InDesign CS4 Freezes

bobgr...@adobeforums.com

Dec 17, 2008, 8:12:51 PM12/17/08
I have a 95 page book, that I began in Indesign CS3 and then saved as CS4.
Each time I initially open this file now, CS4 conpletely loads it, verifies the links, and then propmptly freezes up. After closing IDCS4 in Task Manager, I reopen IDCS4, and then open the same file, and all is well.
Its just on the first time each day when I open the file that I get the freeze up. Very repeatable and very strange. HAs anyone else experience this?

Win Vista 64 Ultimate.
8GB Ram
NVidia Quaddro FX4400

All of my other software behaves fine:
CorelDraw X4
AICS4
PSCS4
AutoCad 2009
Solidworks

Thanks,

Bob

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Dec 17, 2008, 9:52:57 PM12/17/08
try turning off live preflight and see if that makes a difference.

bobgr...@adobeforums.com

Dec 17, 2008, 10:03:15 PM12/17/08
Yes, I tried that before, WIndow/Output/Prelight, uncheck "ON" box, but it comes right back on every time I open any document. If that is the culprit, it is definitely ill behaved.

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Dec 18, 2008, 7:15:17 AM12/18/08
Go to the preflight panel menu itself and uncheck "enable preflight for all documents."

bobgr...@adobeforums.com

Dec 18, 2008, 9:15:39 AM12/18/08
OK, I did that. No effect. IDCS4 still freezes up on first attempt of opening the file.

bobgr...@adobeforums.com

Dec 18, 2008, 9:26:04 AM12/18/08
One other tidbit of info which may be relative, on the first opening of the file, it forces me to relink all of the linked images and files. It can't seem to remember where the links are from day to day.
The link locations have not changed in over a year.

Thanks,

Bob

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Dec 18, 2008, 10:31:47 AM12/18/08
Are the links local or on a network?

simonwarner

Dec 18, 2008, 10:37:25 AM12/18/08
I was wundering sumthing similar...

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Dec 18, 2008, 10:53:39 AM12/18/08
Not, of course, that that would necessarily explain why closing and re-opening would make it work faster.

bobgr...@adobeforums.com

Dec 18, 2008, 7:09:37 PM12/18/08
Yes, it's on a network. I know that Acrobat Pro 9 won't work on a network which uses redirected drives, I wonder if IDCS4 has inherited some of the same network woes.

Peter, reopening the file doesn't make it run faster, it makes it work, period. The initial opening of the file results in a predictable IDCS4 freezeup hard crash.

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Dec 18, 2008, 7:25:33 PM12/18/08
I'd say opening was faster than crashing. :)

For fun, try copying a file and all the links to a local folder and see if that works any better. At least then we'd know if was network related.

Peter

bobgr...@adobeforums.com

Dec 20, 2008, 2:55:18 PM12/20/08
That's a good idea Peter, I will try that.

Bob

bobgr...@adobeforums.com

Dec 22, 2008, 9:32:11 AM12/22/08
No luck. Same freeze up and crash.
I have uninstalled IDCS4, getting a refund, and downgraded back to IDCS3 for now. No more issues.
What a shame. I guess newer is not always better.

Thanks,

Bob

Ella_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 15, 2009, 6:08:11 PM1/15/09
I have a brand new copy of InDesign CS4 that freezes upon creating a new document or opening a CS3 version document. This copy is on a new machine and has never worked. All other CS4 apps are fine.

I have run updates and repeated deleted all the InDesign preferences files.

I have Suitcase installed but have deleted the InDesign plug in and the Font Activation folder, I have also turned off Suitcase, turned off the Suitcase Core Engine and removed it as a startup item.

Console does not indicate a software conflict, except it shows McAfee VirusScan running

IT installed McAfee VirusScan on this machine. I do not know how to turn it off.

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Jan 15, 2009, 6:25:37 PM1/15/09
Ella,

When you try to create a new document do you get the document setup dialog?

Does InDesign show as running in Task Manager, or as Not Responding?

This could be another case of "invisible dialog" waiting for a response from you.

Peter

Ella_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 16, 2009, 12:40:40 PM1/16/09
Hi Peter,

I do get the dialog box.

I am not familiar with Task Manager, but InDesign is definitely running and does not freeze unitl I try to either create a new document or open an old one.

Ella

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Jan 16, 2009, 2:31:19 PM1/16/09
So you are able to set up the new doc in the dialog and say OK before it freezes? And InDesign doesn't disappear, right?

You can open task manager by right-clicking in the system tray in the taskbar. Choose task manager, and look at the "Applications" tab first. What is the status of InDesign, which should be listed there if it is running. If it's hung it will say "not responding."

Next place to look is in the Performance tab, where you'll see current CPU usage and a box called Commit Charge. If the CPU usage is at 100% and stays there, the processor is working on something, and that may be either interfering with ID, or it could indicate a malfunction in ID itself. In the Commit Charge box, if the "Peak" value is near or above the "Limit" value it is an indication that you need more memory to run all the stuff you have open.

Peter

mlaunatadobedotcom

Jan 26, 2009, 12:43:46 PM1/26/09
There is an issue right now where, on some Windows configurations, updates ran via AUM fail, which can leave components it was updating in a partially updated state. For the Adobe Drive and Services 1.0.1 update, this has produced cases where Version Cue related errors occur. Since InDesign uses VC libraries when opening files by default, try disabling it to see if it makes a difference. Un-check the option Preferences > File Handling > Enable Version Cue.

Roman_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 2, 2009, 11:27:07 PM4/2/09
Have a strange thing: 1 workstation with Pentium D CPU, 4 GB of memory and Server 2003 installed with 3 years uptime. InDesign work just fine. SAME workstation with SAME Server 2003, SAME tuning, settings, drivers etc. - just fresh install. Swith both system by restore or backup image of system drive. In second case InDesign freeze on 5-10 sec. on every 3 operation (apply styles on table for example) so it's completly unusable.

Don't know where dig up. Exept one: in working system InDesign use cpu-0 on 50% and cpu-1 on 10%. In second system InDesign use cpu-1 on 50% and cpu-0 on 10%. But in both system CPU affinity set on default, both cpu.

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Apr 3, 2009, 7:58:42 AM4/3/09
Is the hardware really identical on the two systems? Perhaps you've restored an incorrect driver?