches/Adobe
Photoshop CS4 … and trash the entire contents of that folder.

Thank you. I'll try it.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 4:15:11 PM2/2/09
From various sources, I hear that Snow Leopard is Mac-Intel only. If this is true, I'd expect to see the prices of second-hand G5s drop soon after Snow Leopard is released.

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 7:03:02 PM2/2/09
G5 costs deserve to be low. The only folks for whom they are appropriate new purchases are those intending to keep running legacy apps or essential legacy hardware and that also suffice with legacy cards. A limited number (non-zero) of users satisfy that combined description.

All new users, all users of only modern apps and all users with strong performance needs are much better off with some flavor of MacIntel.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 7:41:33 PM2/2/09
Except … that my CS4 Suite works brilliantly and flawlessly (including using OpenGL) in OSX 10.4.11 on my G5 with it's new flashed-for-Mac video card, a new NEC 2690 monitor and a new two-days-old Epson Printer.

… which is not what a lot of MacIntel/OSX 10.5.6 or Windows Users seem to be saying on these Forums.

8/

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 7:55:56 PM2/2/09
Ann,

Occasionally, as an exercise in keeping my brain active, I run Photoshop 7.0.1 in native Mac OS 9.2. I'm always amazed at what it can do in cases where I have no need of ACR. Also, it runs extremely fast on my machine running native OS 9.2, noticeably faster than the same application on the same machine under any version of OS X.

Lundb...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 8:07:02 PM2/2/09
Ann, have you tried looking at side by sides of the same RAW of ProPhoto, a98, and sRGB with perceptual and relative, and 2.2 and 1.8 on your WG monitor?
And what do you see? How do they print?

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 8:43:24 PM2/2/09
I am running the NEC 1290 monitor at 130 cd/m2; D65; Gamma 2.2.

I am processing my digital camera RAW files (and my scanned Tiffs!) through Bridge-hosted ACR 5.2 with ProPhoto RGB settings.

I open the 16-bit ProPhoto RGB files directly into Photoshop CS4 and print to my new Epson R1900 using Epson's special "Premium ICC Profiles (which are downloadable from their site) normally using Relative Colorimetric.

The resulting prints are a perfect match to the Soft Proof View in Photoshop.

For more about this amazing little printer, you might be interested in this thread:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7adfd/>

Staples had an incredible special deal on the R1900s last week and I was lucky enough to snag one. They are now out of stock there but I understand that B&H have a similar deal; and Epson themselves are offering a $150 rebate.

Adobe RGB and sRGB JPEGs also preview perfectly on this monitor and, provided that I embed sRGB Profiles in my sRGB JPEGs (which I always do now) they look fine in both Safari and Firefox.

Other peoples web sites, with non-profile-embedded photographs, are a different matter!

Lundb...@adobeforums.com

Feb 2, 2009, 11:47:30 PM2/2/09
Well, I actually meant how do those various color spaces and renderings look side by side on your wide gamut monitor. Is there a very noticeable difference?

Buko

Feb 3, 2009, 12:05:59 AM2/3/09

I am running the NEC 1290 monitor at 130 cd/m2; D65; Gamma 2.2.

that seems awful bright. I'm using 85 cd/m2 on an ACD HD 23", I'm also working in subdued light or in mostly darkness.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 12:19:53 AM2/3/09
Buko:

All that I can tell you is that the prints coming out of the R1900 MATCH the screen but i am working in a very well lit area both by day and at night so that could be the difference.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 1:04:24 AM2/3/09
Ann,

but i am working in a very well lit area both by day and at night so that
could be the difference.

Yes that would make a huge difference. I prefer to work in very subdued, pure-white indirect lighting in order to minimize reflections and color casts on the screen. I have arranged it so the lighting is constant 24 hours a day. My target is 95 cd/m2, and the prints, viewed under Solux lights by the printer and 180º away from the monitor, are right on target.

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 1:13:20 AM2/3/09

...Except … that my CS4 Suite works brilliantly and flawlessly (including

using OpenGL) in OSX 10.4.11 on my G5

Yeah you have a legacy system, not a new purchase but fine for you as an existing setup. Note that your brilliantly and flawlessly is far, far poorer performance than MacIntel - - for years now; not what I personally call brilliantly. Adequate for folks who already own legacy setups but no way for new purchasers to go.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 1:03:01 PM2/3/09
Re: Room Lighting.

The brighter LCD monitors really have changed things: you no longer need to work in a cave to get perfectly matching color, brightness and contrast between Screen and Print.

I work in a normal room (with a big window and bright light bulbs) so that I can use the computer and read a book or document at my desk.

In that situation, setting the NEC 2690 to 130 cd/m2 is perfect; however this monitor does have a built-in ambient light sensor which takes care of changing daylight conditions.
-------

Note that your brilliantly and flawlessly is far, far poorer performance
than MacIntel - - for years now;

EXCEPT that I ran CS3, and and am running CS4 with Open GL, without any of the nightmares which the users of Leopard have had to endure!

:-O

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 2:06:30 PM2/3/09

EXCEPT that I ran CS3, and and am running CS4 with Open GL, without any
of the nightmares which the users of Leopard have had to endure!

You really need to stop regurgitating this FUD. Personally, I had NO issues with PSCS3 / Leopard after the 10.5.2 update and the (mostly minor) graphical glitches associated with CS4 have NOT been isolated to Leopard users.

As I've stated before, my Mac Pro is fully capable of running Tiger and yet, I STILL choose to run 10.5.

The only nightmare that Leopard users have had to endure are the multitudes of ignorant, uninformed posts from non-Leopard users about how bad it is.

My Macintel / Leopard system runs absolute circles around your relic! Revel in your antiquated-ness! :-D

-phil

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 2:13:29 PM2/3/09
Phil:

You obviously have had a VERY different experience from most of the other users of Leopard — but then you don't use InDesign or other components of the Creative Suites in addition to Photoshop do you?

the (mostly minor) graphical glitches associated with CS4 have NOT been
isolated to Leopard users.

Which "Glitches" would those be? Printing?

[I have NO printing problems printing from CS4.]

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 2:37:22 PM2/3/09
I am trying to decide whether to run the 10.5.6 update on the MBP. It was troublesome before I erased and reinstalled everything, but then I had also installed the Quicktime update the first time.

I see there are problems listed at Macfixit.com but there seems to be a workaround on the Installation issues by downloading the Combo and booting in Safe Mode...

Workaround Link at Macfixit.com <http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2008121622093232>

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 2:49:01 PM2/3/09
Does anyone here subscribe to MacFixit Pro/Version Tracker Pro Bundle <http://www.macfixit.com/subscribe/>? It's $59.95 a year and I'm wondering if it might be worth it.

Maybe that will relieve some frustration as well as keep me quiet on my endless Troubleshooting issues.

I know, I know... Allen will want me to start another thread... and I say Hogwash! :-) My original thread which this one eventually replaced included more than just hardware.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 2:52:38 PM2/3/09
Always use the Combo updaters!

The people who have the most trouble with upgrades usually are the ones who used "Software Update".

From all accounts, you should definitely upgrade to 10.5.6; but many of the Quicktime security updates over the past year have been very problematical and I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to install them.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 2:55:46 PM2/3/09

Always use the Combo updaters!

I remember you saying this in the past, and I did it for a while, but then I guess I got lazy.

From all accounts, you should definitely upgrade to 10.5.6; but many of
the Quicktime security updates over the past year have been very problematical
and I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to install them.

I'll give it a try. If it's a problem I've only just reinstalled the system so I can always go back and do it again. Thanks Ann!

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 4:15:22 PM2/3/09

Phil:

You obviously have had a VERY different experience from most of the other
users of Leopard — but then you don't use InDesign or other components
of the Creative Suites in addition to Photoshop do you?

Phil has the same experience that a lot of us have. Yes, we use the full suite. Leopard and Intel are not to be as feared as Ann's advice.

I am confused how Ann speaks on any authority on Leopard or Intel when she apparently has no experience with either. Her experience is limited to reading a support forum where only problems are reported. She cannot see the many users that are successfully using Leopard. She cannot see the many users that use Software Update successfully. She cannot see the many users that successfully keep Quicktime updated and secure. She just cannot see. And her response to those that can see is always an insult or some form of belittling about our experience - - as if we do not use the hardware/software that is working fine in front of us.

FUD? The only thing we have to fear is Ann herself. :)

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 4:18:54 PM2/3/09
Trying to wreck this thread yet again are you?

You just don't give up do you?

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 4:23:48 PM2/3/09
Ann, if you cannot accept the fact that Leopard works for others then the 'wreck' to this thread appears to be you. You are alone and have no business telling others how Leopard works (or does not work) when you don't even use it yourself. Try gaining some experience before telling others what they should believe.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 4:35:52 PM2/3/09
Get lost.

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 4:56:23 PM2/3/09

You obviously have had a VERY different experience from most of the other
users of Leopard

And you know this how?

but then you don't use InDesign or other components of the Creative Suites
in addition to Photoshop do you?

Not true. I don't use InDesign day-in and day-out, but I do find the occasions to use it. I don't rely on it by any means.

Yes, I'm aware there's supposed to be Leopard compatibility issues with ID, but given how FAR out of proportion these "Leopard/Photoshop issues" are bandied about, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the ID issues were bogus as well.

Note I didn't say they were bogus - I said I wouldn't be surprised if they were. I don't comment on Leopard / ID issues because I don't have enough first hand experience with InDesign in Leopard. How about you?

Which "Glitches" would those be? Printing?

No. As I said "graphical glitches". Graphical .... as in the UI.

[I have NO printing problems printing from CS4.]

I have NO printing problems printing from CS4 either. None, nada, zero, zip. (with a 7-year-old Epson 2200, no less)

Yeah, I know .... you "heard" Leopard users have printing problems with PSCS4 ...

-phil

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 5:04:10 PM2/3/09

I know .... you "heard" Leopard users have printing problems with PSCS4

It was mentioned yet again last night in a discussion in the Photography Forum.

I can print Vector files from Illustrator CS4 to a particular printer from my G5 running on 10.4.11; but another user, with a MacIntel running 10.5.6 and the SAME printer, cannot.

It appears to be another Leopard/MacIntel/Epson Drivers issue.

Buko

Feb 3, 2009, 5:06:53 PM2/3/09
Phil I do all my printing from ID to my 2200. Yes I can print from Leopard but I don't have the options available that I do in Tiger. Leopard is pretty cool I just don't want it on my work machine right now.

IDCS3 didn't play all that nice with Leopard IDCS4 seemed to work just fine. I must admit I have some Classic apps I still use from time to time, so that and the 2200 hundred are the 2 things that are keeping me in Tiger on the work machine. I just might reinstall Leopard on the spare drive again so I can play more when I find the time.

I use Leopard on my Laptop.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 3, 2009, 6:26:00 PM2/3/09
…and Epson will not update the drivers for the Epson 2200 (and many other models) to work properly with Leopard, ever. :/

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Feb 4, 2009, 6:48:49 PM2/4/09

Phil I do all my printing from ID to my 2200. Yes I can print from Leopard
but I don't have the options available that I do in Tiger.

What options are missing Buko? I don't print out of ID of course, but still curious.

Ci...@adobeforums.com

Feb 4, 2009, 7:08:46 PM2/4/09

…and Epson will not update the drivers for the Epson 2200 (and many other
models) to work properly with Leopard, ever.

Epson got on my poo list a long time ago for that reason. Poor support.

Buko

Feb 4, 2009, 8:01:50 PM2/4/09
print settings

color management

ink configuration

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 4, 2009, 8:50:48 PM2/4/09
Cindy and Buko:

Check for printer drivers on Epson's UK site because they often seem to have newer versions than those listed at Epson USA for some reason.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 4, 2009, 8:56:53 PM2/4/09
Ann,

The problem for us (Cindy, Buko and me) is that the Epson 2200 was released in the UK and the EU as the Epson 2100. Alas, the UK driver for the 2100 does not recognize the 2200 printer and vice versa. :(

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 4, 2009, 9:08:08 PM2/4/09
I wonder if a clever code-hacker could get into that 2100 Driver and change all references to "2100" to "2200"?

Just an idea … .

8/

Buko

Feb 4, 2009, 10:33:07 PM2/4/09
they(UK site) say the same thing as the US site the software is built into Leopard.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 9:22:32 AM2/5/09
I'm getting ready to redo my G5. I backed up my client jobs to an external 1T RAID drive for now. I thought about wiping the current internal drive clean and then reinstalling. But then I remembered that the G5 is going on three years old. So why would I go to this much trouble reformatting an older drive when the newer bigger drives are so cheap.

So my thinking is to order a new internal TB drive and just remove the current drive to keep with all files as they are, order an external casing for it, and pull client jobs onto the new drive as needed.

After a little research on internal drives it appears that some users might be having trouble with the newer Seagate being recognized by the G5. My next choice would be Hitachi. I am looking at this one from Other World Computing. <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A38016/> I don't see any specs regarding compatibility issues with the G5 one way or the other, so I thought I'd run it by this forum to see if any of you see any reason why it would not be a good choice.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 10:23:22 AM2/5/09
I may be okay on previous question. I think I found the area where I can determine compatibility for the Seagate with G5 Quad. I've also sent an email inquiry to make sure.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 11:02:05 AM2/5/09
Have you all seen the price of Memory? It's amazing!

I'm about ready to replace mine in the G5 Quad 2.5 with some of THESE. <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/42DDR2PAIR4G/>

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 12:11:52 PM2/5/09
Linda:
I don't know which Seagate HD you are considering, but I have a Seagate 1TB Model: ST31000340AS/ Revision: SD15 installed in my G5 and it has been fine.

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 12:17:32 PM2/5/09
Linda,

trouble with the newer Seagate being recognized by the G5

Seagate told me about some Barracuda 7200.11 drives failing to be consistently recognized (data remains intact) and requiring a firmware update (Windows machine required for this). See: <http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931&Hilite=> Their newest generation 7200.12 drives, I've been assured, have no such problem.

Also, their drives come Windows formated (NTFS, a read-only format with a Mac). You must use Disk Utility to reformat the drive for the Mac (a good idea for almost any hard drive or USB flash memory to be used only on the Mac). This, of course, would mean booting off the Mac System disc if you are creating the only startup drive.

Neil

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 12:23:54 PM2/5/09
Linda,

I'm currently looking into a Barracuda 7200.12 1TB, model ST31000523AS. With the jumper in place, it is set up for SATA 1.5; remove the jumper for SATA 3.0. The problem is that it is a new model and I could not find it on line when I checked last.

Neil

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 12:36:40 PM2/5/09
The easiest way to reformat the new HD for Mac is to install it in the machine in the place of one of your other drives (not the Boot Drive) and format the new drive through Disk utility.

Then do an Archive & Install of OSX from the original CD and upgrade from the Combo and make it your Boot Drive in System preferences.

After doing that, you can swap your new HD for your old boot drive and install your applications from their original CDs.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 12:53:40 PM2/5/09
Hi Neil and Ann,

Thank you for your feedback. I ended up ordering the Hitachi 1TB 7K1000 for $129 from OWC. I also ordered 2-4GB Memory Modules to replace the two 512 and two of the 1GB modules for $54.99 a pair at OWC.

The prices are amazing, too good to pass up on these items.

Thank you for this advice Ann. Sounds like a good way to do this.

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 1:01:24 PM2/5/09
Linda,

The prices you paid are pretty good. Keep us posted. Let us know how quiet that Hitachi drive is.

Neil

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 1:07:59 PM2/5/09
Will do Neil. Thanks!

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 2:59:29 PM2/5/09
Linda:

One other thought:

Deactivate ALL of your Creative Suites before removing your old HD from the computer because Activation seems to be tied to the HD as well as to the Computer SN.

Then reactivate when you have installed the replacement Applications on your new HD.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 5, 2009, 3:25:26 PM2/5/09
Thank you Ann. I added your tip to my notes so I can keep track.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 8, 2009, 3:19:54 PM2/8/09
Monitor Question:

Is there any way I can hook up one of my Apple Monitors to the MacBook Pro?

I ordered a cable that was supposed to work with the TV but it doesn't fit the laptop. It is an MDVI-M-HDMI-F Cable.

After looking things over I'm not even sure there is a port for one of my monitors.

Any thoughts?

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Feb 8, 2009, 6:08:21 PM2/8/09

Is there any way I can hook up one of my Apple Monitors to the MacBook
Pro?

Yes, it is made for that.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 8, 2009, 9:52:51 PM2/8/09
From what I can see it only works with the new 24" Display.

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Feb 9, 2009, 5:22:01 AM2/9/09

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 9, 2009, 9:43:17 AM2/9/09
Thank you Phil. I'll pick one up today.

I had tried to find it before but was unsuccessful. I made a mistake ordering the wrong cable last week so I posted here before making another one.

I do apologize for asking so many questions as i sense it might get tiresome. I just seem to have a propensity for getting it wrong.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 12, 2009, 10:10:48 AM2/12/09
I installed two new 1TB Hard Drives this week, and reinstalled all software fresh. I was hoping this would resolve some of the ongoing problems I've been having with email and other misc. bugs. But I was overly optimistic and some of the problems seem to have followed me to my new setup, only now a little more difficult.

So if I may imposed on you all once again…

Mail Question:

Does anyone else have ongoing on again/off again problems with Mail?

It seems I get some mail and then don't get it for a while. It's intermittent. I researched this and found this advice at (I think was) the Apple Website:

I think for your issue on the one Mac, the next best thing to do is quit
Mail, and in the Finder open Home/Library/Mail and locate the file named
b MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded3 and delete it. It may have become corrupt.
Now relaunch Mail, and it should download all messages that currently
reside on the POP server, including any previously downloaded.

I did this and it worked to a point, although to my dismay I was overwhelmed with all past emails that are still on my server. After sorting through them all I thought I was set. But now it seems to have happened all over again. There must be some sort of corruption going on with Apple Mail and the new install.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 12, 2009, 10:13:40 AM2/12/09
Actually I probably should find my login information and post at the Apple Website. I'll leave my post above just in case someone can help.

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 12, 2009, 10:53:50 AM2/12/09
Linda,

to my dismay I was overwhelmed with all past emails that are still on
my server.

Is this possibly a server or server interface issue? Did you check your settings?

Neil

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 12, 2009, 11:08:06 AM2/12/09

Is this possibly a server or server interface issue? Did you check your
settings?

Neil, I assume you mean my settings at iPower. I'll check them, but I don't think it's related since I now can get email on my previous setup when I boot from the old drive. Also I get email on my laptop.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 12, 2009, 11:16:35 AM2/12/09
Update: Email now has quit coming through on my laptop. It's always this way. On again, off again.

This is just one of the reasons my husband got disgusted with the MacBook Pro and gave it to me. He doesn't have these problems on his PC.

L...@adobeforums.com

Feb 12, 2009, 11:19:44 AM2/12/09
On my Laptop I get the message: The server error encountered was: The connection to the server... on port 110 timed out.
It is loading more messages.