MacBook Pro

Andrew_N...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 1:00:07 AM2/25/09
Anyone had any experience yet with the new MacBookPro 17" and Lightroom/Cs4? I'm curious about speed. Is the 8Gb necessary over 4Gb - they want an extra 1200 bucks for 4 Gigs of RAM - that seems excessive given the present cost of memory chips. Any input would be welcome as I'm about to lay down my money and need to decide...
Thanks,
Andrew

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 8:46:33 AM2/25/09

they want an extra 1200 bucks

Who is 'they'?

If RAM is cheaper elsewhere, buy it elsewhere. Apple always overcharges for RAM.

You can always buy a little RAM now and upgrade later... when prices drop a bit more ...and when you realize if you really need it.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 9:33:24 AM2/25/09
This is a very reliable and Mac oriented supplier from whom many of us routinely buy RAM, drives, etc.:

<http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/>

Andrew_N...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 10:12:12 AM2/25/09
Thanks Guys! I am still hoping to hear from someone using a MacBook Pro with LR/CS4 to get a sense of how they perform together.
Thanks,
Andrew

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 11:17:01 AM2/25/09
Andrew,

Fast CPUs, big hard drives, separate monitor, and a lot of RAM are always best. But laptops are always a compromise for the sake of portability. Understand that the best setup for heavy use is going to be a Mac tower. But if portability if key, the configuration you're looking at should work fine. As for RAM, the larger and more complex the files, the more apps you are using simultaneously, the more, the better. You should also consider adding a separate external drive for scratch.

Other good RAM sources: Crucial and RAMjet.

Neil

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 11:18:28 AM2/25/09
Andrew,

Fast CPUs, multiple big hard drives, separate monitor, and a lot of RAM are always best. So laptops are always a compromise for the sake of portability. Understand that the best setup for heavy-duty use is generally going to be a Mac tower. But if portability if key, the configuration you're looking at should work fine. As for RAM, the larger and more complex the files, the more apps you are using simultaneously, the more, the better. You should also consider adding a separate external drive for scratch.

Paul_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 12:23:28 PM2/25/09
Make sure you get a matte screen.

pbc

Andrew_N...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 1:06:33 PM2/25/09
Neil - thanks for the input. I was assuming I could repartition and create a dedicated scratch partition as I have done with all my PC's. The idea of an external scratch might be a solution of the partitioning can't be done. As I may have indicated - I've worked with PC's for 30 years (can you believe it!!) and this will be a first foray into the apple orchard.

Yes I need portability right now as I will be moving between two locations (home studio and remote). That's why I'd like to hear from someone using the MacBook Pro to get their experience re speed and performance.

Paul - yes indeed. I had also looked at the 24 inch Cinema display until I saw the glossy glass. I think I'll go with an NEC or Lacie instead as a second monitor.

Thanks again.

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 1:17:54 PM2/25/09
Andrew,

was assuming I could repartition and create a dedicated scratch partition
as I have done with all my PC's.

But then you have one set of heads multitasking between the OS and the app. And that slows you down. A fast external drive would be better.

Neil

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 2:41:57 PM2/25/09
Partitioning the drive would not help at all, for the reason explained by Neil.

If anything, as long as you have only one drive, you're much better off NOT partitioning it.

Andrew_N...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 3:58:24 PM2/25/09
OK - got it. Thanks...any specific suggestions for a fast external drive dedicated as a scratch disk?

Thanks

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Feb 25, 2009, 4:57:38 PM2/25/09
I don't know about the Mac Version of the new laptops but I have heard that the new pc versions fly and they take 16 GB of RA and I am told it does make a difference, the people I know who use them do video but use many still images they work with in Photoshop and they are very happy.

But I would think you want to discuss this in the LR forum.

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 9:39:06 AM2/26/09
I have not used one yet, but the new 17" MBP should provide a truly excellent mobile graphics platform. What I like about it rather than the 15" MBP:

• More screen real estate, a very big deal when in the field and no external display is connected.

• Much higher pixel count, a very big deal when in the field and no external display is connected.

• Available matte display, a very big deal (to many graphics pros) when in the field and no external display is connected. Note however that I not have actually seen the new 17" MBP because it just recently started shipping.

• Faster; the added size and easier heat dissipation of the 17" apparently allow Apple to make less engineering compromises.

• Twice the available RAM, a very big deal moving forward as app vendors evolve apps to better utilize available cheap RAM, OS 10.6 and boxes with more RAM access. Under OS X Photoshop (and probably Aperture as well) can already take advantage of up to 32 GB installed RAM, maybe more.

• Longer battery life is alleged by Apple and by the first users who have received the new 17" MBPs, which matters not to me but some folks care.

• After years of using 15" and smaller, starting with the Duo, I currently use a 2.33 GHz 17" and far prefer the larger size. :)

• All the above benefits and it only weighs 1.1 pound more than the 15" MBP.

IMO a carefully set up external hard drive configuration will be necessary when functioning as a desktop box replacement.

As you noted the cost of maximizing RAM in the new MBP unfortunately is still exorbitant, but that price is already falling. Just watch OWC prices and wait a bit to max out the RAM.

Andrew_N...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 10:12:59 AM2/26/09
Allen:
Thank you so much for your detailed response. Your input is extremely helpful and exactly what I was hoping to receive.
Best regards,
Andrew

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 12:34:15 PM2/26/09

Thanks...any specific suggestions for a fast external drive dedicated
as a scratch disk?

Check which ports the MacBook Pro which you are buying has because I understand that some laptops no longer have Firewire ports.

Providing that you have FW, an FW800 external drive would work.

Ask OWC for help with this too.

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 3:28:48 PM2/26/09
All Macbook Pros have FW800 as well as EC/34 slots that allow eSATA cards. Various Macbooks lack FW and all Macbooks lack EC/34.

Paul_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 4:46:05 PM2/26/09
I have done billboards on my 17" MacBook Pro (it's older so I can't report on the capabilities of the new ones) and I used a FW800 disk as a scratch drive. Worked very well.

pbc

randa...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 11:48:42 PM2/26/09
I own the last MBP before the very latest one just came out. The matte screen sucks and CM is just about impossible. To do any work worthy of showing, one has to use an Apple Cinema Display. So I carry this ACD along with me and the laptop. Unbelievable.

The ACD I use is the 23 inch and it now has over 6000 miles of travel.

Using PS CS4 is not really a problem even on my Canon 40D raw files. The units have always had heat issues, and they remind people they are notebooks and not laptops so keep them off your lap as they do get hot.

I have 2.4 GHz with 3GB ram. I do not do 3d. Bridge will do fine until I have more than 2000 images in a folder. We are talking 50mb PSD files here. Then it slows some. Where it kills you is video. The MBP I have will heat up when watching video clips including YouTube. Like photoshop tutorials and the like.

I won't go to a desktop but will be stuck with hauling the ACD with me every where I go. I cannot say if the new MBP with matte screen is any better than my generation with its matte screen. I heard they didn't change a lot between the two. Just better drivers for the video card and not using a fake 16.7 million colors like my MPB which they were sued over.

I can say people think the screen looks great but then again, they don't know what great is till they see it hooked up to the ACD. Then they really say wow.

But lightweight versus a MacPro at 45 pounds. Anyway... hope some of that helps...