Re: Where were you? (part four)

1 view

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

May 6, 2008, 5:29:56 PM5/6/08

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

May 6, 2008, 7:09:51 PM5/6/08
Heh, heh, nice Photoshopping, John.

Sun on sand in England, indeed.... ;-)

John Joslin

May 6, 2008, 6:22:24 PM5/6/08

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2008, 5:21:36 PM5/11/08
:D

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2008, 11:11:53 AM5/11/08
Wade never misses a chance for self aggrandizement!

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2008, 8:14:14 PM5/11/08
XD

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2008, 2:11:46 PM5/11/08

John Joslin

May 11, 2008, 3:41:26 AM5/11/08
I would be pleased with that too, Shep. :)

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2008, 1:52:25 AM5/11/08
See Shep that is why I say that you see it and others don't, doesn't matter what you shoot with you understand the subject and get what you have to get out of it and and in the way you have to, this is a subject you really understand and see things in that very few would see.

Not on the same level as this wonderful image you just posted but and interesting sight to see. This has been done to death but it is good to have your own version in the archives.

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1prSb0C2gyH8oQlM6mLioBr3bvccz>

This was shot with my D3.

-sh...@adobeforums.com

May 10, 2008, 10:59:47 PM5/10/08
Just a quick snap taken outside a Chinese restaurant with an old pocket Nikon digicam.
<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1e35e0ZtB6i5T46JkuAc7czbWrMUj1>

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2008, 9:55:31 PM5/11/08
Strange folk, indeed!

Very Strange.

I have been given the opportunity of leaving the U.S. for an exciting opportunity
this means no more Forum, it would not be appropriate. Well maybe the Illustrator Forum is OK.

Ciao

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2008, 10:05:09 PM5/11/08
Ta ta. I'm excited for you.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

May 11, 2008, 11:10:48 PM5/11/08
Well Thank you and and ta ta to you as well.

Keep on trucking!

Ha!

john_pa...@adobeforums.com

May 12, 2008, 8:56:52 AM5/12/08
I didn't know they had restarted the Draft!
John Passaneau

John Joslin

May 12, 2008, 6:28:48 AM5/12/08
It won't be the same without you!

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

May 13, 2008, 4:12:58 PM5/13/08
A link to the Statue of Liberty and others like it:

<http://www.hammergallery.com/images/peoplepictures/people%20pictures.htm>

L...@adobeforums.com

May 13, 2008, 4:26:13 PM5/13/08
Thank you Larry. These are fascinating. I added the link to our Guild's website.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 12:46:02 AM5/14/08
These are a few of the photographs which I took last October in Dujiangyan, Sichuan which was at the Epicenter of yesterday's tragic 7.9 earthquake.

<http://shelbourne-america.net/forum/DujiangyanGallery/index.html>

I don't imagine that anything that is shown in these pictures has survived but this is the site of an incredible irrigation system that was built in 256 BC to divert a major river into a new channel in order to provide crop-irrigation and control flooding on this Yangtse tributary.

The Dujiangyan Irrigation System was still working after more than 2,000 years — until yesterday.

Dujiangyan has been designated as a "World Heritage Site" by the UN.

More info. for those that are interested is given here:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dujiangyan_Irrigation_System>
and
<http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/sichuan/chengdu/dujiangyan.htm>

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 1:26:42 AM5/14/08
I fear that we have only heard the beginning of the bad news so far: the loss of human life is going to be horrendous.

Rescuers can't get through to much of the area at all yet because huge rock-falls have buried the roads through the mountains and, almost certainly, any traffic that was passing through at the time.

The Panda Research Station at Wolong is only about sixty miles west of Dujiangyan but hopefully, as the pandas (some 80 of them) would have been outside at the time, they should be all right.

Sichuan is one of the most beautiful places on earth, with an ancient culture and fabulous treasures, and this catastrophe is heart-wrenching.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 11:30:54 AM5/14/08
The problem is going to be getting supplies through to them though because they get through literally truckfulls of freshly-cut Arrow Bamboo daily.

Concerning Dujiangyan:

HANWANG, China (AP) - Thousands of Chinese soldiers rushed on Wednesday
to repair a dam badly cracked by the country's massive earthquake, while
rescuers arrived for the first time in the epicenter of the disaster.
China's top economic planning body said that the quake had damaged 391
mostly small dams. It left "extremely dangerous" cracks in the Zipingpu
Dam upriver from the earthquake-hit city of Dujiangyan and some 2,000
soldiers were sent to repair the damage, the official Xinhua News Agency
said. Xinhua said Dujiangyan would be "swamped" if major problems emerged
at the dam.

<http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080514/D90LFR6G0.html>

Ci...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 11:03:32 AM5/14/08

but hopefully, as the pandas (some 80 of them) would have been outside
at the time, they should be all right.

I heard on the news last night that the Research Station was viewed by Satellite and they could see the Pandas were o.k..

L...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 1:08:18 AM5/14/08
Ann,

Your photos are wonderful.

So tragic about the earthquake. It didn't register that is right where you were last year until you said something. I heard something on the news but didn't get the full report. I had no idea how serious this quake was and how many people were killed. Very sad.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 7:31:50 PM5/14/08
Sechuan certainly IS a photographic gold mine — or it was until last Tuesday.

It's ancient buildings, truly glorious landscapes and attractive friendly people are truly special.

And it is an absolute treasure house of wonderful ancient artwork of all kinds — with more being discovered and excavated all the time.

The location of numerous ancient tombs are known and await excavation and we can only hope that these treasures (like the 3,500 year-old jades and gold pieces from the Shu Kingdom which are in the magnificent new Sanxingdui Museum only about 30 miles from Chengdu} have survived the 'quake.

Then there is the last remaining giant Buddah (since the Taliban blew-up the ones in Afghanistan) which is 200 feet high and is carved out of a cliff at Leshan which is only about 60 miles away from the epicenter of this quake.

I will try to find time to post more pictures of this region for you.

Donald...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 6:24:03 PM5/14/08
That region certainly looks like a photography gold mine. nice shots.

-sh...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 7:32:03 PM5/14/08

Where were you?

No place special. Just stuff noticed in the normal course of a day's travels.

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1oei0i0VjDqEu6r7nI1opPWdjZ5mE0>

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=13lw2XrRGfhG6m0I6tcqt257Fw9pv21>

L...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 7:47:12 PM5/14/08
Looks like you're having beautiful weather Shep.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

May 15, 2008, 2:42:29 AM5/15/08
Your lens has a pixelated spot. :D

Just kidding, of course. :) Very nice, well-lit shot.

L...@adobeforums.com

May 15, 2008, 9:49:43 AM5/15/08

Oh, and just so y'all know, I *do* shoot things besides rocks, restaurants
and roads.

LOL! I'm so glad to know this.

Your ballerina is lovely Shep. You do nice work.

-sh...@adobeforums.com

May 15, 2008, 12:44:15 AM5/15/08
Yeah, they say we might actually have a summer, Linda.

Oh, and just so y'all know, I *do* shoot things besides rocks, restaurants and roads.

:)
<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1sgxA54BZvdL5wM89GGXnEKjtlPu2>

John_Co...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 3:37:10 PM7/7/08
Are you referring to the composite of the bridge and fireworks from last year...

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/cornicello/728705211/>

John

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 9:01:31 PM7/7/08
Beautiful shot, John!

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 2:59:38 PM7/7/08
A beautiful shot John _ and a clever composite.

What is also great is that John kept his EXIF data attached to his file so that others can learn from the techniques that he employed.

I am trying to do that too because I think that it is probably interesting and instructive for other photographers.

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 2:28:45 PM7/7/08
Hey John. That's cool. I like how it tells more of a story with the people silhouetted off center to the lower right. The fireworks are amazing. I think it's a powerful image.

Linda

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 3:56:07 PM7/7/08
No, your new shot.

Or is it not a composite after all?

(I guessed that the people in the foreground might have been added from a different shot but perhaps I am wrong?)

John_Co...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 12:44:09 PM7/7/08
Some fireworks from the other side of the country...
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/cornicello/2639884876/>

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 4:41:12 PM7/7/08
JC, you da bomb on fireworks! (pun intended)

mr...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 5:18:20 PM7/7/08
Very nice!!

John_Co...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 5:02:42 PM7/7/08
The new one is one shot, not a composite. I do have a crop of just the people on my Flickr site, so that might have been confusing.

Ci...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 4:00:15 PM7/7/08
Both of those are cool shots John.

Hop...@adobeforums.com

Jul 8, 2008, 6:45:23 AM7/8/08
John,
bravo!

:D

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jul 7, 2008, 10:51:38 PM7/7/08
It's a grand shot John — I just assumed that it was a skillfully-done composite because the people seemed to have stood so still during the long exposure!

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Jul 8, 2008, 4:42:29 PM7/8/08
Oh Yeah! What's so good about it?

Ooooo...that really is excellent!

For Ann you know in photography like any other creatice form of expression I think it is important to judge the result and not how you got there and what would be good to experient with would be the multiple exposure feature of the D3 especially with this type of subject.

I don't know what John did to bring about this result but it would be of little importance if you look att he image;

I have on occasion captured multipe exposed images of fireworks and think that it often expresses the true nature of the event better then the singularly exposed composition as fireworks is about a sequence of rapidly fired happenings.

Your images are more powerful and john is more total in its expression.

Which is interesting that equally expressive communications can differ in their approach yet y-eild a very similar pact on the viewer.

It would interesting to see composit images made by teams of two or three or four of the contributors or others that wonder on to the forum.

It wouod fun to see...after all we all get along well enough to pull this off.

Oh yeah the fighting and all that...I guess that would be fun as well!

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

Jul 9, 2008, 12:28:20 AM7/9/08
All you need to know is the camera was faithfully used, to paraphrase Minor White a bit.

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 11, 2008, 5:56:25 PM7/11/08
Hey, nice one, Linda!

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 11, 2008, 5:04:42 PM7/11/08

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 11, 2008, 6:01:42 PM7/11/08
Thank you Fred! This is why I bought the 100-400 a while back. So glad John C. recommended it. It has served me well with the wild life around us.

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 11, 2008, 8:09:11 PM7/11/08
Thank you Nick.

He comes around almost every night before dark. Last night I prepared for him in advance. I opened the LR window, set my 5D on a tripod with a long lens, then closed the blinds to where there was enough room to shoot through the open window. I turned the TV on so there would be steady noise to diffuse any sounds I might make with the camera. I was lucky enough to get several good pictures of him.

This is the original from which the above enhanced crop came from.

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1lXQGyBGg4WeZQy9sf2cgI8s3f>

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 11, 2008, 6:23:24 PM7/11/08
My humble thanks Hopper. :-) I'm sure that it will not appeal to everyone, as what is done (or not done) to a photo, and how much of it, is subjective. I tend to get carried away, to the point where I feel I can connect with the subject. The original shot is a little less dramatic.

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 11, 2008, 7:41:40 PM7/11/08

I'm sure that it will not appeal to everyone, as what is done (or not
done) to a photo, and how much of it, is subjective.

Agreed, Linda, but it's a beautiful photo. A little heavy on the edge darkening for my taste, but that's the subjective part. A great expression on his/her face! Kinda reminds me of my cat, Lucy.

Hop...@adobeforums.com

Jul 11, 2008, 6:16:07 PM7/11/08
dang Linda, you do really nice work! :D

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 12, 2008, 1:16:14 PM7/12/08
Hi Hopper. I just sent you an email.

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 12, 2008, 11:05:11 AM7/12/08
Well, shooting wildlife from your living room is certainly convenient!

8)

Hop...@adobeforums.com

Jul 12, 2008, 11:55:33 AM7/12/08
Linda,
how much property do you guys have? Around my parts, if you get a 1/2 acre lot, you're doing good! My golden retriever friend has 40 acres, but we've got the larger 1/2 acre. There are many homes in this area with lot sizes under 1/4 acre.

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

Jul 12, 2008, 4:45:13 PM7/12/08
50'x100'

No 1/4/acre here!

I did some checking on Sigma with Pro Photo. They do not carry them, siting backwards compatibility issues on focusing systems.

??? Tokina doesn't? They carry Tokina.

Ooops! wrong thread! :D

bonniej

Jul 12, 2008, 7:29:32 PM7/12/08
I was at a Phillies game last night... the one that went into extra innings until Philadelphia finally beat the Diamondbacks..LOL

Anyway.. here in Philadelphia the celebrations for the 4th of July lasts ALL month long.. so after the game they had fireworks at the stadium... a wonderful display. So here are a few from my vantage point along the first base line (27th row)

Nikon D3
ISO 1600
Nikon 16mm fisheye at f3.5
1/5 sec HANDHELD

Nikon D300
ISO 1600
(my sons) Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 at 56mm f5.6
1/60 sec HANDHELD

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Jul 12, 2008, 5:50:30 PM7/12/08
I was just talking to a young man who says that his great great grandfather was the inventor of the Lieca, his mothers maiden name is Leitz.

Never knàow who you run into!

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 13, 2008, 12:17:59 AM7/13/08
Those are great Bonnie. I especially like the composition of the first one.

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Jul 13, 2008, 10:36:55 AM7/13/08
Great fox shot linda. i like the wider shot as well.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jul 13, 2008, 5:25:07 PM7/13/08
I too prefer the "unenhanced" version.
These are wonderful photographs and can stand on their own merits.

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 13, 2008, 2:34:50 PM7/13/08
Thanks D.

bonniej

Jul 14, 2008, 10:01:41 AM7/14/08
Thanks Linda!!

I missed your fox posting... lovely images. I do prefer the "unenhanced version" where he looks like a fox in the wild. We used to get these types of critters around here quite often until they started building up around us.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Jul 14, 2008, 4:09:02 PM7/14/08
So they are having fireworks in about an hour here in Paris it is their national day!

I think they are celebration theur Independence from the United States thqat they won in the War of 1812 or was it the Spanish American War?

Any way they are going to have fireworks, maybe I will try it.

IT wuill be near the Eiffel Tower...didn't theu U.S. give them that as a gift!

Not really good at history but they are having fireworks.

Cheers!

John Joslin

Jul 14, 2008, 5:03:32 PM7/14/08
And the the French gave the Statue of Liberty to the USA in 1886!

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jul 14, 2008, 4:16:30 PM7/14/08
Quatorze Juillet or "Bastille Day", Wade!

[Absolutely NOTHING to do with the U.S.A.]

But enjoy the fireworks anyway.

-------

Regarding the Eiffel Tower:

The structure was built between 1887 and 1889 as the entrance arch for
the Exposition Universelle, a World's Fair marking the centennial celebration
of the French Revolution. Eiffel originally planned to build the tower
in Barcelona, for the Universal Exposition of 1888, but those responsible
at the Barcelona city hall thought it was a strange and expensive construction,
which did not fit into the design of the city. After the refusal of the
Consistory of Barcelona, Eiffel submitted his draft to those responsible
for the Universal Exhibition in Paris, where he would build his tower
a year later, in 1889.

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 2:04:37 AM7/15/08
Défaite? Quelle défaite?

Rick_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 14, 2008, 6:53:39 PM7/14/08

And the the French gave the Statue of Liberty to the USA in 1886!

Yes, and the internal structure of the Statue of Liberty was designed by... Alexandre Eiffel. The actual statue was sculpted by -- er -- somebody else.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Jul 14, 2008, 10:02:16 PM7/14/08
Hehehe… I don't think the French like to remember--let alone celebrate--the crushing defeat of Napoleon in 1812 at the hands of the Russians. :D

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 14, 2008, 7:20:45 PM7/14/08
What Ann said, Wade. Bastille Day is better described as Republic Day than Independence Day, identified as the day the people took control from the monarchy. The French were already an independent power.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 2:33:39 AM7/15/08
I was kind of joking! But I am not the most knowledgeable peson as to history!

Well it was a huge to mistake to try to go tere the crowd was impossible. If the crowd moved you moved as well the metro was a night mare but I waited for a completely empty train I was given the wrtong instructioon as to an alternative Metro stop for my return trip, which turned out to be better then the one I had planned on in the first place.

There was only about a dozen pezople waiting for the train.

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 2:56:37 PM7/15/08

Now that you have got your garden looking like that, perhaps you could
come over here and do the same thing to mine?

Mine too! You should be proud of that garden John. Very pretty.

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 3:07:38 PM7/15/08
Nice one, John.

I, too, have a G9, and while the pano function is handy, they forgot to include the format that I use most often - a series of vertical shots to stitch together. That, and as you mentioned, you have to shoot JPG to use it.

John Joslin

Jul 15, 2008, 2:31:30 PM7/15/08
I realised I had never tried my G9's panorama mode so I went out into the garden and shot these 6 JPG pictures. It seems to switch to JPG for Pano mode.

This is a 316MB file reduced to 576KB for the web.

<http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gardenpanoramasmallcc8.jpg>

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 2:38:11 PM7/15/08
The panorama tells the tale.

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 4:55:56 PM7/15/08
I remember you having a lovely garden, and it looks great again. i am battling japanese beatles myself right now.

bonniej

Jul 20, 2008, 2:36:18 PM7/20/08
This past week we were in Vermont.. on the way back home we boarded Pete Seeger's sloop the Clearwater, and sailed on the Hudson River for about 3 hours... it was a beautiful evening. And the kids got a lesson not only in sailing, but about making a difference in making a cleaner world <http://www.clearwater.org/about.html>

These were taken with my D3 & a 16mm fisheye (and even with a fish eye I could not get all 106 feet in the frame :)

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 20, 2008, 3:02:59 PM7/20/08
Wonderful Bonnie. The fisheye seems to be a fun lens.

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Jul 22, 2008, 1:43:46 PM7/22/08
This might be of interest to some. The Dome des Invalides Paris.

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1QP6xfSnqE2hzixC7VBJTHNXchXS9o0>

Wade_Zi...@adobeforums.com

Jul 22, 2008, 2:00:42 PM7/22/08
Also a little boy watching Fireworks Bastille Day Paris France

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1E9T3KtrzoRaP8lD2t2og32k7StH1>

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 24, 2008, 11:40:38 PM7/24/08
A series in the holding shed during mid-winter shearing this week, followed by a picture symbolic of the drought that's crippling the place at the moment. (Many of the sheep here are dead now - it was a case of getting the wool off their backs for some return rather than make a 100% loss - even the shearers themselves commented on the cruelty yet unavoidability of this. Every job has its hard days, I guess.)

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1R2ASqVPx1E9iXLB90tHnzuwMg6R1>

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Um8KqFRf9kvT29kvn0TbKQvtS76N1>

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1yIO5qr2RBU8UcSuVKnMAVMsMiinD>

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1EYmF2WxH8rCUnr13QipjRybcVsN>

At last, a digital camera that can take pictures in a dark shed without flash and give the gritty visual appearance natively of good ol' Tri-X (though I did have to sharpen the "grain" a bit to complete the effect)...

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 24, 2008, 11:45:39 PM7/24/08
I'm sorry to hear about the draught Fred. So sad about the sheep.

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jul 25, 2008, 12:01:54 AM7/25/08
How dreadful that the devastating drought has continued right into the winter — your last picture tells it all.

But this series of photographs is another example of the amazing high ISO performance of the D3 — flash would have been totally useless for impromptu shooting in that barn.

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Jul 25, 2008, 12:26:57 AM7/25/08

At last, a digital camera that can take pictures in a dark shed without

flash and natively give the gritty visual appearance of good ol' Tri-X

(though I did have to sharpen the "grain" a bit to complete the effect)...

If you really want the grit and sharp grain, Fred, stick your flash card in a tank of Rodinal before you download your pics.
;)

Fred_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 25, 2008, 12:53:01 AM7/25/08
This is year 5 of the drought, Ann. I didn't post the picture of the shorn sheep - it might have distressed some people here.
Pics were shot at ISO 2500 & 3200 in the shed. I like this D3 thing more and more every time I use it.

Cards had 9 minutes in Rodinal 1:9 @ 68º, shep. XD (and I thought you'd like the dog - she's only a "bitser", but is one of the smartest and most intuitive sheep dogs I've yet seen. She's only a year or so old but responds instantly to the merest of hand-signals. There's no real need to whistle her up.)

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Jul 25, 2008, 10:05:31 PM7/25/08
Fellow forum members, lend me your ear.
8)

I think I posted this here last year, but it's worth a re-post for this announcement.

"IT'S OFFICIAL": Farmstand down the road has fresh corn-on-the-cob right from their fields---a month or so of bliss.
:) :) :) :) :)

Can't wait 'til the tomatos are ready.

<http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=19BiiyJjKVBigjz0V9yig2o2qE1O>

L...@adobeforums.com

Jul 25, 2008, 10:27:04 PM7/25/08
Very nice image Shep.

Shall we all guess the age of the person holding the corn?

I say 37.

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Jul 25, 2008, 11:58:03 PM7/25/08
I told you before you cannot match the corn we have here in good old amish country, but you fail to concede. just had four ears for supper,with fresh peaches no less. for the ultimate ,try a corn roast using burlap ,with corn still in the husk.

Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com

Jul 26, 2008, 2:40:07 AM7/26/08
You may not be aware of this, but of all digestible proteins, zaine, the one contained in corn has the least nutritional value.

No other ingredient will ruin a chocolate like corn syrup.

I'll take the photographs instead. :)

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Jul 26, 2008, 11:38:50 AM7/26/08
Thanks, Linda. Somewhere between 37 and 73. Shoulda' been a hand model, eh? ;)

Yeah, I'd like to try the corn up your way Donald. Generally I think the Midwest is well known for it's great corn---Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, etal. Had two ears of corn myself last night...first of the season. Pretty good, but I don't think it's quite reached it's peak.

I didn't know the particulars Ramón, but I *did* know that as far as vegetables go, corn is low on the scale of which ones are good for you, but it tastes so good. (Same thing with Pop Tarts™, I don't eat 'em for the nutritional value.) :) If you look at many of the (lower priced) dog foods, you'll see corn as the main ingredient. Hmmm...maybe when corn season ends I could try...no-o-o, maybe not.

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

Jul 26, 2008, 11:45:13 AM7/26/08
Let 'em drink ethanol! :D

-sh...@adobeforums.com

Jul 26, 2008, 11:56:36 AM7/26/08
Yeah, I tried putting some dog food in my gas tank, but the engine keeps pawsing and making this growling sound.

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

Jul 26, 2008, 12:34:56 PM7/26/08
This tread has been alive for 3+ years....

Ann_She...@adobeforums.com

Jul 27, 2008, 11:31:08 PM7/27/08
It owes its longevity to the fact that it is free of Corn Syrup.

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Sep 6, 2008, 10:08:48 AM9/6/08

No, you need an eye. You found a nice aquarium and an extraordinary camera,
but you still need an eye.

Ann, in re-reading my post, I should have said, "One needs an eye."

Just didn't want you to interpret it as me saying that you didn't have a good eye. :)

L...@adobeforums.com

Sep 6, 2008, 10:23:49 AM9/6/08
This is no big deal, but it's something I think about from time to time and wonder how others feel about it. I know that I probably go overboard with some of this stuff, but just curious what some of you feel about complements and responses.

When someone complements someone else's work and that person does not respond, whereas it is not a problem, it does seem to put a damper on future complements.

It makes the one who pays the complement feel as if…

(1) They are either not sincere, or…

(2) That person is not valued enough to deserve a response, or…

(3) The one whose work has been complemented feels as if they are so good that complements are routine and go without saying.

Of course there's always…

(4) The person receiving a complement overlooked it due to being preoccupied.

I fear I've been guilty of (4), probably more often than I realize.

And I would be amiss if I didn't mention another possibility…

(5) The person being complemented is embarrassed and has a hard time receiving complements. I have a couple of friends who struggle with this one. When I complement them, they often then begin to badmouth themselves. I often will give them a big smile, maybe even a hug, and then say, "Repeat after me... 'Why Thank You!'" It's amazing how that has helped them see the value in not only being able to "give" praise but also to graciously "receive" praise with a simple, "Thank You!" :-)

Just my humble thoughts on the matter. I would love to hear some of yours.

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

Sep 6, 2008, 9:58:24 AM9/6/08
"Your camera takes better pictures than you do"
-Minor White

It certainly doesn't take worse!

Well, I'm off to the beach, Manzanita, to be exact.

Hop...@adobeforums.com

Sep 6, 2008, 8:05:14 AM9/6/08
"wow, that's a really nice camera you have ... bet it takes *great* pictures" ...

;)

L...@adobeforums.com

Sep 6, 2008, 12:42:19 PM9/6/08

But if you are going to have much type in your pages, call Asuka and tell
them that you would prefer to submit PDFs … and see if they will agree
to accept them.

Asuka is pretty set on how they want you to do things, or at least they were when I did my book.

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Sep 6, 2008, 11:02:51 AM9/6/08
I can say i fall into the category of not accepting compliments very well. in person i try to say thank you,but many times i downplay an image as if anyone could have done the same, and then later think, why do i did i act that way. i always thought its better to be more humble than boastful, because there are always those better who can shut you up if you get to sure of yourself. i try to respond to most here,but i may miss a response if i am not thinking sometimes. i figure if someone is nice enough to take time to offer their views,then a response is nice.

I find that i let other peoples opinions affect me when it comes to my images. as an example,i did a shot of a trolley for a bus company the other night,and i was very proud of my result. she calls me and says ''awesome'', and then as we talk more,she asks if i have a less photoshopped version? well my heart sinks and i start thinking how incompetent i was etc etc. i let it bother me all day, till i got home and revisited the shot,and thought why on earth did i saturate the thing so much. her comment was it would be amazing as a poster or postcard,but for the website they need something more subdued. i definitely need to get better at listening to suggestions from paying clients and try to leave my creative side on the sideline.

Lawrenc...@adobeforums.com

Sep 6, 2008, 1:08:27 PM9/6/08
You have the eye, Ann.

At the moment, you seem to be doing what most of us do with new equipment, especially in a epoch changing situation...image collecting!

That's fun, and it gives a chance to apply all you have learned up to that time. If only for that reason, changing gear has it's opportunity. For me, it was a decisive move away from square, and that was/is huge.

Donald...@adobeforums.com

Sep 6, 2008, 2:04:20 PM9/6/08
I totally agree hopper. the lady who asked about the trolley shot, first acknowledged how much effort i had put forth and then gently asked abut revisions. her approach and tact helped enormously with my reaction and ensuing effort to give alternatives to her.
It is loading more messages.