5D Mk2 mov file conversion

A_K...@adobeforums.com

Jan 15, 2009, 12:12:09 PM1/15/09
Who better than you guys to give me advice on this subject?

I need to convert these mov files, to burn them to a DVD for playing.

I did a search on the net, and it's overwhelming on all the converters, with every example claiming to be the best, until you read some of the pros/cons.

Can someone who has experience with these conversions give me some suggestions?

Does the conversion degrade the video?

Thanks.

Al

Ozp...@adobeforums.com

Jan 17, 2009, 5:27:25 AM1/17/09
Hmmm. You might get a response here, but I'm wondering whether the more video-savvy people in the Premiere Elements forums might have some views on this. There's some very knowledgeable people there, who none the less have their feet on the ground when it comes to non-pro videography.

L...@adobeforums.com

Jan 17, 2009, 8:32:38 AM1/17/09
I use Flash for the conversions I need, but generally my conversions have to do with a file destined for a website.

Silkr...@adobeforums.com

Jan 18, 2009, 12:05:10 AM1/18/09
Well, I thought someone with knowledge of this camera would respond. The mov file type is quicktime. Depending on the codec(compression/decompression) used will determine how much quality loss you will get when converting to DVD.
The thing I did not know about this camera was the resolution of the video. I have heard some camera's are going to HD. If it is and you want to keep that quality, then you will be playing a whole other ballgame then just putting the video on a DVD as DVD's can not output HD.
To stay with HD you need to convert to Blueray. Which will require a blueray burner.

However if it is standard definition (720x480 or lower) then majority of the video editors should be able import the mov file and burn to a dvd. Also take a look at specific DVD burning software such as nero or windvd. Both cost money, which was something else I wasn't sure about when you asked. Where you looking for something free or willing to pay?
For free software take a look at download.com and do a search for DVD authoring.
For software that can handle both SD and HD, you may want to look at Adobe's Premiere. It come with Encore now which it a DVD authoring program.

Laurenti...@adobeforums.com

Jan 18, 2009, 11:53:59 AM1/18/09
"To stay with HD you need to convert to Blueray."
No.
If you're on the Mac, try iMovie HD.
(you can burn [share] to email, CD, DVD, youTube, iWeb…)

Silkr...@adobeforums.com

Jan 18, 2009, 10:52:18 PM1/18/09
I mentioned Bluray to keep the conversation as simple as possible. Yes of course there are several HD formats available WMV, MP4, MP2, etc. However if you want to play back on a TV odds are you want it to be Blueray ready.

A_K...@adobeforums.com

Jan 19, 2009, 12:25:25 PM1/19/09
I'm not running a Mac. I found a program to convert the mov file, but it will end up as an mpeg, which allows me to watch it from a DVD player, but the quality goes the way you'd expect.

Looks like I'll be going to Blueray.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jan 19, 2009, 12:29:04 PM1/19/09
I have just bought LaCie's LaCinema Premier 1 TB USB 2.0 Multimedia Hard Drive which supposedly will let me play images, music and movies directly through any TV both HD and regular.

It also provides me with another 1TB of portable storage space.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to try it out as yet — basically because LaCie are too miserly to include the essential "Component Video/Audio Cable" — and you don't discover that until you have opened the box!

[I don't actually even possess a HDTV but fortunately my friends and family do.]

Silkr...@adobeforums.com

Jan 19, 2009, 7:58:06 PM1/19/09
I was thinking late last night about other options to blueray and amazon does have multimedia players that connect to a tv. Some are wireless others use a flash drive but they seam to be able to play most file formats including those for HD. Its cheaper than blueray or at least for the time being as the blueray players are dropping fast. I have seeing a drop in the burners as well.
But for any HD videos you want to archive, then I think blueray is still the best choice.

PSh...@adobeforums.com

Jan 20, 2009, 6:07:17 AM1/20/09

I found a program to convert the mov file, but it will end up as an mpeg,
which allows me to watch it from a DVD player, but the quality goes the
way you'd expect.

If the resulting quality is bad, it's because of the compression and/or codec used, not necessarily because it's on a DVD disc.

The only difference between a regular DVD and Blu-ray is amount of storage they can contain (and drive compatibility, of course). A regular, run of the mill DVD is fully capable of running HD - as long as the video file size is small enough to fit on the disc.

"HD" is considered High Definition because of the image resolution (either 1280x720 or 1920x1080), not because of the format or whether or not it's on Blu-ray disc. The only reason HD feature films are on Blu-ray is because the files are too large to fit on a regular DVD or even DL DVD discs. Likewise, if your footage is too long, and a quality conversion makes the file size too large, your only option would be Blu-ray.

If you were on a Mac, I'd say to use iMovie, Final Cut Express or even FC Pro and choose one of the HD options but I can't help with a PC. (not that I'm all that experienced with video anyway)

-phil

Silkr...@adobeforums.com

Jan 20, 2009, 7:11:48 PM1/20/09
The problem with normal DVD players is that they do not output HD. I have not seen the quality of the newer DVD players that do have component or HDMI connectors. Which would be required to connect to a TV for HD. I know some are now capable of upsampling to HD but I have not heard of any that can play HD.