e-mail link in pdf file

Michael P. O'Donnell

Mar 25, 2003, 10:59:48 PM3/25/03
I would like to have a link within a pdf file that sends an e-mail. How do I do this. I thought that it would be like a hyperlink, but I can not find this info in the index.

TIA
Mike OD

Michael L Grant

Mar 26, 2003, 3:36:01 AM3/26/03
If you're using Acrobat to make the PDF file, then use the Link Tool and select "World Wide Web Link" then set the URL to 'mailto:what...@email.address'.

If the Link Tool is not showing on your toolbar then go to the 'Window'>'Toolbars'
menu and select 'Editing'.

George Abdow

Mar 27, 2003, 8:38:14 AM3/27/03
This does work but is there any way to suppress the internet browser from invoking a blank page?

Tobias Hugener

Mar 27, 2003, 8:45:22 AM3/27/03
Not for end-user with Acrobat Reader.

There is a javascript function that allows to bypass the browser, but it works only with full Acrobat.

My suggestion: Add a link with following JavaScript action:

if (app.viewerType == "Exchange") app.mailMsg(true, "yo...@email.com", "", "", "YourSubject","");
else this.getURL("mailto:yo...@email.com?subject=YourSubject");

This way, end-user with full Acrobat won't be botherned by the browser and the end-user with Reader will still be able to send an email (through the browser and with a blank page).

Tobias