CS 4 Tabbed view and moving layers b/w documents

A._Tz.@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 4:31:20 AM2/26/09
I want to know if it's possible to select a layer from the layer palette start dragging it and move it to another open document while in tabbed view. It is possible when each document is in a separate window.

I am on OS X 10.4.11 with CS 4 11.0.1

Thanks.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 4:51:21 AM2/26/09
Did you actually give it a try?

A._Tz.@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 4:57:39 AM2/26/09
Of course I did. It drives me nuts every day.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 5:06:52 AM2/26/09
Did you move the layer (with the Move Tool) on top of the tab of the target document?

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 5:14:19 AM2/26/09
EDITED the previous message:

In any event: You can temporarily drag any of the tabs to tear it off and have a floating window. You can then drag the layer from another file, then Consolidate All to Tabs (Window > Arrange >) the window back to the tabbed arrangement.

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 5:54:11 AM2/26/09

I want to know if it's possible to select a layer from the layer palette
start dragging it and move it to another open document while in tabbed
view.

Yes, it's possible ... in a slow, sticky kind of way. You have to drag the layer and hold over the targeted tab for a few seconds - that document will eventually come into view and allow the drop.

It's a bit frustrating but it's certainly more efficient and faster than tearing off tabs and re-docking.

-phil

Ping Zheng

Feb 26, 2009, 6:17:55 AM2/26/09

Yes, it's possible ... in a slow, sticky kind of way. You have to drag
the layer and hold over the targeted tab for a few seconds - that document
will eventually come into view and allow the drop.

Nod, use move tool to drag the the layer you want to move directly, do not drag the layer icon

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 7:43:43 AM2/26/09
My bad ...

I could've sworn I've done this from the layer pallet before - but you're right, only seems to work by dragging layers from the image area. (which is dumb)

In that case, if you absolutely need to do this via layer icons, I think the most efficient solution would be to use the image tile feature. Dragging from the layers pallet DOES work with that method. :)

-phil

A._Tz.@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 8:55:04 AM2/26/09
It is very slow to tile the images. Hopefully Adobe will fix it.. this is a real slowdown

Thanks

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 11:10:15 AM2/26/09
It shouldn't be slow.

I don't know how many Tabs you have in use, but going to the Arrange button in the Applications Bar; and choosing the number of tiles and the arrangement that you want (by double-clicking on the one of the selections in the drop-down menu): should be instantaneous.

This seems to work most efficiently if you use the Application Frame.

A._Tz.@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 11:29:37 AM2/26/09
By slow I mean it is an extra step. A step I don't want to do because, it should of been implemented in first place – the same way it is in Illustrator CS4.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 11:54:34 AM2/26/09
Then work in un-tabbed mode.

A._Tz.@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 12:23:37 PM2/26/09
When it is necessary I work in un-tabbed mode. But the tabs are more convenient in 90% of the times.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 12:46:24 PM2/26/09
I agree with you and that's why I find the "n-up" Arrangement button so useful.

It really does work instantaneously here — literally in a blink of the eye.

Buko

Feb 26, 2009, 1:56:03 PM2/26/09
You can also select all the layers you want to copy and in the layers panel flyout choose dup layers and then target the the doc you want them in in the pull down.

Fred M Stevens

Feb 26, 2009, 11:26:53 PM2/26/09
buko... that's a nifty trick. I usually just drag one layer (or a group of layers) onto the New Layer button in the Layers panel for duplication, since that was the quickest way I could find.

I've now made a keyboard shortcut of the Layers > Duplicate Layers command (same as what's in the Layers panel flyout menu) for duplicating layers in general, since it has that added advantage of being able to quickly transfer those duped layers to a new document that's in a hidden tab.

I guess you can learn some way to make your workflow more efficient every day

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 27, 2009, 1:32:36 AM2/27/09
Ping,

I never, ever used tabbed mode, so it doesn't bother me really. However, I do think that it should work by dragging the layer from the Layer Panels too. I suppose a Feature Request is in order. :/

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 27, 2009, 1:34:43 AM2/27/09
Buko's solution is excellent:

select all the layers you want to copy and, in the layers panel flyout,

A._Tz.@adobeforums.com

Feb 27, 2009, 2:29:05 AM2/27/09
Thanks Buko, excellent comment.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Feb 27, 2009, 3:12:52 AM2/27/09
Great feature no need to drag and if you do not have to go to that document at the time of you layer export then you can continue to work in the current document without refocusing.

Interesting feature and another argument as to why this is more efficient then a lot of open windows floating all around the place.

I guess some users are missing out on a lot of advantages with this mind set about the old ways.