Glyphs not printing

1 view

Beth_Yo...@adobeforums.com

Oct 24, 2003, 7:08:46 PM10/24/03
I'm working on a G4 and printing to an old HP Laser 5si. In my line, I do a lot of concert programs and other musically related pieces. The real bear here is the composer Anton Dvorak - the "r" in his name has a slavic accent called a "hatcheck" - no idea if I'm spelling it right, as I only know romance languages.

At any rate - in ID, I can use the glyphs to get the right symbol/character combo, but in one particular file it won't print.

I work on these from a template which is set up correctly (i.e., download all PPDs, etc.) and in most of my files I have no problem getting this name to print correctly accented.

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem here and how to correct it? I'm using Palatino as the basic font, if that's of any use.

I'm wondering if the temporary solution is to export a PDF and print it that way, but even if that works I'd much prefer to fix the problem at its source.

Thanks

Ton_L...@adobeforums.com

Oct 26, 2003, 9:55:34 AM10/26/03
Interesting problem, caused by the printer.
I tried it in InDesign, in QXP, in PageMaker and in Illustrator on a HP Laserjet 2100, a HP deskjet and on a Phaser 7700; and prints were all different.

Not only I typed the name Antonín Dvorák (with a hacek (that's the spelling) on the r), I took all the East European, Turkish, Icelandish, Estian, Lettian, Litouanian and even the Dutch IJ and ij (my language). None of the printers did it well.
The r-hacek did do well on any of my printers anyway!
Also the r with a loose hacek - the r tracked with -280 - printed well.

The font Palatino, as it came with OS 9, is a TrueType Font. Very well extended with all those extra characters, but not very well made.
In Fontographer you can refind the font, as a Fontographer True Type Font. With a new ID-number, not familiar with any font active. And it will print fine.

Only, working in that way with Fontographer is illegal. Mr. Hermann Zapf or ITC will sue if they find out.

But is IS a solution as long as it takes. Waiting for better fonts in OTF, which are open and clear to all printers and operating systems, and obtaining all possible characters. Including even Chinese/Japanase and Hebrew and Arabic.

Alle the best fromn Ton.

RICHARD...@adobeforums.com

Oct 27, 2003, 10:47:27 AM10/27/03
A quick and dirty workround would be to convert the offending text to outlines.

regards

Richard

Beth_Yo...@adobeforums.com

Oct 27, 2003, 2:13:33 PM10/27/03
Since I'm not familiar with Fontographer (I'm just the publicist but layout and printing is part of my job), so I've opted for the Q&D version and it WORKED!

Thanks to both of you; if I ever get a spare moment I'd like to get some training on fonts - any suggestions where I might go for this?

Thomas_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 27, 2003, 8:13:22 PM10/27/03
<yodavoice> Mmmm. Wise you are, Youngdoff, to seek training in fonts, yes. </yodavoice>

The Palatino font has a version built into the printer, which may not match the version you're using on your computer. In printing from InD, turn ON the button that says "download PPD fonts" to force your version to get used instead of the one built into the printer. I suspect this might fix your problem.

The accent in question is generically called a caron, or in some languages specifically a "hacek" (the c in hacek itself having an accent on it).

Regards,

Thomas Phinney
Fonts Program Mgr.
Adobe Systems

Beth_Yo...@adobeforums.com

Oct 27, 2003, 9:26:20 PM10/27/03
thanks thomas - and where would that training be available? Adobe? I'm shocked - shocked, I tell you!

Anyway, I already have ID set to download PPD fonts, but in this case it was not working (though it had worked in the past in the same situation exactly, so why this time and not that I have no idea).

The outline fonts option, however, does work, so I"ll stick with that until I can learn more about fonts and the weirdnesses of printers. At least the printers aren't wookies!