???"File is not readable"???

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 8, 2009, 3:00:36 PM1/8/09
Me and my co-worker have been having this issue recently where we will create a file, save it, come in the next day, and we get an error saying "File is not readable", but if I try to open my file on my co-workers machine, it opens fine. It happens randomly but frequently. It happens when placing Photoshop files in Illustrator. We are currently running CS4 on WinXP machines running SP3. Both machines have 4gigs of RAM. Also, when we try to same some files, we get a message saying "The file may be read only, onother person may have the file open, or the file may be saved in another folder.", and when OK is pressed, Illustrator bombs. Any ideas???

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 8, 2009, 5:09:27 PM1/8/09
Hello!!!!! ADOBE!!!!!!!!!

Scott Falkner

Jan 8, 2009, 5:45:32 PM1/8/09

Hello!!!!! ADOBE!!!!!!!!!

Read the name of this forum again. It's at the top of the page, underneath the Adobe logo.

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 9, 2009, 3:06:52 PM1/9/09
I love when people don't actually contribute and just make a snide remark. So helpful.

Harron_K....@adobeforums.com

Jan 9, 2009, 5:19:13 PM1/9/09

Adobe support does tend to look in the forums from time to time.

There is absolutely no guarantee of that, Nick.

If it is Adobe you wish to contact, why not call or e-mail them directly?

Shouting here just riles up the natives.

Jenn...@adobeforums.com

Mar 20, 2009, 5:01:06 AM3/20/09
Hi Nick

I'm having exactly the same problem. Have you figure it out what's going on? Any solution? Many thanks!

Regards
Jennet

Myle...@adobeforums.com

Mar 20, 2009, 6:15:17 AM3/20/09
Well, given, that the original poster never provided more details, I'm afraid there can#t be a stock answer. What you should do, is as follows:

- check your folder permissions. All folders must be readable by the user and "System". If you want to save files, you also need write priveleges.

- check, whether the user account exists on both systems with identical name and password.

- check, whether the Group Policies and specific system wide security settings are identical on both.

- on Windows Vista, also check UAC, DEP and Internet Zone flagging.

- check for any additional security settings that may be related to network features such as share privileges and names of mapped drives/ shares.

- when you transfer files e.g. by ways of a mobile harddrive, make sure to always copy the permissions correctly (NTFS).

- check, whether virus scanners or software firewalls are interfering

Mylenium