Photoshop crashes when placing eps

Paul...@adobeforums.com

Nov 6, 2008, 6:13:24 AM11/6/08
Hi

I'm using Photoshop CS3 on a 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Mac running 10.5.5. I have 4 GB of RAM installed and over 400 GB of space available on the HD.

Photoshop frequently crashes when trying to place Quark eps files into a new document. It particularly seems to happen with larger files.

Could this simply be a memory problem, or is anyone aware of anything I could do to cure it?

Many thanks for any help.

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 6, 2008, 9:53:11 AM11/6/08
Paul,

It could be a problem with the actual construction of the XPress EPS -- in my experience, there is often a lot of extraneous or improperly created data in these particular files. What happens if you place a .pdf instead?

Neil

Buko

Nov 6, 2008, 9:55:31 AM11/6/08
or what if you just open the EPS?

Paul...@adobeforums.com

Nov 6, 2008, 10:59:56 AM11/6/08
Thank you for your responses.

Neil - Placing pdfs seems to be fine. I'm usually only using these as positionals anyway, so I could just start working with pdfs instead of Quark eps files. It just always irritates me when something doesn't work and I can't explain it!

Buko - You can't open a Quark eps directly - you'd have to place it or import it into another document, so I'm not quite sure what you mean?

Thanks again.

Paul

Buko

Nov 6, 2008, 11:03:43 AM11/6/08

You can't open a Quark eps directly

have you tried?

have you tried distilling the EPS and opening that?

Rene_G...@adobeforums.com

Nov 6, 2008, 11:22:33 AM11/6/08

You can't open a Quark eps directly

He meant dragging the Quark EPS onto the Photoshop icon.

Buko

Nov 6, 2008, 12:06:09 PM11/6/08
It has been years since I've had to use Quark but an EPS is an EPS no matter how poorly Quark makes them or how bad the format is. you should be able to open it with Photoshop.

Chri...@adobeforums.com

Nov 6, 2008, 3:26:51 PM11/6/08
Adobe would like to get a copy of an EPS file that causes a crash.

Neil_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 6, 2008, 5:21:18 PM11/6/08
Paul,

This is a great opportunity. Take Chris up on his offer and then let us know the outcome.

Neil

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Nov 6, 2008, 10:33:07 PM11/6/08

It just always irritates me when something doesn't work and I can't explain
it!

Then it's incomprehensible why are you still using QXP. :/

Mike_O...@adobeforums.com

Nov 7, 2008, 12:34:46 AM11/7/08
because we have to.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com