how to make other people image more beautiful

1 view

cj...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 8:40:43 PM3/6/09
how to make other people image more beautiful?

L...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 9:11:02 PM3/6/09
See them through God's eyes. :-)

Ozp...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 9:11:28 PM3/6/09
Your question is too unclear to be answered.

Can you describe exactly what you want to do? What is wrong with the image now?

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 9:15:12 PM3/6/09

See them through God's eyes.

XD

If that doesn't work, maybe throw in a little Clinique.

L...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 9:18:11 PM3/6/09

If that doesn't work, maybe throw in a little Clinique.

Or both :-)

cj...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 10:38:11 PM3/6/09
just want to learn only my trainer never teach me

cj...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 10:36:55 PM3/6/09
then, how could i do the make up

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 11:37:56 PM3/6/09
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=glamour+makeup&btnG=Google+Search&aq=0&oq=>

(I hope this doesn't break the forum format---Ramón will kill me. 8) )

(Phew...)

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:32:10 AM3/7/09
(or plunk you) 8o

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:44:06 AM3/7/09
Well I think this is a good topic that has a lot of possibilities, I understand the OP is seemingly being vague but I think perhaps it might be grammatical more then lack of content.

But there are techniques and different approaches to capturing the best qualities of the subject especially those of the human subject.

cjmah

the best way to go about this is post an image that you took of someone that you think can be improved and we can share with you techniques and ideas about equipment that you might like to have to help you achieve what you want to achieve.

Her you save the image as a jpeg about 600 to 700 pixels on the longest length the go to this link

<http://www.pixentral.com> you follow the instructions for uploading the file then you copy the text in the top text field and paste it into you message before you post it.

Make certain you copy all the text including the link you know from and including this

It is a good subject.

cj...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 2:44:14 AM3/7/09
no la
i'm just learning only
thank u

Ho

Mar 7, 2009, 7:31:00 AM3/7/09
I've posted this before.
<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1zfmod2L10lzEtOocQPP0LCAzKpo9>

Cleanups can be minor or dramatic. In this case all that was done was cloning out the stray hair, smoothing the skin, softening the shadow under the chin and ever so slightly narrowing the nose. The color was tweaked to give a better result on my printer.

This site has changed since I bookmarked it, but it still has some glamour tips.

<http://www.garageglamour.com/forums/view.php?pg=phototips>

gar...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 11:29:17 AM3/7/09
Gaussian Blur - Radius 20 Pixels.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 11:54:11 AM3/7/09
A wonderful tool, and I consider it better than Gaussian Blur because it doesn't blast human skin into suede(!), is to use negative Clarity (minus values on the ACR slider) and the Local Adjustments Brush in ACR 5.3 on just the parts of the skin that you want to make a little smoother.

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:11:30 PM3/7/09

how to make other people image more beautiful?

In general telephoto will make people images more pleasing than wider angle, as will in general more open apertures leading to shorter depth of field, as will in general a bit of backlighting.

In general. Mileage will vary. :)

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:16:50 PM3/7/09

Local Adjustments Brush in ACR 5.3

Ann-

Is this an ACR 5.3-only technique?

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:25:19 PM3/7/09
I think in ACR 5 it is new. It is in Lightroom 2 as well!

Also gradient adjustments because you can control exposure and color and saturation and clarity and contrast in a localize way. Can be erased or partially erased deleted adjusted later at anytime. These are excellent tools.

Now if we can get perspective adjustments in the straightening tool then we will really be flying. Even if only for minor adjustments.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:27:05 PM3/7/09
Yes: ACR 5.2 and 5.3 only.

To me, ACR 5.3, used in conjunction with Bridge CS4, is the single most important reason for making upgrading to Photoshop CS4 essential.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:39:50 PM3/7/09
This was done using "Negative Clarity" brushed-in with the Adjustment Brush on just the skin:

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1oLNrwiaoNTKdxWQ4eKkq7gDFZD1Q0>

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:52:42 PM3/7/09
Very nice "natural" shot of a very pretty woman, Ann. The most important thing (in my eyes) is that your handiwork doesn't show.

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 12:51:31 PM3/7/09

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 1:07:26 PM3/7/09
Thank you, Shep!

I think that the fact that the new Adjustment Brushes work so smoothly and subtly is their great attraction and, because you are working in ACR, all adjustments are totally non-destructive and re-adjustable.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 6:21:08 PM3/7/09
Lightroom uses the ACR 5.3 as the engine that drive it as well and gives you an easier way of managing your assets.

Ann, isn't that your granddaughter?

In which case as I remember from the last photo your posted of her it really was unnecessary in my opinion to do this as the more natural look to me looked …well more natural which I thought was more then attractive enough.

But since my wonderful remembrance for faces and names are no more I am not certain if it is the same person.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 7, 2009, 7:13:18 PM3/7/09
I construed the OP a little differently:

How do you retouch/restore photographs taken by others?

Laurenti...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 7:35:47 AM3/8/09
Tolstoy may have experimented with taking his glasses off to make people look more beautiful.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 10:57:37 AM3/8/09
In your case yes.

Laurenti...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 11:26:57 AM3/8/09
you just said that to make yourself look smarter
[to yourself]
somewhat like I did, but without reason : )

In the Boyhood part of his autobiographical trilogy, Tolstoy described one of his reactions to starting wearing glasses
women stopped being as pretty as they used to be

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 11:50:14 AM3/8/09
When you think about it, our eyes are just portals to our brains. All the more reason not to try to somehow standardize/categorize what we are "seeing."

Ho

Mar 8, 2009, 12:08:10 PM3/8/09

Tolstoy may have experimented with taking his glasses off...

beer used to work for me. :)

garyb50

Mar 8, 2009, 4:35:31 PM3/8/09
Let me try this again... I meant to type 'Gaussian Beer @ Radius 20 pixels.

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 4:50:32 PM3/8/09

I meant to type 'Gaussian Beer @ Radius 20 pixels.

In earlier days, I favored the "Beer" and "Beer More" filters.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 7:30:45 PM3/8/09

as I remember from the last photo your posted of her it really was unnecessary
in my opinion to do this as the more natural look to me looked …well more
natural which I thought was more then attractive enough.

She never saw the totally unretouched version of that earlier shot because teenagers (and most of the rest of us too?) are very self-conscious and want to see perfect skin in their photographs — so just a little retouching is tactful and is necessary in order to keep them happy!

I just tried to do the minimum but without going as far as getting that "suede" finish to the skin that we see so frequently.

Adjustment Brushes are indeed part of the new Lightroom (it also uses the ACR 5.3 software) but I dislike LR intensely (and particularly its interface) and find the Bridge CS4/ACR 5.3 so much more efficient and much quicker to use — particularly as I often find it useful to open several hundred shots directly into ACR to both preview them at 100% and then work on the whole batch simultaneously.

I also need the rest of the CS4 Suite anyway — so LR would just be an unecessary extra expense.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 8:01:32 PM3/8/09
Lightroom helps me work much faster with a lot less worries.

And as far as your granddaughter goes using her as an example for this topic is sort of cheating since it is obvious that one does not have to make her look beautiful.

She actualy reminds me a little bit of you in your wedding photo. And I see a little bit of Jeremy there as well.

It doesn't matter it all work out extremely well.

John_V...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 8:37:35 PM3/8/09
For skin retouching try this tutorial:

<http://www.ferradasphotography.com/skinsosoft/>

John_V...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 8:39:43 PM3/8/09

John_V...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 9:52:34 PM3/8/09
Here's retouching more than just skin...click on tutorials:

<http://www.christyschuler.com/retouching.html>

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 8, 2009, 10:48:27 PM3/8/09

And as far as your granddaughter goes using her as an example for this
topic is sort of cheating since it is obvious that one does not have to
make her look beautiful.

I don't think that I should tell her that you said that because I wouldn't want to encourage Vanity!

:)

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 9, 2009, 1:00:22 AM3/9/09
I don't think you will have to tell her.

Laurenti...@adobeforums.com

Mar 9, 2009, 6:59:56 AM3/9/09
tell Wade!
(there's no way his vanity could be affected : )

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 9, 2009, 5:02:35 PM3/9/09
LT I think we are talking about the young lady here did you read something wrong?

My vanity is intact and as inflated as is humanly possible, so I am content with its state.

And your how is yours?

8D!

Laurenti...@adobeforums.com

Mar 9, 2009, 6:22:10 PM3/9/09
fine : )

Ken_N...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 1:51:02 PM3/10/09
LRK - 7:11pm Mar 6, 09 PST (#1 of 40)
See them through God's eyes.

I get it Linda. Also, it shows in your work.

Very nice.

Ken

L...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 3:03:11 PM3/10/09
Hi Ken! :-) Thank you! It's nice to see you posting again.

Laurenti...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 4:33:19 PM3/10/09

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 5:05:37 PM3/10/09
I retouch but I remove things that are not part of the subject and I do that rarely I will straighten the image and i will dodge and burn but I think it is unnecessary to alter the person or building or product. I can see cleaning up a label that was not like the label you would be more likely to see in the store but to make it look perfect is not acceptable in my opinion as there is no real perfection and anyone who thinks so has a problem with their own self esteem.

But then I do not lie in order to win arguments or present myself in a better light and so I do admit I am not the norm.

Of course if the object of the visual is to be fantasy for instance then it is fine to alter it all you want, that is what fantasy is about. However the law they are making in France is a really good one s they recognize the hypnotic effect of flashing through the pages of a magazine or a ton of magazines and the the same is true for tV and Film but even more so because of the incredible number of images that passes by the viewer's eyes.

Unfortunately the film makers and the TV producers know this and take advantage of it to the point of even making any films and releases them knowing they will loose money at first on them but in the future the viewers will be drawn to them because of the training they have invested in.

And I know this to be true.

I think that leaving the subject as is is the best policy and gives the most natural look.

Just look at the photo I took of Peter Figen, she can definitely make the cover of vogue!

LOL!

Laurenti...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 8:01:21 PM3/10/09
the french just discovered that subliminal stimulation is harmful? : )

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subliminal_message>

or are you talking about epilepsy inducing video frequencies
(mainly in video games)

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 12:22:44 AM3/11/09
Wasn't referring to subliminal messages. The film sequence and the video scanning in itself is so repetitive that it has an hypnotic effect on the viewer.

Add some food and you induce an almost sleep like effect and though you might not actually sleep you can become caught up in the events of what you see or more accurately what you think you see.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 8:55:55 AM3/11/09
But back to the topic making people look good is to photograph them as they are and as Linda said in the first place see them as being beautiful.

There is a photograph of Albert Einstein that is great and shows him as the person he probably really was and the image is quite an expression. I can't be certain but I do not detect any retouching.

There is a photograph of the actress Frances Farmer by Edward Steichen that is my favorite portrait photo over any other portrait and it does not at all look retouched in any way. the lighting is subtle and simple as well.

I think when you retouch a retouch a portrait you insult the subject. If someone asks for it then…well it is their call but it is no longer a portrait of the person.

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 12:18:17 PM3/11/09

I think when you retouch a retouch a portrait you insult the subject.
If someone asks for it then…well it is their call but it is no longer
a portrait of the person.

I disagree.

IMO every image is contrived by definition. For example every portrait is modified by the photog's choice of aperture/DOF, focal length, lighting, film type, etc.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 1:57:45 PM3/11/09
Do you really believe that?

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 2:19:22 PM3/11/09
A painter or sculptor portrays their subjects in the way that they perceive them and they try to embody that experience in their media in such a manner that they hope that you, the viewer, will perceive and share their vision.

As a photographer, I do the same thing … and I will use whatever tools that I need either before taking the shot (in my case, it is usually BEFORE) or afterwards to attain that result.

Allen...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 3:57:49 PM3/11/09

Do you really believe that?

Yes or I would not have written it.

Do you really opine that taking the shine off a nose in post is all that different from doing it with makeup? Or that selecting Portra instead of Velvia is less "modifying" than adjusting white balance in post?

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 4:13:45 PM3/11/09

Just look at the photo I took of Peter Figen, she can definitely make
the cover of vogue!

How did Peter make you look so good, Wade?
:)
;)

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 4:28:45 PM3/11/09
Well I don't know Peter's secret!

Laurenti...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 6:36:20 PM3/11/09
ceci n'est pas une top model : )

Silkr...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 8:11:17 PM3/11/09
I can see Wade's point. It's the same as a woman putting on makeup. Most women don't even need any, some may need just enough to cover the defect that they think they have. But it is also possible to put on way too much makeup making the woman look horrible.
Touch up on a photo can do the same thing. Especially if the person doing the touch up, does not know when to stop.
I don't know about you guys, but i would take a bare faced woman over a clown any day. :)

Ozp...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 8:28:30 PM3/11/09
The problem with retouching a portrait perhaps arises when the subject finds that what you have done emphasises, to them, the original flaw - until you remove or reduce it, they might not have been particularly aware of it, but your implied 'criticism' of the flaw can then heighten their awareness of it.

In other cases, they might well be grateful. Perhaps it's a matter of what and how much, and individual judgment of particular cases rather than a hard and fast rule.

For me, I am who I am, warts and all.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 8:39:26 PM3/11/09
The problem with professional portraiture is that the "Product" and the "Client" are one and the same.

Danger: Explosive mixture — proceed with all due caution ….

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 10:03:14 PM3/11/09
Well there is another focus to take and many people concentrate on the method I might focus on and that is t simPly establish a relationship and rapport withe the subject and you and using that to bridge the gap for the subject to work with the camera by handing over control to the photographer and letting the camera do its work.

We often hear that the photographer employed rock music to put the subject in a receptive mood. I think that would b good in certain circumstances but it is better to get the subject on your side and have the subject learn to trust you. This way it is not the mood of the music but the relationship of to real living things, the photographer and subject I feel one would get to see the subject at its best this way through the photographic media.

Of course in Mr. Oz' case, it does sound a bit hopeless.