Question about File Saving Options in Preferences

Jon_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 2:06:06 AM2/26/09
In PS CS4 Preferences, under File Handling there is a File Saving Options section with choices for saving various types and sizes of image previews. When and what are these used for and what would be some typical choices. Right now I have "ask when saving" check, but I don't really understand the use of this feature.
Thanks
Jonathan

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 2:27:52 AM2/26/09
Jon,

before attempting to answer your questions, I really have to know your familiarity with Photoshop. Have you ever used the application? Have you read the documentation, the Help files or any books?

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 2:28:11 AM2/26/09
The one that you need to concern yourself with is: "Maximize Compatability".

Maximizing Compatability includes a composite file in addition to your Layers; and makes it possible for older versions of Photoshop and other Applications to open your files.
It does make the files a little bigger but I choose "Always".

I save Icons and Thumbnails (but not the full-size Preview) and append lowercase extensions.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 2:31:48 AM2/26/09
Do NOT use the "Ask When Saving" option bext to "Append File Extension".

You definitely want to append the file extension ALWAYS.

Jon_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 11:30:44 AM2/26/09
I have been using PS for a few months and have a few books. Right now I have:
"Always" set for Max Compatibility, so that I can see the image in Expression Media.
"Always" set for Append File Extension.
I was looking for some information concerning the File Saving options, specifically the Image Previews: Icon, Thumbnails, Full Size etc.
When and why I would want any of them saved and what would be optimal settings for this preference, either for size or functionality.
Thanks again
Jonathan

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 11:58:58 AM2/26/09
Saving the Icon and Thumbnails adds a minimal amount to the file-size and is just for the convenience of the user, the people with whom he shares files and when burning files to CDs.

Jon_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 12:44:52 PM2/26/09
Could you provide a few more details and examples in real world situations. That would make their use somewhat clearer to me, and help me determine if I need to choose to use any of them.
Jonathan

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 12:54:50 PM2/26/09
You honestly need to try the options for yourself. Some people use the Finder and like to see icons of their Photoshop files on the Desktop and recipients of CDs mostly want to see icons too.

I suggest that you leave them checked and with "Always Save" —except for the Full Size preview.

Check out the Photoshop Help features (such as this one) for more info.

<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7720a.html>

Jon_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 4:39:01 PM2/26/09
Ann
It seems that if I have no need for the desktop icons and if I am not sending CDs, I could just leave the image previews shut off. Would there be any other situation that might come up that I would need them?
Thank you for your explanation
Jonathan

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 6:14:45 PM2/26/09
You could leave the icons and thumbnails turned off — but what would you gain by doing so?

I would just leave them switched on so that they are there when and if they are needed — either by you or by others.

I am not certain but I think that e-mail attachments may use them for example, and the Mac Finder does too.

Jon_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 26, 2009, 6:26:27 PM2/26/09
Ann
Thanks for the advice and I will leave them on
Jonathan

Ping Zheng

Feb 27, 2009, 12:42:13 AM2/27/09
There are three options for image preview on Mac
Icon: Go to Finder on Mac, View > show View Option, turn off "Show icon preview", then you can see the different result when save/not save icon in Photoshop
Thumbnails: save embedded thumbnail to the image, maybe sometimes for browse speed, but enlarge the image size
Windows Thumbnail in Photoshop save the thumbnail to the image itself.
Mac Thumbnail in Photoshop save the thumbnail to the image sidecard(the hidden file ._name.xx when you browse a Mac image on Windows )