CS4 layer masks driving me nuts!

rkny

Feb 27, 2009, 1:35:55 PM2/27/09
I use a lot of adjustment layers and color fills. Previously, for as long as I can remember, upon creating a new adjustment layer or color fill, I could begin painting on the mask immediately after creating it. Furthermore, upon clicking on any layer with a mask, the mask would automatically become the "active" area.

Now with CS4, I find I have to click directly on a layer mask in order to paint on it EVERY time I create a masked layer or click on a different layer and click again on the masked layer.

Is there any way to tell Photoshop to automatically select a layer mask when working on a masked layer like it used to do? I'm clicking like 100x more than I used to.

Thanks.

rkny

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Feb 27, 2009, 4:20:15 PM2/27/09
No, the fact that it was targetting the layer mask by default was a bug that caused a lot of other nasty problems. It really should target the contents of the layer by default.

Mark_R...@adobeforums.com

Feb 27, 2009, 6:41:37 PM2/27/09
Yes that's an improvement.

rkny

Mar 2, 2009, 6:04:43 PM3/2/09
Well much of my masking is done on adjustments layers, so there is no "content". Wish there was a pref to automatically select the mask. I'm getting carpal tunnel.

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Mar 2, 2009, 6:44:14 PM3/2/09
There is a content to adjustment layers: the result of the adjustment. There just isn't content you can paint on.

Mark_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 12:30:58 PM3/3/09
Well described Chris. There used to be a shortcut for selecting the mask which I think was command \ - but for some in CS4 this doesn't seem to work anymore.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 1:45:24 PM3/3/09
Cmd back-slash does work still in CS4 to select the mask … or it does for me under OSX 10.4.11 anyway.

Check System Pand photoshop shortcuts to see if you have a conflict.