not supported on this architecture error

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 1:18:07 PM3/30/09
I just installed PS CS4. It runs fine and I have run the updater. Problem is Bridge. I get an error "You can't open the application "Adobe Bridge CS4" because it is not supported on this architecture. Apps are installed on an 8 core Mac Pro OS x 10.5.6. Any tips for this problem?

PS CS3, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, and Lightroom 2 are also installed on this Mac.

Thanks,

David

steve_g...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 1:47:16 PM3/30/09
Hi David,

Can you look at the Bridge CS4 application in Finder and tell me what version is showing up when you Get Info (CMD + I) on it. You shouldn't be seeing that message with the shipping CS4 version.

thx,
steve

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 1:52:14 PM3/30/09
HI Steve,

3.0.0.464 (144651)

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 5:25:33 PM3/30/09
HI Steve,

Is this the version you expect?

steve_g...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 5:49:03 PM3/30/09
Hi Dave,

Sorry. That version is the shipping version. I'm not sure why you are getting the error.

Have you tried resetting your prefs. on launch? (Option double click the app)

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 7:15:36 PM3/30/09
Funny thing is the icon for the Bridge is "broken" too. It has a line thought it and is kind of grayed out. I tried running the installer again "re-install" but the results are the same. Do I have to delete Bridge CS3? or should they be OK together?

Thanks,

David

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 7:37:32 PM3/30/09
Sounds like you have some disk corruption, or a problem with some anti-virus utility.

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 8:25:51 PM3/30/09
Hi Chris,

No antivirus and I just installed on my laptop and have the same problem. Does it matter that PS CS3 and Bridge CS3 were installed as part of Web Suite? I uninstalled PS CS4 from my laptop and notice that the uninstaller left Bridge CS4 behind.

Thanks,

David

Buko

Mar 30, 2009, 8:33:12 PM3/30/09
CS3 and CS4 have nothing to do with each other.

steve_g...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 8:42:21 PM3/30/09
Hi Dave,

OK, you are getting OS level errors not Bridge errors.

Bridge CS3 and CS4 can reside on the same machine without problem, assuming nothing gets whacked by the installers. I don't have enough experience with the installers to offer any sound advice.

So you have Web Premium CS3 and Photoshop CS4?

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 8:48:35 PM3/30/09
Yes Web Suite Premium CS3, InDesign CS3, and Photoshop Extended CS4.

Same error on two different Macs?

Isn't the "not supported on this architecture" error an Adobe error?

Thanks,

David

steve_g...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 8:58:35 PM3/30/09
Nope, that error is from the OS.

I'll forward this thread on to someone that should be able to help troubleshoot this.

Neil and Ramon might have some sage advice as well.

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 9:23:36 PM3/30/09
I see. I've been looking into it a bit. I can't find anything related to this specific problem everything is related to trying to run a PPC app on an intel mac or vice versa. If it just happened on one mac I could see it being a corrupt file but on two?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--David

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2009, 11:55:58 PM3/30/09
Did you Repair Permissions before and after the installation? See my reply to your duplicate post.

Blue_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:29:56 AM3/31/09
Hi David,
The error is due to the Mactel OS.
You could repair the Volume in which you are booted. Thereafter you can try reinstalling Photoshop CS4.

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 7:07:58 AM3/31/09
Ramon,

Yes. I repaired before and after. Even repaired after running the updater.

Blue,

Disk utility says the disk is fine. Can you elaborate? Note I'm getting the same problem on two different Macs.

Thanks,

David

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 7:21:58 AM3/31/09

Can you elaborate?

No. Sorry, when it comes to Leopard, I have no other thoughts.

Repairing Disk and Repairing Permissions are two different things.

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 7:38:38 AM3/31/09
did both. I'll try again later today.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 7:50:43 AM3/31/09
After the fact seldom helps, David.

Here's some boilerplate text I use (and which drives some up the wall. :D)

I still advocate Repairing Permissions (with Apple's Disk Utility) before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that's OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don't pretend to know why others believe otherwise. Note that this suggestion begins with "I still advocate…", not "Apple recommends…".

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help. Try it anyway, though.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don't run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here's an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.

NOTE: There have been comments to the effect that Apple "fixed" this in 10.4.2 and later versions of the OS, but I have not been able to verify this to my satisfaction. The reference in the 10.4.2 release notes are far from explicit on this subject.

Other, more reliable reports indicate that this seems to have been fixed in the current version of Leopard.

In any event, Repairing Permissions and/or running the Cron Scripts cannot hurt.

If you have DiskWarrior, run it regularly too. It can't hurt either, and it often improves stability and performance. :)

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 8:05:31 AM3/31/09
If this same issue is happening on two machines, I'd suspect faulty install discs or a corrupt downloaded install file.

-phil

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 8:52:09 AM3/31/09

...Ramon might have some sage advice as well.

LOL @ Steve.

After the fact seldom helps, David.

If Ramon had the slightest understanding of what repairing permissions does, he would not be pasting the same silliness in so many threads. How do you repair something if it is not after the fact?

Waste time if it suits you but no intelligent source has ever advised repairing permissions prior to an administrative action like an installation. Permission repair is optionally done after an installation.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452>

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 9:28:57 AM3/31/09
Ramon, I did repair before and after the install. On both Macs.

Bad disk sounds plausible. Same problem on two macs seems unlikely.

Thanks for the advice.

--David

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 9:46:18 AM3/31/09
Looks like the disk is bad.
I went into the payloads/AdobeBridge3All and tried to mount AdobeBridge3All.dmg. The disk image cannot be mounted. Error is "Unable to attach "AdobeBridge3All.dmg". (codec overrun)"

I'll look into getting a new disk.

--David

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 12:19:16 PM3/31/09
One last-ditch idea:

See if DiskWarrior can mount the Disk and then Repair and replace the Directory.

Another FINAL final last-ditch (if you have valuable non-backed-up data on that Disk is to try "Data Rescue II".

<http://www.prosofteng.com/>

[ "Jim Jordan's remarks are (as always) unhelpful, discourteous and unnecessary.]

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 12:46:52 PM3/31/09
Hi Ann,

I mean on the installer DVD. The AdobeBridge3All.dmg in the payloads folder cannot be opened.

I tried copying the disk image to my local drive and get the same error. Maybe I can repair it and make a new disk?

Thanks,

David

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 12:51:55 PM3/31/09

[ "Jim Jordan's remarks are (as always) unhelpful, discourteous and unnecessary.]

If Ann wants to debate something I have posted, she would do much better to provide contrary evidence. The only evidence she presents is that she is an insulting, useless idiot, as always.

Are you talking about your HD or a saved Disk Image: "AdobeBridge3All.dmg."

Ann, a DMG file is a saved disk image. It may be on a hard drive or on another disk.

See if DiskWarrior can mount the Disk and then Repair and replace the
Directory.

The last thing you want to do is to attempt to repair something when Adobe should supply proper media. David is entitled to that; not the headache of trying to troubleshoot with extra tools.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 12:57:44 PM3/31/09
As far as I know, you can ONLY install Bridge by installing Photoshop — they are tied together.

Use the Photoshop UNinstaller to remove all traces of CS3 (and run the Clean Script for good measure as well); then re-install Photoshop CS4.

I am wondering if you are running into this problem because you are using what may be a non-approved Upgrade Path as PS CS3 and Bridge CS3 were installed as part of "Web Suite".

I am not qualified to know if this could be an issue or not.
Perhaps Customer Service can help?

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:01:33 PM3/31/09
Ann, the problem that David has already realized is that the Photoshop installer is not able to open and process the Bridge component because it is packed in a faulty DMG file on the disk.

He's already done this on two computers with the same result. Do we realize what word we use to define the act of doing something over and over again and expecting a different result?

Ann Shelbourne:

I am not qualified to know

INDEED!

Buko

Mar 31, 2009, 1:11:43 PM3/31/09
talk about taking something out of context jim

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:15:11 PM3/31/09
David:

Just ignore he previous poster's rude and unhelpful remarks, but please note that I am suggesting that there is probably nothing physically wrong with the Adobe Upgrade DVDk except that you may have purchased the wrong Upgrade … and should therefore contact Customer Service.

Nini Tjäder

Mar 31, 2009, 1:19:00 PM3/31/09
As for installing Bridge it installs with any suite and standalone where it is included and not only by installing Photoshop. It doesn't belong to Photoshop or is a part of Photoshop, it is a part of the Suite and the apps that comes with the suits where Photoshop is one of them.

What you could try if you didn't already, as Bridge anyways doesn't work, is to delete only Bridge, manually by simply trashing it.

Then run the latest update for any of the suit-apps. That would, with a bit of luck, also install Bridge again as it is missing.

Or run the installer once again after trashing the Bridge folder. The installer wont re-install anything if it is already present. You physically have to get rid of it first before being able to reinstall it. It is usually smart enough to know what is missing and tries to reinstall just that.

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:27:39 PM3/31/09

talk about taking something out of context jim

Buko, nothing is out of context. Ann was fairly recognizing that she does not have all the answers. It just confuses how someone who does not have the answers can be so certain that another is wrong. Ann is a curse on the civility of this forum. And Buko is the child that follows mommy.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:27:05 PM3/31/09
I am not sure that you get Bridge unless Photoshop is installed whether as a separate program or as part of a Suite.

Check your CS4 Application folders and you will see that other components of the Suite have UNinstallers — but Bridge does not.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:39:08 PM3/31/09
IGNORED

Jim_J...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:40:05 PM3/31/09
AS IF

:)

Ann, if you want to ignore something, you do not post a reply to it. Would you like any other communication lessons or do you prefer to persist in acting like a child among your peers here?

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 1:50:56 PM3/31/09

I went into the payloads/AdobeBridge3All folder and tried to mount AdobeBridge3All.dmg.

Did the same here and it mounted fine. So yeah - get another disc. In the meantime, if you're impatient you might try downloading the 30 day trial version and using your supplied serial number to register and activate. Not sure if Adobe provides a special serial for converting trial versions to retail but it's worth a shot. I'm thinking it should work fine.

Ann -
David is not trying to use an "improper upgrade path". The file he mentions is in the installer setup - it's a mountable file that he cannot mount. He's only doing this to test the integrity of the install files. It would appear that they are corrupt. It happens.

-phil

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 2:08:50 PM3/31/09
Phil:

The Upgrade path was just a possibility because he mentioned upgrading only Photoshop CS4 and Bridge CS4 from the CS3 Web Suite; and the Adobe policy has normally meant either buying a Suite-to-Suite upgrade or installing FULL versions of an individual application.

David still needs to call Customer Service anyway.

David_R...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 2:54:58 PM3/31/09
Phil,
Thanks for confirming. Just to clarify, the Bridge installer component of the Photoshop CS4 disk (DVD) is corrupted and will not mount using the finder or Disk Utility. I was able to mount it with Toast of all things but there is clearly something wrong with it. The Finder balks at copying anything from the mounted image "file damaged" type of error. This confirms for me that it will not install correctly because the installer disk is damaged. I wasn't trying to install Bridge by itself, just trying figure out what is wrong.

I talked to my IT guys and they are getting me a new disk. Annoying but I would rather have this problem than a conflict that required uninstalling/reinstalling this and that.

Nini Tjäder

Mar 31, 2009, 5:14:55 PM3/31/09
Ann,
You DO get Bridge if you only install InDesign or only install Illustrator. Or only Photoshop. It is not tied to Photoshop alone. It is in essence tied to the Suites and you are unable to NOT install Bridge (should you so wish) when you install a Suite or part thereof (doesn't matter which Suite). You also get it when installing a standalone version of one of the Adobe apps, at least with Illustrator or InDesign (the other ones I've never seen as standalones and don't know). Bridge is not only used for photos. It is also used for vector art from Illustrator and previewing InDesign pages before openign or palcing them and previewing pdfs and a lot of other files, plus for placing images into either Indesign or Illustrator. And of course for the collaboration between the Suite apps of the same version.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 5:16:38 PM3/31/09
Bridge started out as the File Browser in Photoshop only, but that changed with CS2.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 6:37:54 PM3/31/09
Thank you for clarifying that as I certainly remember that it was tied to Photoshop at one time.
As I use the Suites, I hadn't realised that that proprietorial situation had changed.

Blue_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 1, 2009, 6:27:59 AM4/1/09
Hi David,

You can try uninstalling Photoshop CS4 from your system from Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers.
Thereafter you can try installing Photoshop CS4 again in your machine.
Please respond if this solves your problem.