How to remove Acrobat toolbar in Word

Michael Asfaw

May 10, 2002, 1:37:43 AM5/10/02
I am using Acrobat 5.0.5 with Office XP (Word 2002). Every time I start Word, Acrobat automatically displays its toolbar in Word. I can turn it off, but the next time I start Word it show up again. How do I prevent this from happening? I don't mind disabling the Acrobat toobar permanently.

Help please.

Thanks,

Michael Asfaw

Tom Geschwender

May 10, 2002, 10:49:15 AM5/10/02
>I don't mind disabling the Acrobat toobar permanently<<

Well, you could blow out it's kneecaps. That would disable it permanently. Or, you could just remove PDFMaker

colinhyde

May 13, 2002, 8:32:54 AM5/13/02
I've got exactly the opposite problem - using 5.0.5 and XP, every time I log in Word has deleted the Acrobat menu, which I need to be able to use - if only my system did what yours does.............

Tom Geschwender

May 13, 2002, 11:00:37 AM5/13/02
Why don't you two just switch computers?

We should start an Computer Exchange program on eBay. I believe we have just about an equal amount of people who have the tool bar and don't wnat it as we do people who don't have it or can't keep it but do want it.

colinhyde

May 13, 2002, 11:26:19 AM5/13/02
or even more advanced, set up a Virtual Toolbar Option for trading unwanted functionality - that ought to take off....

Yvette Akeh

May 14, 2002, 1:26:37 PM5/14/02
How do I use the Virtual toolbar opotion, I can't seem to find. Thanks

Marc Masnor

May 14, 2002, 4:56:05 PM5/14/02
Related to both... I have the toolbar but PDF Maker stalls on the printing detail on the documents I need (it will run for simple tests that aren't work).

For the errors I get: %%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%% %%[ Warning: Univers not found, using Font Substitution. Font cannot be embedded.]%% UniversBold not found, using Courier. %%[Page: 1]%% UniversItalic not found, using Courier. %%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: xshow ]%%

I have no idea what xshow is. Univers is a working Windows font, but it doesn't show in Acrobat as available.

On a coworker's PC, the toolbar won't show, isn't in the toolbar list, but Distiller will make the pdf just fine.

Very frustrating and I'm approaching a deadline.

Aandi Inston

May 14, 2002, 5:20:44 PM5/14/02
This means Acrobat can't find Univers. It may be that your Distiller
printer driver has the wrong settings, since the driver has the job of
including it.

Aandi Inston

Michael Asfaw

May 15, 2002, 4:25:19 PM5/15/02
The Acrobat menu in Word is sufficiant for me, and I do want to retain this menu. The toolbar on the other hand is a pain and has to go. It causes my Word toolbar to extend to a new line taking up valuable screen space.

It definitely is a Acrobat bug. Does anyone from Adobe respond in this forum?

If I call Adobe tech support, will they charge me for reporting a bug?

Tom Geschwender

May 15, 2002, 4:49:45 PM5/15/02
It is NOT a bug!

If I was the Adobe tech you called to report this as a bug, I would certainly charge you a "stupidity tax"!

Michael Asfaw

Jun 1, 2002, 6:14:38 AM6/1/02
"stupidity tax" ??? Well Mr. Tom Geschwender, if I were your manager I would fire your @&#. In this thread, you have responded several times with smart-alecky remarks. If you cannot provide constructive input, please shut up.

Unknown

Jun 1, 2002, 11:33:59 AM6/1/02
Michael, what Tom is referring to is the fact that you can move those little Acrobat icons in Word... in fact, you can move anything in the toolbar in Word... it is a no-brainer.

Guy Smiley

Jun 1, 2002, 12:35:43 PM6/1/02
(1) You seem to think that Tom works for Adobe. This is a user-to-user forum, and no one at Adobe (or anywhere else, for that matter) cares whether Tom wasn't gentle enough for your sensibilities.

(2) Rather than as "smart-alecky remarks", you are better off considering Tom's comments as "wry humor".

(3) If you don't want the Acrobat icons to take up an entire toolbar row, just drag them to one of the other toolbars.

--Mike Nitabach

Josh Jones

Jun 3, 2002, 1:47:13 PM6/3/02
so basically, no one has a real solution to removing the acrobat icon or toolbar from word?

Funny, I have two of the buttons doing the same thing.

Tom Geschwender

Jun 3, 2002, 1:58:55 PM6/3/02
Michael,

A bug is something the softawre deosn't do that it is designed to do, or, inversely, that it does, but is not designed to do. If you installed PDFMaker, you get the buttons. The software is designed to give you these buttons, therefore, having these buttons, and not being able to get rid of them, is not a bug. And if you refer to this as a bug, then it is a stupid reference, and you deserve to get taxed! And if you were my manager, you wouldn't have to fire me, because I refuse to work for stupid people, so I would quit!

Simple solution: Don't install PDFMaker. No buttons!

Tom Geschwender

Jun 3, 2002, 2:09:04 PM6/3/02

Ana Tischler

Jun 3, 2002, 6:07:28 PM6/3/02
If you don't want the PDFMaker buttons to show up in Word, customize your toolbar by going to View > Toolbars and unchecking PDFMaker (this works in Office 2000)

Ana

peter j pilon

Jun 4, 2002, 9:48:57 AM6/4/02
If you want to remove the PDF-toolbar then you've got to remove the PDFMaker.dot file, or give this file another extension (not .DOT) which is located in the wrdstart-directory (use the find-tool). The same goes for Excel: there is a PDFmaker.xla in the XLStart-directory delete this file or give it another extension (not .XLA). If you want to create a PDF-file from Word or Excel you just got to print this file to the 'Acrobat Distiller'-printer.

Peter Pilon

Michael Asfaw

Jun 14, 2002, 4:11:54 AM6/14/02
OK, let me try this again.

First, let me point out that I am using Office XP with Acrobat v5.0.5. (I did not notice this problem with v5.0.1 and I suspect this problem does not occur in Office 2000.)

I am aware that I can show or hide toolbars in Word through the View->Toolbar menu. Unfortunately, this option does not work correctly with the Acrobat toolbar and my reason for posting to this forum. Each time I start Word, the Acrobat toolbar pops up again. NOTE that I can hide any of the Word toolbars including other third party toolbars, and they do not pop up when I restart Word.

I am also aware that I can remove the PDFMaker.dot file from the Word startup folder, which is what I ended up doing. I moved this file to the Word template folder where I can manually activate it when needed. NOTE that this action removes the Acrobat “menu” in addition to the toolbar until manually activated.

I write VBA code for a living, and have built templates (*.dot files) that produce toolbars in Word. They all behave correctly. This is why I strongly believe there is a bug in the PDFMaker.dot file or some compatibility problem with Word XP. If this file was not protected (locked), I probably could fix it.

On the other hand if Adobe designed this template to behave this way, Tom you are absolutely right. It is not a bug, it is an irritating feature. :-)

Tom Geschwender

Jun 14, 2002, 3:39:25 PM6/14/02
>It is not a bug, it is an irritating feature<<

Tax recinded. The check's in the mail!

fabio denegri

Jun 18, 2002, 6:51:42 AM6/18/02
you could remove the acrobat plug-in in word. you have to delete the file pdfmaker.dot from program files\office10\startup; and the files pdfmakera.dot e pdfmword.dll from program files\adobe\adobe acrobat 5.0\pdfmaker\office 2000
hi

Tom Geschwender

Jun 18, 2002, 11:35:25 AM6/18/02
From what I've read in here lately, if you assign Word as the editor in your e-mail, the icons don't show up any more.

Steve Rindsberg

Jun 20, 2002, 3:30:42 PM6/20/02
> Still can't remove the toolbar from Office XP (Word and Excel). This is
not a bug, but Adobe does this without asking. I want PDFmaker installed as
a printer >>

Excuse me for interrupting, but I think you mean that you want PDFWriter but
not PDFMaker. Have you tried uninstalling everything, then reinstalling,
custom and choosing PDFWriter but NOT PDFMaker? A custom install is the
only way you'll get PDFWriter.

> My system as no PDFMaker.dot anywhere.

If that's correct, you should be able to hold down ALT and drag the unwanted
menu item off the menu bar, then choose View, Toolbars, Customize and delete
the PDFmaker toolbar. It should stay gone when you restart Word. If it
reappears, then you do have PDFMaker.dot since this is the gadget that
creates the toolbar at Word startup. Try searching for PDFMaker*.* instead.
BillyG's idiot defaults for Win Explorer may be confusing the issue.

Heromine

Jun 24, 2002, 6:15:22 PM6/24/02
Not sure what you did Victor, but I don't get a nag screen and my toolbar no longer pops up.

Wasn't shooting from the hip, I was giving my solution. Sorry it wasn't sufficient enough for you.

John Rakos

Jul 3, 2002, 3:52:16 PM7/3/02
Hermione, for us newbies, how do you
1. Set your macro security to high
2. What is the exact list of macros that I need to delete?
John
jo...@rakos.com

Kevin Feenan

Jul 11, 2002, 10:18:59 AM7/11/02
There has to be some way to disable the taskbar item without resorting to uninstalling and reinstalling the product.

This is a major source of annoyance for myself as well as this should be just a simple matter of telling it not to display without having to do this every single time I start word.

If I tell word not to display certain taskbars then the next time I start word it saves my settings - to my mind this is a bug and Adode should fix the thing. Resorting to an excuse that 'well you should have choosen the custom option on install' is not an excuse for bad programming.

Kevin Feenan
in...@knomaze.com

Guy Smiley

Jul 11, 2002, 11:59:21 AM7/11/02
"This is a major source of annoyance for myself"

You must be very easily annoyed.

Have you tried dragging the Acrobat buttons to one of your existing Word toolbar rows? This way, they don't take up an entire row of screen real estate. When I do this, Word remembers the new location from session to session, so you should only need to do this once.
-Mike Nitabach