D700 crop factor

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 8:46:14 PM3/10/09
Was wondering if any of you could explain why the file size is reduced when using a dx lens on a full frame camera? I guess i assumed the dx lenses would lose part of the field of view,but what was left would use the full sensor. I am mistaken i guess, but need to know going forward.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 8:52:44 PM3/10/09
A lens actually creates a circular image (which falls off considerably towards the perimeter) so we only arrange things so that we use the good part of the image.

A DX lens covers a much smaller circle than one designed to cover a Full-sizes frame (which you have on a D700). If you use a DX lens you need to use it on a a DX-sized frame.

Perhaps the D700 sets that automatically if you insert a DX lens?

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 9:26:25 PM3/10/09
You get a crop frame in the viewfinder, but i assumed the image actually filled the sensor, and still took advantage of all the pixels, but with less lens coverage. i saw my frame counter actually change its count with the dx lens attached,but did not immediately make the connection.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 9:41:28 PM3/10/09
I just checked my D3 manual and the default seems to be that the camera will automatically crop to the DX format when a DX lens is mounted but you can change that behaviour in the menus by choosing:

Auto DX Crop: Off

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 9:53:33 PM3/10/09
I think that just means the camera will either show you the crop frame or hide it.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 10:09:50 PM3/10/09
I assume that it means that your recorded image gets cropped to the smaller DX size (2784px x 1848px) instead of the FX Format 4256px x 2832px).

I don't possess any DX lenses but the best way to find out would be to take some test shots and see what you get

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 10:15:11 PM3/10/09
Yes i guess i will. i had to use a work lens on my camera, so i was stuck with it.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 10:22:40 PM3/10/09
When I mounted a Pentax DA lens (a 1.5 crop digital lens) on a 35mm film camera, I actually got a circle, or mostly a circle, as in a case of severe vignetting. I'll be very curious to hear what you get. :)

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 10, 2009, 11:51:08 PM3/10/09
Turn the DX crop off as Ann mentions, Donald, and the result of using a DX lens on a full-frame camera will be immediately obvious and why the crop actually crops off the edges of the FX sensor. Turning the crop off does more than switching off the outline in the viewfinder.

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 6:21:30 PM3/11/09
Hate to break topic here, couldn't remember what thread I saw this in.

Donald, was it you that mentioned a few weeks ago about a 1 terabyte hard drive you found---I think at Target---for less than $100.

Was it Target?
What was the price?
Was that a special sale do you know?
What brand?

Thanks. Sorry for the hijacking of the thread.

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 7:28:36 PM3/11/09
Shep, i think the one i mentioned was a 750 gig maxtor for 139 as i recall. thats the one I got anyway

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 9:00:32 PM3/11/09
I could have sworn someone mentioned a 1 TB drive for around $100...ah, well.

Did you get it at Target, Donald?

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 9:06:01 PM3/11/09
Yes i did, and i seem to recall someone getting something bigger as well. it was around the holidays,so they were dealing on items.

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 9:17:43 PM3/11/09
Thanks. I must've mis-read or mis-remembered something.
%(

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 9:51:15 PM3/11/09
You could have gotten and external 1 TB seagate for I think it was $129 I got one that is specially geared to the Mac that is 1.5 TB and cost like $229.00 from Seagate. Internal version cost $169.00

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Mar 11, 2009, 11:20:30 PM3/11/09
If there's a Fry's near you, keep looking at their newspaper supplements, Their web prices are different and local offers are not reflected there.

John Joslin

Mar 12, 2009, 4:14:45 AM3/12/09
Just google "terabyte drive" and then look under Shopping Results.

You can sort from low to high or select a price bracket.

I tend to do this before any purchase to avoid kicking myself later. ;)