can't open image by right click w/Elements 2

1 view

Mac McDougald

Jan 22, 2003, 1:05:28 AM1/22/03
If you want Elements to be associated with a file type so that double
clicking the file opens it, you can use Edit/Associations

If you, as you indicate, just want it as a choice to open the file with
right click, yeah, sounds like you should reinstall to get it on your
choice list for apps. Sounds like something didn't take correctly in the
registry.

I'd probably UNinstall first, if it were me.

Mac

NetRN

Jan 22, 2003, 1:01:22 AM1/22/03
I just installled Elements 2, and I already had Elements installed. I did not uninstall Elements first because I thought 2 would update it, but it installed in a separate folder. I was unable to right click an image and open with 2 because Elements was the listed in the program list. Even if I browsed to Elements 2, it would still open with Elements.

So I uninstalled Elements and I am still unable to open an image by right clicking it and selecting open with - Elements 2 does not appear in the program list and when I browse to it and click, it just goes away, and the image opens with the Windows picture viewer.

Should I uninstall Elements 2 and re-install it, or is there another way to fix the problem? I can open any image with Elements 2 by opening the program and browsing to it, but it is a lot more convenient most of the time to right click and open that way.

Thanks for any help with this.

Chuck Snyder

Jan 22, 2003, 6:29:16 AM1/22/03
I believe you can add programs to the Open With by clicking on 'Other' when
you get the initial Open With screen. That will take you into a
Explorer-like listing of all folders and files, from which you can find the
.exe file for Elements 2. Just follow the screen directions and that will
add it permanently to the list.

Chuck

NetRN

Jan 22, 2003, 11:23:01 AM1/22/03
Thanks Mac and Chuck. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Chuck, when I try to do what you said, it won't work. It won't add it to the list. Hopefully reinstalling will fix it.

BobHill

Jan 22, 2003, 12:39:02 PM1/22/03
NetRN,

Find any of the file formats you wish to change to Elements 2.0. I suspect from the sound that you are using a PC (if MAC, it's different). Be sure a file of that format is selected (you can even do it in the Elements Open menu). Hold down SHIFT key and RIGHT click on that same file. (if you are using XP or 2000 still do that, but it's not all that necessary for your operating system). Now click OPEN WITH, and even if you see a listing for the program in the next menu, select CHOOSE PROGRAM, and then check the list of your installed programs until you see Elements 2 (you may have to go to your desktop to see this menu if it's behind your open program). Be sure to click the box in front of "Always use this program to open this type of file". OK and now you have re-associated the format to your program selection (Elements 2). This is what will make the association change. It has to get to the proper .exe file to associate and it's more likely to happen here than any other way.

You can uninstall Elements 1.0 and then reinstall Elements 2.0 (right over existing install will do it) and do the same thing, of course.

Bob

Mac McDougald

Jan 22, 2003, 2:30:40 PM1/22/03
Bob, it isn't totally clear, but he doesn't seem to want Elements to be
the default association, but just a choice in opening the files.

As I'm sure you know, you can associate Elements with file types right
within Elements menu if that's what one wants, without the normal Windows
routine.

Mac

NetRN

Jan 22, 2003, 3:13:19 PM1/22/03
You are right Mac, I just want Elements 2 to be a choice in opening the files. Depending on what I plan to do with a file, I might not always open it with Elements because it takes a little bit to load.

Thanks for your help. I'll reinstall Elements 2 later today and see if that solves the problem.

BobHill

Jan 23, 2003, 12:07:54 PM1/23/03
Mac,

Yep .. try it. You can do this (on a PC) from anywhere you can see the file, even a program Open menu.

and NetRN,

Then just right click (On a PC) and Open With ... no reassociation will be made and the file will open with the program you choose, which is probably on the list.

Bob

Mac McDougald

Jan 23, 2003, 12:18:51 PM1/23/03
Yes, I know that, Bob.
In Win 9x, it's shift+right click to get "open with"

The OP's prob is that PE2 doesn't show as an option on his program list.

Mac

Richard Coencas

Jan 23, 2003, 1:05:22 PM1/23/03
I'm joining this thread a little late, so sorry if I'm repeating advice already given. On XP, if I go to Open With it lists the usual suspects and at the bottom of the list I can select Choose Program. I select that and get a list of apps. I choose an app that was not on the list without checking the box for Always use this Program. It opens with the chosen app, I closed that app, and the next time that I right click on that image and look at the list of Open With apps, the new one has been added.

Rich

Mac McDougald

Jan 23, 2003, 2:31:39 PM1/23/03
Yes, that's the way it's supposed to work.
OP says it doesn't, that he doesn't have PE2 in extended apps list.
Sounds like something didn't get notated in registry correctly during
install.

Mac

Richard Coencas

Jan 23, 2003, 4:06:08 PM1/23/03
Thanks Mac, I'd consider doing a reinstall over the old one, just to update the registry.

Mac McDougald

Jan 23, 2003, 5:30:13 PM1/23/03
That's what we recommended.
Not me with the prob.

But I see what he prob is.
Like me, he had PE 1 installed, then installed PE 2.
PE 2 doesn't show as option.

I happen to have Elements 1 and 2 both installed.
Elements 1 shows as option, Elements 2 does not.

I also have PhotoShop 6 and 7 installed.
In this case 7 is option, 6 is not.

This on Win98SE.

Mac

NetRN

Jan 24, 2003, 12:50:16 AM1/24/03
I just re-installed Elements 2 over itself but it still does not show up in the list of programs to open with on right click. I browsed to the program files, Adobe folder, clicked on the file with the sunflower icon and nothing happens. The image does not open and Elements 2 does not show up in the list still. :( Should I use a different file?

Mac, you have the correct take on my problem. Thanks to everyone who replied.

I'll try uninstalling it and then reinstall to see if that fixes it. My system:

Dell 4400 desktop, XP Home, 1.7Gh, 256MB, 40Gb hd. I have plenty of free disk space. I turned off all programs for the install including AV and firewall.

Any other suggestions? I thought sure the reinstall would fix it but...

Mac McDougald

Jan 24, 2003, 9:47:12 AM1/24/03
I can't think of anything beyond :
- UNinstalling and then REinstalling.
OR
- maybe you should try associating PE2 with a common file type or two
within the program (Edit/File Association). Then, change the association
within Windows back to how you had it. Maybe that will get PE2 on the
list?

Again, little odd here. I have both PE1 and PE2 installed (PE2 was of
course installed second), and only PE1 shows as option for me.

Mac

NetRN

Jan 25, 2003, 2:37:58 AM1/25/03
Ok, Mac, got the problem fixed. I did uninstall and reinstall PE 2 but it still did not show up in the list for an option to open a jpeg with. So I opened Elements and made the file associations, and voila! Now it shows up as one of the choices.

So I guess it has to be associated with the file type to show up in the list. That would explain why you would have only one of the PE programs in your list, I think because you can only have your file associaton for say, jpeg or gif, set for one or the other, not both versions of PE.

Now I'm wondering if I unchecked the association for jpeg, would it still be in the list? I think it would because once its there, I think it stays unless you uninstall the program. All the other programs I could possibly open the image with are still in the list even though PE 2 is the chosen one.

Thanks for your help :)

NetRN

Jan 25, 2003, 2:40:41 AM1/25/03
Mac, one more thing. I am curious if you still use both versions of PE. What do you use one over the other for? I mean what would you use PE 1 for instead of using PE 2?

I was wondering if I should reinstall PE 1 and have them both on.

Mac McDougald

Jan 25, 2003, 10:57:40 AM1/25/03
Oh, I just never took PE1 off.
Long story why I even have PE at all, partially to do with a puter club
and reviews, partly because I have some clients that use it and I need to
"support" them.
I'm a long time PhotoShop user, but found I used the stitching
(PhotoMerge) in PE some, couple other things. Now I found the way to move
the stitching plugin to full PhotoShop (which doesn't come with it).

I'm about due for a big HD cleanup :-)

Mac

bphill

Feb 16, 2003, 4:10:29 AM2/16/03
I had the same problem. I uninstalled elements 1 and later elements 2.
Then reinstalled elements 2 with the same results. I then tried the
same actions logged in as administrator (windows 2000). Same results.