ADF Study

Frans Thamura

Aug 16, 2008, 3:40:11 AM8/16/08
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
hi all

can u share the way you look of ADF, so the newbies can learn and
become expert in this area

i dont know, when will the official training come from Oracle perspective,

i just know there is tutorial form OTN which we use for our ADF
training here, and Andrejus cool material, but all 10g

any idea?

Frans Thamura
Meruvian Foundation

Mobile: +62 855 7888 699
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/fthamura

Training JENI, Medallion (Alfresco, Liferay dan Compiere).. buruan...

Avrom Roy-Faderman

Aug 16, 2008, 9:11:11 PM8/16/08
to ADF Methodology
Hi Frans,

In about six months, I believe there will be a number of books about
ADF (all geared to 11g) available, including <plug><a href="http://
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071602380/wwwavromroyfa-20">Oracle
JDeveloper 11g: A Handbook for Fusion Web Development</a></plug>,
which is intended to start at just about when the OTN tutorials stop.
I know that that's a good ways away, but it's hard to find lots of
material before a product is really in production.

Best,
Avrom

Chris Muir

Aug 16, 2008, 9:59:07 PM8/16/08
to ADF Methodology
Oracle has taken a lot of care since 10.1.3 to provide huges amount of
information on JDeveloper & ADF, and the Oracle Wiki has a page
describing your needs directly:

http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Getting+Started+with+ADF

@Avrom, might be good to get an "advert" for your upcoming book in
that page ;)

Otherwise Oracle's main page for JDev has links to all sorts of
learning resources, in different formats from guides to demos to
upcoming events. As such it's more of a case of "newbies" just
finding a method that they like to learn with, rather than actually
trying to find material, as there's lots of it.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/index.html

If there is too much material to start with, the "Getting Started"
section on that main page provides a structured approach to online
learning as suggested by Oracle.

I of course also recommend a great 1 week JDeveloper training course
from my company, but as Australia is too far away for most of you,
maybe that might be a bit hard ;)

Cheers,

CM.

fnimphiu

Aug 19, 2008, 8:21:51 AM8/19/08
to ADF Methodology
This is an interesting topic and I think meanwhile I could write a
book about ADF newbie patterns just based on my observations on OTN.
The first question that needs to be answered in a self-assessment is
"what kind of newbie are you"? Are you a newbie to ADF or a newbie to
Java EE or computing at all ? Note that while ADF greatly reduces the
entry barrier to JavaEE programming, it doesn't make the Java learning
process obsolete

Here are my recommendations:
=======================

1) If you are new to ADF and Java, as a starting point I suggest to
follow one of the tutorials you find on otn.oracle.com/products/jdev.
This gets you started quickly and you have built something at the end
of the day, which avoids frustration.

2) The next advise to give is to keep on reading the developer guides
that are available for 10.1.3 and 11 (there are some more for 11).
Background information doesn't hurt and sometimes its better to know
where the information is written to than knowing the answer by heart.
Only a few percentage of answers that experts give are coming straight
from their head. The rest is copy and paste of existing codes that is
the outcome of a project they worked on.

3) Express your problems as usecases first - don't immediately try and
think in implementations. Its harder than you think because our
initial reaction to a problem is to hammer something in code. The
usecase can be posed to the JDeveloper forum for the experts to point
you to blog entries or documentation that explains the solution to
your problem

4) Read the OTN forum threads even if the question doesn't (yet)
impact you. Keep bookmarks of interesting threads

5) Start answering questions of the JDeveloper forum. No kidding! Even
if you are a newbie, a question you have asked in the past and that
you see asked again, is your chance to answer. again, based n my
experience, the best proof point that you understood something is to
explain it to someone who doesn't know.

6) Google, Google, Google

7) As mentioned above. More books are coming up and the documentation
for ADF too has increased in size and quality. Not all questions will
find an immediate written answer because the matrix of possible
usecases and implementation is big.

8) If you are coming from Oracle Forms, make sure you follow the ADF
page that exist just for this kind of audience and that is linked from
the Oracle Forms page on OTN

As I see it, we are all newbies one way or the other. And even if you
are working with ADF for years, there is always something new to
cover.

Frank

John Stegeman

Aug 22, 2008, 3:52:23 PM8/22/08
to ADF Methodology
@frank well well put.

#2 and #4 especially. Those two things, along with a lot of trial and
error, is how I learned ADF

Brenden Anstey

Aug 28, 2008, 9:41:32 PM8/28/08
to ADF Methodology
Point 2 in Franks list is so true even for developers with a few ADF
systems under their belt. There's a truckload of detail in the
developer guide particularly tucked away in the later sections (eg.
part 4 advanced topics). Also it's not just a reference but guide in
the sense that it demonstrates the approach to take in developing some
function. Forum posts that start with "I was following the approach
taken in the ADF guide for doing x y z and..." are going to get some
good responses.
I've been tripped over a few times by some setting only to find it is
actually covered in the ADF dev guide.

Recommended reading in Part IV Advanced Topics are:
28.8 Testing to Ensure Your Application Module is Activation-Safe
29.1 Overview of Application Module Pooling
32 Working Productively in Teams
34 Deploying ADF Applications

John Flack

Aug 29, 2008, 1:43:13 PM8/29/08
to ADF Methodology
Exactly. I often go back and re-read parts of the guide - some things
I didn't understand before become crystal clear with a little
experience.

On Aug 28, 9:41 pm, Brenden Anstey <brenden.ans...@delexian.com>

Avrom Roy-Faderman

Aug 29, 2008, 3:17:18 PM8/29/08
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hear, hear.

In fact, I'd make just one amendment. Recommended readings in Part IV are:
all of it. There's a *lot* of great stuff there, and sometimes I'm
disinclined to agree with Oracle's decisions about what counts as
"advanced" vs. what almost everybody really should know. I went about 18
months trying to code without reading the guide cover-to-cover (on the
grounds of, "oh, I know how that works," or "well, I'm not going to need
to know about that", depending), and man, I wish I hadn't.

(Deep dark admission: I still haven't read the 11g guide cover to cover.
But I'm going to fix that soon.)
--
Avrom’s Java EE and Oracle ADF Blog
http://www.avromroyfaderman.com