Re: InDesign freezes (program is not responding)

Robert Tkaczyk

Mar 26, 2008, 7:22:20 AM3/26/08
did you installed all updates ?? to 5.0.2 ??

robin

--
www.adobescripts.com

Clive...@adobeforums.com

Mar 26, 2008, 7:12:14 AM3/26/08
IDCS3; Windows XP SP2; HP XW4400 Workstation; 2GB RAM; 193GB free disk space; NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 (128Mb) Video card.

Two problems, both causing IDCS3 to freeze and "program is not responding" message:

Problem 1. Using Adobe-Single-Line Composer; keeps to control widows and orphans set to 1 line (start), 2 lines (end): ID often freezes when importing Word docs containing formatted headings and text only (file sizes up to 350Kb). Tried saving as rtf, same problem. I would expect ID to leave short pages when it's unable to resolve widows and orphans using specified keeps. If file imports OK, same problem occurs when text edits affect H&J on subsequent pages. Only solution seems to be to deselect keep options and manually check and adjust headings, widows and orphans. NB. Adobe Paragraph Composer gives unacceptable results for the bookwork I do.

Problem 2. Same conditions as problem 1: entering forced line break after en or em dash causes ID to freeze "program is not responding" message.

Anybody any suggestions as to the causes or any solutions?

Clive...@adobeforums.com

Mar 26, 2008, 7:38:40 AM3/26/08
Yes, using version 5.0.2

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Mar 26, 2008, 8:42:16 AM3/26/08

Clive...@adobeforums.com

Mar 26, 2008, 9:56:07 AM3/26/08
Yes, also looked through FAQs and forums and tried anything relevant -- no success.

Matthe...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 1:47:18 PM5/14/08
Mr. Birks,
I'd like to help you investigate this issue. Is it possible you could contact me off-line to arrange to get a sample .indd and .doc file that I can use to reproduce the issue?

My email is mlaun and the domain is adobe.com.
Thank you!
--
Matthew Laun
Adobe Systems, Inc.

Dominic...@adobeforums.com

May 14, 2008, 6:03:34 PM5/14/08
Matthew's your ebst bet at finxing the problem, but have you tried the old trick of cutting your Word file in half and placing the first half, then the second half? (If one places okay but the other doesn't, you just keep halving the problem one until you isolate the problem. But that assumes it's a problem with the Word file.)

OT: What's unacceptable about the paragraph composer's results for you? I sometimes adjust its line breaks, but I haven't found any reason to drop it altogether.

Mick_...@adobeforums.com

Jun 12, 2008, 12:28:44 AM6/12/08
Instructions to solve the issue Clive Birks is having with InDesign CS3 crashing upon opening a second file.

In Windows XP:
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\ and move the 'Version 5.0' folder (Or delete) to your desktop and restart InDesign. This will solve the problem.

The instructions above are from Adobe customer support.