ADF feature wishlist?

Blaise Ribet

Dec 10, 2010, 7:39:16 PM12/10/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
All,

What are the top two or three enhancements that you'd love to see made
to ADF? As one of the ADF product managers, I'm interested to see what
this group of experts thinks is missing.

Thanks!
Blaise

Chris Muir

Dec 10, 2010, 11:20:31 PM12/10/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Blaise for posting this. It shows Oracle is very interested
in the opinions of this group which IMHO is a great outcome.

As I've been a part of such efforts before and I'd hate for us to
waste this opportunity covering old ground, I'd like to ensure when
members post a reply to Blaise, they follow the following rules
please:

a) Please no requests to open-source the framework. Believe me Oracle
is fully aware of this request, and as an Oracle ACE Director let me
advise you there will be no change to this anytime soon.

b) If you want bugs fixed, please include a bug number, or we'll block
your post. Too long we've heard users complain about bugs, but when
pressed if they'd bothered logging the issue with Oracle Support, we
get silence. This group is *all* for fixing JDev bugs, but useless
posts on bugs that haven't been logged help no one, as Oracle has
strict policy on this. However once you log the bug and post the #
here everyone benefits as the bug is certified as real, other members
get to find out about the bug, and you'll see Oracle is receptive to
fixing the issue.

c) Please no 1 line responses, we want a descriptive context on the
enhancement *and* why you want it *and* why you think it will be of
benefit to you *and* others.

With the above rules in mind, I already have 2 messages in the
moderators inbox queue I'll let through as it's not fair I posted the
rules after they posted, but future posts will need to comply.

I apologize for the lawyers approach to this request from Oracle, but
the moderators of this group would like to assure the quality of this
group is kept high.

Thanks again to Blaise for posting this request.

CM.

--
Chris Muir

Oracle Systems Consultant & Trainer
SAGE Computing Services Pty Ltd
http://www.sagecomputing.com.au

Oracle ACE Director
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/index.html

Email: chris...@sagecomputing.com.au
Blog: http://one-size-doesnt-fit-all.blogspot.com/
Mobile/Cell: 043-828-6421
International: +61-43-828-6421
Gmail chat: chris...@gmail.com
Twitter: twitter.com/chriscmuir
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chriscmuir

Mark Robinson

Dec 10, 2010, 7:46:39 PM12/10/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
An open-source implementation a la Trinidad would be great.

If we're asking for wishlist items we as well go big ;)

Mark

hasim

Dec 10, 2010, 10:55:43 PM12/10/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I will appreciate following stuff in Jdev/ADF

1. JSFUtils and ADFUtils to be part of ADF.
2. It is time consuming that every time when i change dependent ADF lib based application , I have to
     recreate adf library and refresh main project and run it again ,even for minor change and it eat's up
     lot of time.
3. When i change ADF taskflow , i have to clean whole project , i have to delete application folder from
    drs/o.j2ee then only new taskflow changes will be considered. I was expect ,no matter how much change   do in taskflow i dont have to waste my time in cleaning whole project to see my changes.
4. ADF has few issues when it come to running application on ie , Firefox and google chrome.
5. when i run the application again and again from jdeveloper , jdeveloper actually redeploy the application on weblogic and every 10-15 deployment weblogic throws out of memory | GC exceptions error.

Thanks,
hasim

Andrejus Baranovskis

Dec 11, 2010, 12:35:08 AM12/11/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
1. MDS repository admin browser
2. Flex fields
3. Fast swap compilation, without redeployment for Task Flows, Bindings, ADF BC

Regards,
Andrejus
--
Oracle ACE Director

My Blog - http://andrejusb.blogspot.com/
My JDev/ADF Samples list - http://andrejusb-samples.blogspot.com/

Simon Lessard

Dec 11, 2010, 11:25:33 AM12/11/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the input request, here are my 3 wishes:

1. A non databinding implementation of the TaskFlowRegionModel
I know Oracle sells a fully integrated stack, but I personally think you never lose in the long run when making something modular and reusable. Currently, it's impossible without some really deep knowledge to create a RegionModel that could consume the task flow but be generated by managed beans instead of a page definition. This limitation is especially crippling when you want to dynamically add a task flow to a page and don't want to use MDS for some reason. As I mentioned many times in the past, ADFc is the best new feature in ADF 11g and I'm pretty sure it would get even more traction if it was usable without being forced to use the databindings, even if that could mean to not have the transaction automatically handled by it. Basically, I'd like to be able to start a Spring, Toplink/Hibernate/JPA, ADF Faces and ADF Task flow project out of the box if I feel it's the best solution for a given customer.

2. An additional lightweight implementation of ADF Faces fully compliant with HTML 5, CSS 3, WAI and WAI-ARIA
Rich client already support accessibility, but it does not always match the legal constraints for some countries toward accessibility. Also, with the ubiquity of the Web and the service offered through it, more and more people are using it and are expecting to get equals service so the tendency is here to stay. For example, the recent Canada Supreme Court judgement forces the federal government to make all of its web site accessible within the next 15 months (see http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/legal-matters/Ottawa+told+make+sites+accessible+visually+impaired/3901632/story.html) so this have a huge business potential too. Now, with the coming of JSF 2.0 and Facelets this may seem like less useful, but the native component implementation still bring advantages like the lifecycle, event handling, and partial refresh potential. I could easily see an ADF Faces Rich Client and ADF Faces Basic libraries usable in tandem or standalone. Again, this would be just extra flexibility.

From the CSS perspective, some web designer are likely to prefer a more light weight version for skinning purposes.

Finally, a JSF component set based on HTML 5 could offer gracious degradation when HTML 5 is not supported on the client's agent, whereas static HTML in the page cannot.

3. A more flexible richTextEditor component.
Basically, it would be nice to have all the functionalities of CKEditor or TinyMCE for example, including a plugin framework. This represents a huge piece of works, especially when you need to support multiple browsers, but I had to integrate FCKEditor in my current project because the basic functionalities provided by the ADF Faces ones (which are the document.execCommand ones only) weren't enough for our users. This has been a nightmare to do because of a conflict in the event handling between ADF and TinyMCE at first (which is why we went with FCK) so a native flexible implementation would have been better. That being said, this is a very specific needs, whereas my two other wishes show up much more often, so this is a low priority wish compared to the other two.

Regards,

~ Simon

Jan Vervecken

Dec 11, 2010, 4:03:56 PM12/11/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
hi Blaise

- (1) As an enhancement to ADF, I would like to see Oracle introduce
an approach to the product evolution that is more open, more engaged
to community feedback, more trackable.
Yes, this very discussion thread is a possible approach to collecting
ideas, but what about an open discussion on the individual ideas
between product management en product users (unless you think that
should also happen in this very discussion thread, but that will
likely become very confusing very fast)?

hi Andrejus, Simon

Have you guys filed enhancement requests on My Oracle Support for the
enhancements you suggest here?
If so, could you also post the bug numbers? If not, why not?
(Just, trying to illustrate an aspect of the "enhancement (1)" I
describe above.)

regards
Jan Vervecken

joe greenwald

Dec 11, 2010, 1:29:13 PM12/11/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
1. Ability to store reusable components/lib in other than file system. Along with this is the ability to do some form of impact analysis to determine all the projects that will be impacted by a change in a reusable component/library. Also impact analysis on reusable custom validations and domains, etc so we can quickly and easily see all places reusable components are used.
2. Some form of impact analysis to determine all places an ADBbc component is used (ie all the places where a VO is used in a form for example.)
3. Full ADF capability in Eclipse, so we have a choice of Eclipse or JDeveloper for our IDE
4. Complete documentation on all bind ('bindings') variables so we can easily see what it does, why it's used, when to use it and an example of where it should be used. Also, full UML class docs for the frameworks so we can see how the various parts interrelate. Frank did a bit of this in his book and I found it useful. Also, systematic examples of the various core programmatic parts of the framework. The examples should proceed from simple examples to more and more complex, using more and more of the fwk to see how it should and could be used.
5. Some form of interaction with a project management tool. Includes the ability to indicate (manually at first) what % 'done' a portion of a project is and be able to see this reflected in the PM tool.

thank you for the opportunity.

joe
--

Oracle
Joe Greenwald | Sr. Principal Consultant

Phone: main: +1 650.355.3501 cell: +1 415.599.6021
Pacifica, California

Theory <--> Practice

joe_greenwald.vcf

Passmore, Richard

Dec 11, 2010, 3:00:23 PM12/11/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Better integration with other Oracle back ends (like Tuxedo) would be high on my list as well as better support for Trinidad - we have customers that are still using IE6...

Ajay Koranne

Dec 12, 2010, 8:42:03 AM12/12/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
A true ajax implementation would be really nice!

Currently with ADF, all requests in first 50 ms are combined and sent
as one request. That's not a big deal.

All the subsequent requests then have to wait, until the response for
all requests in the first batch is completed. The is a big deal. For
one of my client, we have an SR open with Oracle on this issue. And it
seems Oracle had other clients complaint about it too.

My guess is, this could be related to the data controls and its
synchronization.

Anyway just my two cents..

Chris Muir

Dec 12, 2010, 11:29:59 PM12/12/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Thanks again to Oracle for the opportunity to post our ADF wishlist.
This is like the adult of version of writing a letter to Santa!

As a consultancy specializing in Oracle development platforms for
*enterprises* (not consumer based apps), we've noted since the
introduction of the Apple iPad an increase in the demand/interest of
bespoke mobile application development from our enterprise customers.
As a result having undertaken proof-of-concept projects considering
the ADF development framework running on mobile platforms for
enterprise based systems, we're looking for improvements from Oracle
to support these (see below). An obvious fear is poor support for
mobile platforms will drive enterprise customers to other development
platforms besides Oracle with better support for their entire
enterprise needs - this in turn will hinder the uptake of ADF as a
central development platform within these organisations.

While it's useful that ADF Mobile Client supports native Blackberry
apps, Blackberry is not a consequential mobile platform in Australia,
with Apple followed by Android devices being significantly more
important in terms of sales and mindshare among enterprise staff, in
particular IT staff that drive the adoption of these new platforms,
and from CIOs/CEOs who are having iPads land on their desk.

With this in mind, specifically in priority order we'd like to see
please:

a) More thought given to supporting tablet devices (eg. iPad, Samsung
Galaxy) rather than just smartphone based devices as a development
platform
b) There's no "b", I'd like to upvote "a" several times
c) Support for Apple iPhone/iPad native apps
d) Ditto Android
e) Special consideration given to whitepapers that detail writing ADF
applications that support all of these at the same time and the
standard desktop web application. For instance how to structure your
applications to support multiple view layers/platforms.

Regards "c" and "d" note I'm specifically identifying native app
support as separate to accessing remote web pages running ADF - as
provided to the Blackberry platform through ADF Mobile Client with the
ability to keep data locally and sync with a corporate HQ. While
mobile/cell coverage is excellent in Australia, there are remote areas
where connectivity is an issue so a true-mobile application would be
desired. Again this is all secondary to tablet support.

Obviously there are a huge array of issues and challenges for Oracle
that go along with asking for the above, but the original post was
indeed asking for members' wishlists so here's wishing.

CM.

(Looking forward to opening my Oracle Christmas stocking with a few
welcome surprises in 2011)

MARTIN Olivier

Dec 13, 2010, 3:10:14 AM12/13/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Hello everybody ,

My wishlist for ADF will be:

  • plugins for eclipse. This way ADF will become less tight to jdeveloper. Developers hate changing their IDE J
  • support of generics and applicative exceptions in adf binding

Olivier

Olivier MARTIN

JEE Architect  - Industrialisation
( +33 4 88 91 17 63 - VoIP: 83 35 17 63

CMA CGM SYSTeMS

A Joint Venture of IBM and CMA CGM

amir hosein khanof

Dec 13, 2010, 4:45:42 AM12/13/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Very interesting Topic,my wish list for ADF is as below

1- fully compatibility with RTL in Firefox and other browsers
    at the moment when the RTL is used scroll has and table has problems in FF so we can not use FF for the RTL languages.
2-a more lightweight version for when the connection speed is low or when the application is going to be accessible via internet.
3-a conversion tools for Form builder to ADF without use of JheadStart at least the model be converted from fmb to ADF bc layer...
4-possibility to mix the ADF faces with other JSF library such as Richfaces
5- more reliable LOV: the current LOV has lots of issue or bug in big applications and I think that the performance of the LOV could have been better.
 LOV on the table has some limitation and lov on pk not work at the moment.

Amir Khanof

Luc Bors

Dec 13, 2010, 5:32:59 AM12/13/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

My list (just to get started) so far:

1) possibility to mix the ADF faces with other JSF libraries

2) With enhanced maven support on its way, I'ld also like to see the possibility to deploy AdfLibrary jars from within JDeveloper to an artifact repository such as Artifactory or Nexus.

3) Enhancements considering the contextual events framework that are currently being discussed by the "Inter Region Expert Panel"

regards

Luc Bors

Jean-Marc Desvaux

Dec 13, 2010, 8:34:15 AM12/13/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Blaise,

I won't be too greedy ... or maybe just a little bit with my second wish..

1/.An "easy-to-search" well documented list of common helper classes to boost productivity and help drive good practice, which you can quickly paste into your code + which can be updated as and when new classes are made available.
2/.ADF full support of other JSF libraries including Trinidad.

Thanks.
Jean-Marc

John Flack

Dec 13, 2010, 8:55:43 AM12/13/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
I'd love a reporting tool that is well integrated into the framework.
Use VOs as data sources, have the report designer available as an
editor (as iReport is for NetBeans and BIRT for Eclipse). The tool
could be an open source tool like one of these, and integrated into
the framework as Trinidad is. I've been fooling with a JDeveloper
extension to add iReport (report design tool for JasperReports) to
JDeveloper, but I'm not paid to write JDeveloper extensions, so
progress is VERY SLOW and may never see the light of day.

Another possibility - I know that XSQL can use a VO as a data source
and that you can use it with XSL-FO and something like Apache FOP to
run reports. Maybe a design editor for that integrated into
JDeveloper would do the trick.

Donovan Sherriffs

Dec 13, 2010, 9:26:06 AM12/13/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Full control and customization on LOVs and query components. - This
would allow for things like row count auto focus on fields, auto
select row etc ease of use customizations to be done.
Eclipse and maven support - would allow some of the java developers to
acclimatize more easily.
Faster build times and jdeveloper start times - We use ojdeploy on
what will be quite a large set of applications and our build is
trending upwards takes 10 minutes to build. (with all projects)
Enhanced view criteria with ability to control the left hand side of
the criteria (to add trunc etc).

Thanks
Donovan

Mario Ribeiro

Dec 14, 2010, 6:36:23 AM12/14/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi Blaise

I agree with Donovan's last wish, increased flexibility in editing /
creating View Criterias as my 1st wish. An expert mode if you will,
allowing you to add standard sql functionality which the current View
Criteria wizard doesn't cater for. Simple example, try doing the
following in a View Criteria where you want only active rows in a
table as a VC option: SYSDATE between start_date and NVL(end_date,
SYSDATE+1)

There are several workarounds for this, but this is just one example
of many and could increase productivity immensely.

Thanks,
Mario

Marcelo A. Vasquez

Dec 14, 2010, 7:13:27 AM12/14/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Oracle for the opportunity to post our ADF wishlist.
  1. Better integration of ADF with google maps and MapViewer.
  2. To use a VO to validate attributes of the EO, today you can do, but only validates the data entered with the first ROW in the VO

thanks and happy holidays

------
Marcelo Vasquez

Steve Muench

Dec 14, 2010, 7:54:11 AM12/14/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
On your item #2, just wanted to make sure you knew that you could create a view accessor on your entity object, and they reference the view accessor in entity business logic to work with more than just one row of the related view object. By using the view accessor you can also declaratively configure any bind variables and view criteria that might be required for your use in validation.

Grant Ronald

Dec 14, 2010, 8:08:22 AM12/14/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Marcelo, wish 2 is already granted ;o)
Depending on the use case, you can do things like validate against an
accessor (e.g. use case might be OrderItemm.UnitPrice must be greater
than ProductInformation.MinPrice )

Or Customer.MaritalStatus must exist within MaritalStatusViewObject.

Two examples of this are covered in my book (QuickStart Guide to Fusion
Development) pages 115 and 117.

Hope this helps
Grant

Marcelo A. Vasquez wrote:
> Thanks to Oracle for the opportunity to post our ADF wishlist.
>

> 1. Better integration of ADF with google maps and MapViewer.
> 2. To use a VO to validate attributes of the EO, today you can do,

> but only validates the data entered with the first ROW in the VO
>

> thanks and happy holidays
>
> ------
> Marcelo Vasquez

> www.jdeveloperla.com <http://www.jdeveloperla.com>

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Blaise Ribet <blaise...@oracle.com
> <mailto:blaise...@oracle.com>> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> What are the top two or three enhancements that you'd love to see
> made to ADF? As one of the ADF product managers, I'm interested to
> see what this group of experts thinks is missing.
>
> Thanks!
> Blaise
>
> --

> <mailto:adf-methodology%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Ramesh Kanchanam

Dec 14, 2010, 1:51:30 PM12/14/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
1. Make ADF fully conmpatible with Eclipse
2. Capablity to Generate PDFs/powerpoint, when users/ Top excutives see the ADF app with lot of info they want the same in PDF or powerpoint.
3. HTML 5 complaint
4. Increase Jdeveloper performance, when used continously the performance degrades and need restart it.

multikoop

Dec 14, 2010, 6:02:36 PM12/14/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi,

here is my whichlist so far:

i) Better Maven Integration: With the current maven plugin as far as I
know the wizard provides new project template 'Maven Project'. That is
not really usable for ADF Projects. I really would like to see a tight
integration, so the dependencies (JARs) of what ever jdeveloper
project are automatically beeing synchronized with the generated
pom.xml. Just select the project and say 'Add maven nature' which
would create the pom.xml and keep in sync the JPR und the deps in
pom.xml + the function to install the defined library deps to our
maven repository. We had an extension in 10.1.3 which did exactly this
but it is not yet ported to jdev 11g. Nevertheless firstlevel support
for that request would be great. See also
http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology/browse_thread/thread/e961b13f0856b134
for further information.
ii) Hudson integration (like in e.g. Netbeans)
iii) Code Assistant in writing groovy expressions (ADF BC). Currently
just the syntax is checked at development time. This is not much
useful. Productivity could be increased dramatically if we had
enhanced support for which variables are accessible from a specific
"groovy context".
iv) Wizard-Support for creating AM Service methods from PL/SQL
functions, procedures. (Similar to WebService from PL/SQL, but cleaner
and appropriate code generation)
v) Usefull Utility Classes included in ADF
vi) Cleaner API Design. Example: It is really confusing for beginners
when they need to write java code to choose from
oracle.adf.model.OperationBinding and oracle.binding.OperationBinding.
Typically you only write OperationBinding and afterwards the import
assistent shows up with 2 options. Both named OperationBinding. So
which to import? Beginner will never know! Advanced developer may
differentiate but still is shaking her head. I think API will not
change soon cause of compatibility but maybe we could get more
generation support resulting in less failures for backing bean code.
vii) Improved JDeveloper Pefrormance & Stability.
viii) Recommended(Optimized WLS Settings for Development by Default!
ix) ADF Demo Sample with NO ERRORS/WARNINGS included! (If the newest
demo is loaded into the newest JDev version, I am always not really
confident seeing a lot of warnings)
x) Bugfixes for http://adfbugs.blogspot.com/
xi) Taskflows for ADF Mobile if not yet provided
xii) JUnit Extension integrated by default. There is so much stuff
included by default in jdeveloper but one of the most imported is not
available by default. For Beginners it would be great to have JUnit
support from the beginning.
xiii) Generating/Setting the align-Attribut of af:column by inspecting
the format type from the ui hints. (number => align="right")
xiv) CRUD Support a la grails etc.: Wizard for creating a reusable BTF
for CRUD Operations on EO.
xv) HTML5 support in next ADF Faces Imlementation ;)

Regards,
Andreas

Jean-Philippe Melanson

Dec 15, 2010, 1:33:35 AM12/15/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
My top 3:

1. Better JSF components and simpler components.
Ideas of "better" components : more-featured rich text editor, Flash
(SWF) renderer, enhanced file uploader that could use Flash or Applet
technology, HTML5-aware components, Image gallery.
I have a great deal of expertise integrating new components and this
would have been an enormous time-saver and it won't be solve directly
with new tech such as HTML5 or JSF2.0 (but those can be a helpful part
of the solution).

2. Better coding experience. For me, it goes with more Eclipse-like
coding assistance in JDeveloper (or Eclipse support for ADF). Better
runtime support for change to minimize redeploy time. Support for a
lightweight container for development. Support of a "development
stage"
where caching of resources is disabled.

3. Open up the Javascript API . I know Javascript is evil for a lot of
programmers and abstracting it is a goal of ADF, but it's very odd
that some of the basic functions of the framework, like sending a
simple Ajax request, are marked as unsupported API. Sometime you need
better control on client-side.

Great idea Blaise!
Thanks for your open ears, hoping to see some of our ideas make their
way into the framework someday!

Jean-Philippe

Rutwik

Dec 15, 2010, 2:47:19 AM12/15/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Here is one from me, which is combination of ADF, jdeveloper and weblogic server.
A monitoring/admin console for ADF business components to
1. View counts and graph of running adf components like number of AM instances in pool
2. Number of rows cached for EO/VO
3. qurery and other performance indicators for VOs and AM methods
4. Facility to cleanup EO VO cache and AM pool from this weblogic console at runtime.
Etc...

All these things will greatly improve  monitoring n management of large ADF application deployments.

regards - rutwik

Jean-Marc Desvaux

Dec 15, 2010, 3:07:48 AM12/15/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Just a quick note for Rutwik post on 15 dec about monitoring
features..
There is already LOTS of monitoring/admin charts/counts in WLS
Enterprise Manager console via "Performance Summary" where you can
show a Metric Palette and choose from a HUGE list of metrics including
AM active, available,.. instances in pool for each AM.

John Stegeman

Dec 15, 2010, 3:31:29 AM12/15/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
@Rutwik:

> 1. View counts and graph of running adf components like number of AM instances in pool

OEM Fusion Middleware Control can do this (as well as monitor task
flows)

John

Michael Koniotiakis

Dec 15, 2010, 8:36:16 AM12/15/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
I feel like writing a letter to Santa Clause …

I would like to contribute to this wish list by adding some of end
users requests that we have rejected as platform limitations.

End User wishes:
• To have at least the same responsiveness of their old Client
application
• To have a more stable behavior like:
o Not to brake pages when they (by mistake) press Backspace or F5
(explorer Back and refresh buttons)
o To have same layout and behavior no mater the browser.
o To be able to return to same state after the timeout (not to
loose their data)
o When they type values fast on partial triggered dependent
components not to loose their input because the component is refreshed
later from server.
• To have specific Tab order of navigating fields in input forms
• When they press CreateInsert on an editable table the focus to go to
new row in order to start typing
• Input List of values popup to be resizable
• Dates in af:query to have custom input pattern
• To be able to select a value (or a row) from a read only af:table in
order to copy it with Ctrl+c.
• To have validations in query criteria

As a developer I feel like the framework have too much functionality
and to many options and it is real hard to combine them in a ‘best
practice’ way. It is reasonable since it would be impossible for
oracle to test all possible combinations of different choices. Yet I
wish there were more best practice/bad practice documentation and Demo
applications (like Frank’s and Duncan presentation in OOW).

As for Chris comment
‘However once you log the bug and post the #
here everyone benefits as the bug is certified as real, other members
get to find out about the bug, and you'll see Oracle is receptive to
fixing the issue.’

I think it is a wish, since many bugs are not visible in Oracle
Support for some disclosure policies. There are bugs referenced in my
Service Requests that I don’t have access to see them. Also you cannot
download a test case that reproduce the bug.

I guess if bugs was disclosed, my blog http://adfbugs.blogspot.com/
would not be useful.

I wish you all merry Christmas

alex font

Dec 15, 2010, 9:33:59 AM12/15/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
First of
all.
Thanks for the oppurtunity to comment
in a  input request, here are my wishes:
  1. more servers supported. Because if ADF is JEE standard is difficult to explain  to customers that only runs on Weblogic.
  2. More flexibility and customization on query components
Thanks

Passmore, Richard

Dec 15, 2010, 11:00:47 AM12/15/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the opportunity to give some feedback... One thing our group is fighting through is lining up columns so our new application looks more like the application we are attempting to replace... So, along those lines:

1. Add the ability for "PanelFormLayout" (or add another object like it) that arranges its children horizontally before vertically... So, if I have siz inputs (1,2,3,4,5,6) and 3 columns, the first three (1,2,3) would appear in the first row and the second set would appear directly below (column below column)... Granted, with simple controls, you can reorder the list (1,4,2,5,3,6) but, there is sometimes a logical order that makes more sense.

2. It would be very handy to be able to do a column span so, within the above, I could add a table and tell the tool that it can use three columns to display the table while preserving the column alignment above and below the table...

I know, this probably bends one of the primary goals of ADF but, when coding to match a legacy app with customers that expect it to look/act exactly the same, sometimes you have to bend the rules a tad... :-) Many of the other suggestions I've seen look extremely helpful as well, Eclipse, more AppServers, etc.

Thanks for your consideration!
Richard Passmore

Dec 15, 2010, 12:00:05 PM12/15/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
I have 3 simple wishes

1- Fix the bug of Frame Busting, so that I can include my ADF
application/ Task flows in iframe bug 8400985

2- More WSRP support, for Task flows to be WSRP 2 compliant, to be
working with WebCetner Interaction and other WSRP Consumer portals

3- ADF Utilities to exist and support in an easy matter controlling
some of the important weblogic MBeans

More WSRP support (That can be hosted in WebCenter Interaction for
instant)

Libraries for controlling weblogic MBeans

Mark Robinson

Dec 15, 2010, 2:00:46 PM12/15/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
1. Better Maven support.

Right now, Maven support is a bit anemic, albeit hugely improved from before.  I'd like to see this trend continue.
a) Generate maven build script(s) from an existing JDeveloper application.  Right now, you can't do that.
b) A tool to auto-populate a Maven repository with JDeveloper packaged libraries.  There is a tool out there but it's got a few problems (It only output .sh files, it misses several libraries like ojdbc.jar)
c) A tool to generate out deployment scripts based upon existing deployment information in the Application.

2) Better templateDef introspection support.

What I mean is that when you open a templateDef page and you have a series of attributes

       <attribute>
         <attribute-name>customer</attribute-name>
         <attribute-class>com.marksoft.Customer</attribute-class>
         <required>true</required>
       </attribute>
      <af:table
                contentDelivery="immediate" autoHeightRows="10"
                value="#{attrs.cusomter.contactList}" var="row">

JDeveloper will underline the contactList item because it can't(or won't) introspect into the Customer class.  What results is that any vaguely complicated page turns into a mess of orange squiggles and makes it really difficult to tell if you're trying to access a variable which doesn't exist or if your code is correct.  This works correctly when I reference an attribute from the pageflow-scope.

Mark

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Blaise Ribet <blaise...@oracle.com> wrote:
>  All,
>
> What are the top two or three enhancements that you'd love to see made to
> ADF? As one of the ADF product managers, I'm interested to see what this
> group of experts thinks is missing.
>
> Thanks!
> Blaise

Chris Muir

Dec 15, 2010, 7:57:04 PM12/15/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Oh, I forgot a major "looming" issue for us, which we lodged ER
9322213 sometime back, is to allow multiple different versions of ADF
Runtime Libraries to be installed on a single WLS install (on separate
managed servers). At the moment all our ADF applications use
11.1.1.2.0, but we're planning on adopting 11.1.1.4.0 when it's
released for new applications, and this is going to cause a headache
of WLS server maintenance, as well need to have separate WLS installs
for each ADF runtime.

Personally I'd also like to see some alternative versions of the ADF
UI Shell, say a version for building shopping cart type applications,
and another for forums. The UI Shell was a major productivity booster
for us in that in taught us a lot about building the composite parent
ADF application .... more Shell like patterns would be appreciated.

CM.

Maiko

Dec 16, 2010, 6:19:43 AM12/16/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Chris,
Would you have simple (aka,balsamiq) sketches/mockups for the desired templates you are talking about?

We've been doing a lot of PoCs and maybe we can provide a jump start on that.

[]s
Maiko
Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos, mistakes, etc.

Chris Muir

Dec 16, 2010, 7:43:56 AM12/16/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Let a coder do visual design Maiko! Are you mad? I'm likely to make
everything green or something ;-)

While I might be joking, this is kind of one of my problems having moved
from the Forms world to the web world, or more strictly speaking the ADF
world. I kinda know the web world patterns, we all see similar shopping
cart sites again and again, but an implementation and instructions how
to create it in ADF are a invaluable but missing link. The original ADF
UI Shell was excellent for providing not just a layout, but
understanding what could be achieved with the ADF composite application.

As for actual mockups there's a few web-site UI pattern resources around
such as http://ui-patterns.com/patterns which would form a good basis
for what you're looking for. I could mock something up, but it's not
really my forte.

Green I tell you. Green.

CM.

Maiko

Dec 16, 2010, 8:29:01 AM12/16/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Alright, fair enough - it's a good start. Let's see what I'm able to cook up (yes, I love to cook ^_^)

I will also ping the UX team and see what we could share publicly from our internal Fusion Apps UX patterns catalog.

[]s
Maiko
Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos, mistakes, etc.

Nick Aiva

Dec 16, 2010, 9:09:51 AM12/16/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Thank you for asking our feedback Blaise!
Let's discuss some points of criticism:

First, full compliance to the J2EE specs and standards.
Being unable to deploy to existing , non weblogic. servers is
unacceptable.
Available ADF plugins not only for Eclipse, but for Netbeans and other
popular IDEs.

Second, no undocumented (hidden)ADF properties should exist.
Such properties might impose problems and doubts i.e about potential
security issues.
Documentation must be full, precise and reliable.
Free step by step tutorials, not only manuals and developer guides,
including ejb for model not just bc,
should be available online, like the older ADF 10g ones.

Third, Oracle might consider splitting the ADF licensing in two:
one for using bc for model and another for the view project tag
libraries, rich faces and so on.
By halving the price, people who use ejbs, hibernate or other open
source technologies might
find adopting parts of ADF, more affordable.

Fourth, submitting bugs should also be allowed to users who cannot
afford the oracle support services.
Anyone who finds and submits ADF defects, should be somehow rewarded.
Correcting ADF defects by oracle support should take days, not
months.

That's all for now,
merry Christmas to you all,
I wish Oracle ADF becomes your top seller product.
Good luck with managing ADF Blaise!

NA
http://nickaiva.blogspot.com

amir hosein khanof

Dec 16, 2010, 9:48:46 AM12/16/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

"Second, no undocumented (hidden)ADF properties should exist.
Such properties might impose problems and doubts i.e about potential
security issues."

Very interesting request from Nick, sorry that I am posting for this thread again but the statement of Nick  is one of my wishes too.

I have seen many hidden documents in the blog and book regarding ADF which is unacceptable as they are private!. we see some problems and we are not able to find any solutions from any documents that exist for ADF in Oracle website but surprisingly we see a solution for that problem in somebody blog and the solution is not documented anywhere! we all now that this kind of solution is not because somebody is very intelligent or very creative (of course this factor are important but are not the main factor) the main factor is that they know some thing that we dont! (documets, source, or any thing else!)
and many people say bless to you for your post you are hero! but no body ask where did you find this solution??
I really think that this kind of hidden documents or resources or even Oracle Source Code or any other materials that some people have and the others do not have is not fair!! and would result in: first many people would be disappointed regarding this technology and second they are mainly reliable on somebody blog or book to find solutions instead of the official documents.
At last eventually ADF would be a products leads by some people, not a technology belong to everybody compare to Java or J2EE which are open to all.

Amir

Marcelo A. Vasquez

Dec 16, 2010, 9:25:40 AM12/16/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Back to enter a comment:
1. Validation on the above comment, I'll check back because when I wanted to use did not work and the documentation says that comment above.
2. I think it would be good for the Application Test Module allows test methods publishedin the section "Java -> Client Interface " Application Module

Marcelo Vasquez

Chris Muir

Dec 16, 2010, 7:12:01 PM12/16/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
"2. I think it would be good for the Application Test Module allows test methods publishedin the section "Java -> Client Interface " Application Module"

Marcelo, do you mean the Business Components Browser?  If you simply open the associated AM in the BC browser, you can in fact test exposed client interface web methods.  Admittedly the BC Browser interface is a bit inconsistent, as to test methods exposed through VOs you simply right click on the VO then select Operations, but for the AM you need to double click the AM or select Show.

CM.

Chris Muir

Dec 16, 2010, 8:34:07 PM12/16/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
More JDeveloper wish list items for the IDE specifically, in no
particular order:

a) In the JDev IDE via Project Properties -> Business Components node
it's possible to "Initialize the project for Business Components",
which instructs the JDEV IDE to make a number of changes to the
underlying project. However there isn't a facility to reverse this
option if accidentally activated.

b) In the JDev IDE under Windows (unconfirmed for other operating
environments) if you create a package under a project that
accidentally includes capitalization (e.g. acme.Wigets.utilities) and
attempt to refactor the package name using the rename option to use
all lower case, the IDE either ignores the refactoring or complains
that the file already exists.

c) Once you've named an Application Workspace, there's no way in the
IDE to change the Application name after the fact. - ditto Projects –
hugely annoying when creating hundreds of TaskFlows applications and
you realize you haven't named them correctly.

d) If you have an application checked out of SVN and you pick the
Delete option via the Application menu, the resulting confirmation
dialog doesn't warn you that deleting the application will not only
delete it from the file system, but will also delete the application
in SVN.

e) Mistakes in the DataBindings.cpx file are often not picked up at
compile/deploy time, but rather runtime. This can be really hard for
beginners to debug.

f) It's too easy for beginner developers to create Model layer objects
in the ViewController and vice versa. As example I've discovered a
DataBindings.cpx in my junior programmer's Model projects a lot – this
tells me the IDE is letting them make a silly mistake.

g) The IDE allows you to view files from one App Workspace while in
the App Navigator you're looking at another. This is fine and desired
behaviour. However it doesn't warn you that you're doing this, and is
rife for error.

h) You can't easily move files in the App Navigator. We've often
wanted to restructure our JSF pages into subdirectories after they're
created.

i) This one I'm not sure about, but as far as I can tell it's not
possible to have 2 App Navigators open to look at different
applications and compare them (unless I've missed the option to spawn
a 2nd App Navigator - this was possible in pre-11g days)

j) SVN pending changes window often doesn't show files for the
outgoing/candidates/incoming tabs unless you specifically "open"
projects within the associated App Navigator. This leads to
programmers not checking in all code as they haven't manually opened
each project of an Application.

k) I may be wrong on this one, but it appears a refactor of a class
file results in an SVN delete then add of the changed object. This
loses the history of the original file in SVN. Instead SVN should be
instructed to just move the file in the SVN repository.

l) An option to turn off the SVN revision number against files in the
App Navigator. This has always been visual clutter for me.

m) The node "ADF Library Dependencies" that appears when an attached
library has other dependencies beyond that loaded by the master
application, is badly named and misleading for beginners. It should
be "Attached ADF Libraries Dependencies"

n) When creating files under the ViewController, JDev makes a mess of
storying files under the adfmsrc and src directories. By default
classes go under the src directory, until you create you're first
pageDef file, then it arbitrarily starts storing beans under the
adfmsrc directory or the src directory depending on the location of
the last file you opened. This results in Java classes that are in
two separate locations. It's only controllable if you turn the Group
By Directory option on – and this isn't obvious to beginners.

o) ViewController pageDef files created for fragments or flows do not
follow the default package structure of the ViewController project.

p) A change to an ADF BC AM including exposed VOs and client interface
methods, and VO client interface methods, should result in automatic
requery of the Data Control Palette - this confuses beginners.

q) Dropping the Data Control Palette commit or rollback operations
onto a BTF that is using a transaction should result in a warning as
the developer should be using the Task Flow Return commit/rollback
activities.

r) The icon set for task flows includes a lot of grey icons, that
makes it harder to differentiate each and their purpose. In turn the
icons for View Activities and Method Calls both look like documents,
meaning they can be mistaken as both representing pages/fragments.

s) Router task flow icons, for their name, don't allow natural English
expressions like "Is pAddressId empty?"

t) There are too many places to open a db connection and specifically
work with the contents - the App Navigator, the Resource Palette, the
Database Window. In the former two, though you can expand the db
connection nodes and see the db objects, you can't open the db
objects, making it fairly clunky as you then need to open the Database
Window. Instead of expanding the db connections in the Resource
Palette or App Navigator, simply take the user straight to the
associated connection in the Database Window so they can continue
working with it.

u) In the property inspector for a component in a jspx/jsff page, if
you're entering a property with a HTML escaped character, such as
single quotes like #{bindings.thing.inputValue == 'fish'}, the
resulting property written into the jspx file is
#{bindings.thing.inputValue == &quote;fish&qoute;}. As JSF uses an
interchangeable quotation system, JDev should just put the single
quotes in. This makes the code much easier to read.

v) For ADF BC EO/VO association/links based on database FKs, in the
database the name of the FK is often opposite to that of the ADF BC
relationship created (if that makes sense). So for example in the db
you create a FK from addresses to clients, say called AddCliFK, but in
ADF BC you create the EO/VO assoc/link from Clients to Addresses.
This is confusing for beginners with database experience. Maybe the
FK name should be used for the EO/VO association/link generated names?

w) Too many sub-tabs are spawned in the log window at times. For
example deleting 2 separate files in the App Navigator results in 2
sub-tabs in the log window for each delete operation. As the log
window can include important information, the developer needs to keep
on closing unnecessary log sub-tabs to find the useful information.

x) Code highlight doesn't work for XML files (important for tag and
property matching)

y) Default project option for ADF ViewController JSF session &
pageFlowScope beans to always implement the Serializable interface

z) A magic button that when pressed does all my work for me.

Ho Ho Ho.

CM.

Grant Ronald

Dec 17, 2010, 4:35:39 AM12/17/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Chris, couple of quick answers to some of your points:

for b) there are two bugs tracking this: 7663825, 8792942. I've gone to
the developers to ask for clarification since it seems that one bug
should have fixed the problem, while the other questions if this is the
correct behaviour on windows (which is case insensitive).

c) YOu can rename the application from the File -> Rename or from the
Application menu ( to the right of the appplication name in the app
navigator)
Same for projects - select the project and File -> Rename

p) is one of the most common issues I see when teaching ADF
courses...however, the developers tell us there is a performance hit in
doing an automated refresh: 9543593, 8248517, 8240547 - however these
are still open so maybe they can find a way

Hope this helps
Grant

Chris Muir wrote:
> More JDeveloper wish list items for the IDE specifically, in no
> particular order:
>
> a) In the JDev IDE via Project Properties -> Business Components node
> it's possible to "Initialize the project for Business Components",
> which instructs the JDEV IDE to make a number of changes to the
> underlying project. However there isn't a facility to reverse this
> option if accidentally activated.
>
> b) In the JDev IDE under Windows (unconfirmed for other operating
> environments) if you create a package under a project that
> accidentally includes capitalization (e.g. acme.Wigets.utilities) and
> attempt to refactor the package name using the rename option to use
> all lower case, the IDE either ignores the refactoring or complains
> that the file already exists.
>
> c) Once you've named an Application Workspace, there's no way in the

> IDE to change the Application name after the fact. - ditto Projects �

> hugely annoying when creating hundreds of TaskFlows applications and
> you realize you haven't named them correctly.
>
> d) If you have an application checked out of SVN and you pick the
> Delete option via the Application menu, the resulting confirmation
> dialog doesn't warn you that deleting the application will not only
> delete it from the file system, but will also delete the application
> in SVN.
>
> e) Mistakes in the DataBindings.cpx file are often not picked up at
> compile/deploy time, but rather runtime. This can be really hard for
> beginners to debug.
>
> f) It's too easy for beginner developers to create Model layer objects
> in the ViewController and vice versa. As example I've discovered a

> DataBindings.cpx in my junior programmer's Model projects a lot � this

> By Directory option on � and this isn't obvious to beginners.

Grant Ronald

Dec 17, 2010, 4:44:41 AM12/17/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
You can test AM client methods and also VO client methods as well -
although the latter is "hidden"

Right click CustomersView1 in the BC Tester and show as a table
Select View-> Operations and select myTestMethod

Just in case you do use this, check out 9738636 since there is a bug
that if the AppModule class has not been generated then doing the above
throws an exception.

Chris Muir wrote:
> "2. I think it would be good for
> the Application Test Module allows test methods publishedin the section
> "Java -> Client Interface " Application Module"
>
> Marcelo, do you mean the Business Components Browser? If you simply
> open the associated AM in the BC browser, you can in fact test exposed
> client interface web methods. Admittedly the BC Browser interface is
> a bit inconsistent, as to test methods exposed through VOs you simply
> right click on the VO then select Operations, but for the AM you need
> to double click the AM or select Show.
>
> CM.
>
> On 16 December 2010 22:25, Marcelo A. Vasquez <marcelo.vasquez.ar

> <http://marcelo.vasquez.ar>@gmail.com <http://gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Back to enter a comment:
> 1. Validation on the above comment, I'll check back because
> when I wanted to use did not work and
> the documentation says that comment above.
> 2. I think it would be good for
> the Application Test Module allows test methods publishedin the section
> "Java -> Client Interface " Application Module
>
> Marcelo Vasquez

> www.jdeveloperla.com <http://www.jdeveloperla.com>

Edwin Biemond

Dec 17, 2010, 1:21:39 PM12/17/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi,

for me

Disable some automatic jdeveloper features,
1 everything in the workspace will be deployed when you start the
viewcontroller project, ( like a Task Flow project , is seen as WAR ,
Remote EJB is seen as a local EJB)
2 Disable the resourcebundle generation , I got my own. Now in every
TF or when open a adf xml , jsf, it generates a resource bundle.
3 Disable the ejb reference to the web.xml when you use a EJB
Datacontrol ( EJB DC dont need this reference , got its own in
datacontrols.dcx)

Generate ADF libraries from ANT,
OJDeploy must only check the current workspace and project, now every
connection of all your workspace in jdev will be validated , it is
damn slow.
OJDeploy in real ANT and no calling a executable
Debug ADF Library without building ADF library / source

JPA/ EJB first citizenship ( local or Remote ) just like ADF BC

EJB / DC issues Already reported to Frank N & Development.

1. Re-Generate an EJB Datacontrol on a previous version then the
access iterator are not generated so no named criteria and cant use a
ADF query panel.
2. SDO interface on the EJB Session Bean and Entities fails
completely with seperate packages for the entities and the session
bean, need to do a lot re-factoring
http://biemond.blogspot.com/2009/07/using-ejb-service-reference-in-soa.html
3. Default resourcebundle attributes names, now you need to add
entries like label , tooltip to every attribute. I build a ANT script,
what can do this
4. Lazy loading, jpa support lazy loading for references but when
you do this and using the adf child iterator these object are not
loaded so everything has to eager, can lead to loops and performance
bottleneck
5. List of values on an ADF entity attribute and this also can be
used in a ADF Query Panel like this
http://soadev.blogspot.com/2010/09/reusable-query-and-listofvalues-model.html
6. Enum problems with a ADF datacontol. I know this is hard on the
page but from a managed bean I should be able to retrieve the value of
the iterator.

Datacontrol

1. the jndi context parameters are hardcoded in the datacontrol xml
generated on the bean. You can not change these values with the
datacontrol editor. only in source mode.
Now I made an ANT script what re-generate the ADF lib for the EJB
Datacontol and change the provider url.
2. remote ejb errors are not passed on to adf , you receive a error
on the operating binding that the remote method is not found, with a
ejb test client I got a message that the datasource does not exists
3. we want to define somewhere the provider url for the jndi lookup
in the webapp not in the adf ejb datacontrol file. the web.xml and
weblogic.xml does not support this and in orion-app.xml you could
define external file , these files contains the context parameters

thanks

Richard Ver Steeg

Dec 17, 2010, 12:45:03 PM12/17/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
My #1 at the moment would be More IDE support for declarative
features. Currently, you have to manually track through multiple files
to see things like contextual events or method activities in their
entirety - just two of many examples. Makes it motr difficult then
necessary to implement and debug. I'm not suggesting a change to the
content or layout of the various files, just how they are presented.
UIs that gather information from multiple files and present it in a
unified fashion as-if it came from a single source would greatly
enhance the design-time experience

I'll share #2 and possibly #3 in a later post or I'll never get any of
them sent ;-)

richard

Luc Bors

Dec 17, 2010, 2:38:32 PM12/17/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Just remembered an issue I first ran into over a year ago (in 10.1.3.x), and I encounter that same issue over and over again (up to 11.1.1.3).

You can read on it at the forum http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3701322&#3701322

So here is an addition to my wish list:

- Can we please have support for " typed collection parameters in Application Module client interface"

Unlike Chris (a,b,c,  ....  z) I'll keep adding wishes as soon as they come to my mind.

But I have to admit: If you manage to implement Chris'  "Z" wish, you'll also make my day ;-)

Thanks

Luc Bors

Chris Muir

Dec 20, 2010, 2:29:29 AM12/20/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant, thanks for your follow up.  Comments in reply:

b) In the end JDev is now at version 11 and it still hasn't sorted out refactoring - there's been issues for a very long time.  IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING.

c) Sorry, I wasn't explicit enough on this requirement.  JDev needs to rename the directories of the application/project too, with further consideration if the app/project is synced with SVN, it needs to undertake the appropriate SVN rename operation on the associated jws/jpr files & directories too.  Renaming the jws/jpr files is just a hack by the IDE.

p) When I click the refresh button it takes JDev milliseconds to respond so I'm not sure what use case the developers are basing their analysis on. To be blunt it's undesirable that the "smart" Data Control Palette designed to assist beginners can't keep up with the changes made in the Model project.  Imagine if the same was true of the debugger windows, you had to update them each time you ran a line of code to see the updated values, imagine the chaos that would follow.

Regards,

CM.

Chris Muir wrote:
[...]

Luc Bors

Dec 20, 2010, 4:34:58 AM12/20/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Change the way that default package names for new ADF applications are derived.
Now the default is:
  • nl.amis.technology.model
  • nl.amis.technology.view
If I use this default (without changing anything) I run into conflicts while running an application containing taskflows form ADF libraries that are created using the same default. For instance: "JBO-34010: The "view/DataBindings.cpx" descriptor appears in the application classpath more than once"

So I suggest to iclude the application name in the default package name.

  • nl.amis.technology.<appName>.model
  • nl.amis.technology.<appName>.view
This prevents developers from having to re-factor a lot when they run into the uniqueness issue after deployment.

Regards

ugb

Dec 21, 2010, 4:14:42 AM12/21/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
A few more days until Christmas, I hope my wish not to be late ...

IDE / Productivity

- Mass Changes

A simple Tool integrated into JDeveloper to update/add/delete EO/VO/
JSFF.. - Files like Forms API Master. Today i use XMLTask for Ant
inside my build process.

Use Case:

Set all EO attributes with name "ID" in project X to class DBSequence.
Set property displayRow to "selected" in all jsff - files in path ../
auth/customer

- Audit / Rules / Profiling

Simple how to documentation to add own rules to the JDeveloper audit
functionality and call the audit external with ant.

- Resource Palette

Connection to Maven Repository.

Use Case

Simple integration to use all existing ADF Libraries in all projects.
The local library files could be updated by context menu inside the
Resource Palette. So the use and refresh of ADF Libraries for
developers is simple and transparent.

ADF Security

- Easy support of different Permission Stores.

Use Case:

Store and define Authorization / Permission inside a database. Grant
EditPermission or MyPermission on runtime.

ADF Mobile

- Support JavaScript Touch - Event on iPhone / iPad for ADF Faces.

Use Case

Build up a Dashboard with Charts etc. on the fly.

- Native support for iPhone / iPad and Android (Ok is on the way :)

Production / Administration

- ADF Application User Session List

A extension to Fusion Middleware Control that shows which user are
currently online and using application X or Y. Similar to the
function that a currently available for Oracle Forms Sessions.

---

Apart from these minor wishes my biggest wish for Christmas is the
release of 11.1.1.4 is the hope our Bug 8602867 fixes.

ulrich

Chris Muir

Dec 22, 2010, 1:59:29 AM12/22/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
More ADF wish list items to come, this time for ADF BC:

a) JDev 11g introduced ViewCriteria for View Objects, effectively named SQL WHERE clauses that can be applied to the VOs underlying query.  It would be good if we could also have such an abstraction for a VO's sort order.  Today I had such a requirement where one VO is used by a LOV and a selectOneChoice.  In the LOV the data needed to be sorted by a descriptions column, in the selectOneChoice it needed to be sorted by a code column.  When exposing the VO through the associated AMs, just like the ViewCriteria, if I could have picked a declarative Sort Order this would be ideal.

b) in the VO editor query tab, it's never quite clear to me if the bind variables are for the VO default query, or an associated ViewCriteria.

c) Minor requirement - VOs allow a table alias to be set for the selected EO.  It would help if the alias could be defaulted at the VO level.

d) Implementation of EO business logic groups requires an "others" option, otherwise you need to create a business logic group for every discriminator value.

e) It would be *very* useful when generating the associated ViewObjectImpl for a VO that helper methods to set the ViewCriteria and set any bind parameters were automatically generated.  We're having to write these a lot.

Cheers,

CM.

Blaise Ribet

Dec 22, 2010, 8:48:38 PM12/22/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, Jan Vervecken
Hi Jan,

This is an interesting suggestion, and I think all of us product
managers are very interested in discussing feature ideas with users,
especially with this list. So you may see more emails from individual
PMs asking questions about features people have suggested here. As you
may already realise though, for legal reasons we can't expose our our
feature plans to external tracking.

Thanks
Blaise

On 12/11/10 1:03 PM, Jan Vervecken wrote:
> hi Blaise
>
> - (1) As an enhancement to ADF, I would like to see Oracle introduce
> an approach to the product evolution that is more open, more engaged
> to community feedback, more trackable.
> Yes, this very discussion thread is a possible approach to collecting
> ideas, but what about an open discussion on the individual ideas
> between product management en product users (unless you think that
> should also happen in this very discussion thread, but that will
> likely become very confusing very fast)?
>
> hi Andrejus, Simon
>
> Have you guys filed enhancement requests on My Oracle Support for the
> enhancements you suggest here?
> If so, could you also post the bug numbers? If not, why not?
> (Just, trying to illustrate an aspect of the "enhancement (1)" I
> describe above.)
>
> regards
> Jan Vervecken

Blaise Ribet

Dec 22, 2010, 8:58:30 PM12/22/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, Marcelo A. Vasquez
Marcelo,

Thanks for your input. Can you give an example of number 2, to make sure I understand what you're requesting?

Thanks!
Blaise

On 12/14/10 4:13 AM, Marcelo A. Vasquez wrote:
Thanks to Oracle for the opportunity to post our ADF wishlist.
  1. Better integration of ADF with google maps and MapViewer.
  1. To use a VO to validate attributes of the EO, today you can do, but only validates the data entered with the first ROW in the VO

thanks and happy holidays

------
Marcelo Vasquez

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Blaise Ribet <blaise...@oracle.com> wrote:
 All,

What are the top two or three enhancements that you'd love to see made to ADF? As one of the ADF product managers, I'm interested to see what this group of experts thinks is missing.

Thanks!
Blaise
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).  Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

Blaise Ribet

Dec 23, 2010, 12:07:58 AM12/23/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, Rutwik
Rutwik,

Thanks for your suggestions. Have you used the enterprise manager pages for ADF applications? Any comments on the metrics that we have?

Blaise

On 13 Dec 2010, at 19:04, Jean-Marc Desvaux <jm.de...@gcc.mu> wrote:

[...]

Blaise Ribet

Dec 23, 2010, 12:15:08 AM12/23/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, agawish
Hi Agawish,

Can you describe some use cases for wish number 3? Some specific things
that you imagine doing with these utilities.

Thanks!
Blaise

Blaise Ribet

Dec 23, 2010, 12:50:04 AM12/23/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, Marcelo A. Vasquez
Marcelo,

I may not understand your item number 2 below - do you want to be able to test your client interface methods in the ADF BC tester? You can do this already, although I admit it's difficult to discover.

- To test custom methods in your AM: In the tree on the left, right-click the AM and select Show. This brings up a form for testing AM custom methods.
- To test view object custom methods: Double-click the VO instance in the tree on the left to show the data. Then in the menu, select View -> Operations.
- To test view row custom methods: Right-click the VO instance in the tree and select Show Table. Then select the row you want to execute the method on, and in the menu, select View -> Operations.

Blaise

Blaise Ribet

Dec 23, 2010, 1:13:40 AM12/23/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, Chris Muir
Chris,

For e), can you give me a couple of examples of the kind of mistakes?
For s), for each component on a task flow diagram you can specify a
Display Name and a Description in the property inspector. I'm not sure
if you knew about this - does it meet your requirement or were you also
hoping for something that would display on the diagram?

Thanks
Blaise

On 12/16/10 5:34 PM, Chris Muir wrote:
> More JDeveloper wish list items for the IDE specifically, in no
> particular order:
>
> a) In the JDev IDE via Project Properties -> Business Components node
> it's possible to "Initialize the project for Business Components",
> which instructs the JDEV IDE to make a number of changes to the
> underlying project. However there isn't a facility to reverse this
> option if accidentally activated.
>
> b) In the JDev IDE under Windows (unconfirmed for other operating
> environments) if you create a package under a project that
> accidentally includes capitalization (e.g. acme.Wigets.utilities) and
> attempt to refactor the package name using the rename option to use
> all lower case, the IDE either ignores the refactoring or complains
> that the file already exists.
>
> c) Once you've named an Application Workspace, there's no way in the

> IDE to change the Application name after the fact. - ditto Projects �

> hugely annoying when creating hundreds of TaskFlows applications and
> you realize you haven't named them correctly.
>
> d) If you have an application checked out of SVN and you pick the
> Delete option via the Application menu, the resulting confirmation
> dialog doesn't warn you that deleting the application will not only
> delete it from the file system, but will also delete the application
> in SVN.
>
> e) Mistakes in the DataBindings.cpx file are often not picked up at
> compile/deploy time, but rather runtime. This can be really hard for
> beginners to debug.
>
> f) It's too easy for beginner developers to create Model layer objects
> in the ViewController and vice versa. As example I've discovered a

> DataBindings.cpx in my junior programmer's Model projects a lot � this

> By Directory option on � and this isn't obvious to beginners.

> #{bindings.thing.inputValue ==&quote;fish&qoute;}. As JSF uses an

Chris Muir

Dec 23, 2010, 1:59:14 AM12/23/10
to Blaise Ribet, adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Blaise

Thanks for the follow up.

Regards,

e) It's possible to refactor/move pages and/or pageDefs in an application where the changes aren't correctly reflected in the DataBindings.cpx file, or, the developer manually edits the file and makes a mistake (rarer occurrence).  At runtime the system on accessing a said page configured in the DataBindings.cpx file will display an error message it can't find #{bindings}.  When the page is made up of fragments made up fragments with multiple binding files in play the error message is less than useless.  If the developer doesn't run the problematic page/fragments for sometime it can be a long time between what originally caused the problem, and the error being detected.  From my experience for beginners its near impossible to work out what went wrong in this scenario.

As such the DataBindings.cpx file really needs to stop any detected errors at compile time otherwise a destructive error has entered the application.  Arguable the refactoring shouldn't break the DataBindings.cpx file, but as it's also possibly to manually edit the file the issue can still occur.

s) As you say, I want to see it in the diagram.  At the moment without English expressions the diagram is just a bunch of pretty icons and arrows.

Thanks again,

CM.

On 23 December 2010 14:13, Blaise Ribet <blaise...@oracle.com> wrote:
[...]

Chris Muir

Dec 23, 2010, 3:55:12 AM12/23/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
A few more wishes, this time for ADF Faces RC components

a) A DVT time series graph with scrollable boundaries.  To explain we've hit the requirement a few times where our customers are logging certain events (say) against a customer over time.  For example they may create the client, then update their address, lodge a payment and so on.  Graphically the users have expressed a requirement to see those events somehow graphically represented.  I imagine a horizontal bar representing a time series from one date to another.  On that bar at certain dates, for different event types, different coloured balls are shown to represent the event.  When the user floats their mouse over the ball, a popup displays more detail about the event.

(Somehow this sounds a bit similar to an inputNumberSlider)

In turn we'd like to use this as a filter, such that the user can select a particular date on the timeline, then via a contextual event or similar we could grab the date, and use that to filter data in a table below (as example).  With this in mind the ability to select min and max ranges too would be good.

b) A carousel calendar combination, with each page in the carousel being a month or week.

c) The ability to expand a multi line inputText control via the mouse.

CM.

Maiko

Dec 23, 2010, 4:42:36 AM12/23/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I did (c) with JavaScript for my "orabook" demo. Will dig out the code for you. :-)

[]s
Maiko
Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos, mistakes, etc.

Amr Gawish

Dec 23, 2010, 5:05:52 AM12/23/10
to Blaise Ribet, adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Blaise,

Some use case I came across is creating/editing/removing users of weblogic security realm from within my ADF application, by giving the realm name and authenticator name, and to be always in sync between some database users and weblogic users

Best Regards,
Amr Gawish

Nachiket

Dec 23, 2010, 10:52:04 PM12/23/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am not sure if there is is such kind of functionality - usage of the function keys on web components.

Ex: On an inputText user key in a certain value, and F1 would open a popup/modal window to display detail information about the value keyed in.

Since the page would run on a browser, there could be certain conflicts; Ex: On the Mozilla browser Function key +11 (F11) would do a full screen of the web page. I know this shoots my requirement down, but someway to get around this.

Thanks,
Nachi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

--
Thanks,
Nachi

Vaibhav Rastogi

Dec 24, 2010, 1:01:56 AM12/24/10
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,

1) Regarding renaming, we still have issues when it comes to web project. For example, if we are into middle of development and now want to change the folder structure of web project, it is a pain now. We will have to go and update the page definitions manually to point to the renamed folder. If it is done automatically on chaging the package name that will be great.

2) Another issue which I face is tight coupling of business components to web pages. For example, if I have created a jspx page which binds to various components of data controller. Now I want to divide this page into different fragements which contains sections of the main page. It is not possible as of now as the fragement has a different page definition.

3) There is also a tight coupling between database, business objects and UI, which is not a good design practice.

4) Above problems also points to a bigger problem of not giving flexibility to change my design at the later stage.

5) ADF is being more like a development tool than a programming language or framework. I am feeling myself more as a user of a tool than a developer these days after working with ADF. There are less chances of innovations as most of the problem has been addressed and solutions are available as features of ADF. Although I accept that knowing the ADF and all its features itself is a challenge for a developer. I like ADF because of its rich features.

Good thing about ADF is that it is a very fast development methodology and probably this is the USP for this product. It has its own business segment. ADF is capable to have monopoly in that segment in future. Let us retain that feature and work more to improve it better in future.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Chris Muir wrote:
[...]

skpillai

Dec 26, 2010, 2:20:54 PM12/26/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
1) Automatic web service based data control refresh. Most of the time
it doesn't work.
2) As someone mentioned all uitls as part of ADF.
3) JDev - most of the time it acts crazy. Cleanup or close/open jdev
or sometime re-boot. Why not more stable as eclipse does?
4) When I use dependent project libraries, JDev automatically adds
libraries again it causes like databinding.cpx is in the classpath
more than once.
5) When I create VL based on dependent library, it doesn't add the
full path and that causes invalid view link error.
etc, etc, all I want is very stable product. Please test your products
and release it, as some of oracle guys agrees with respect to testing
issue.

Hendrik Gossens

Dec 27, 2010, 3:13:24 AM12/27/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
1) An "easy to use" pagination meachanism on af:table components would
be nice. Sometimes it is a request, because customers know it from
common websites like amazon, ebay, ...
2) Leaf nodes of af:tree/af:treeTable should be displayed as leaf
nodes. Currently, the framework's method "hasChildNodes" returns true
in any case.
3) Actually not an ADF feature wish, but would be a powerfull
enhancement: A bidirectional association between team server and
versioning control. JDev should offer the possibility to add the TPC
issue tracker's issue key to the commit message of SVN.

Jan Vervecken

Dec 27, 2010, 8:22:30 AM12/27/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
hi Grant

Thank you for referring to these bugs. Only after requesting to
publish them (in SR 3-2620957481) they were published, so I can now
find them on My Oracle Support.

- 7663825: REFACTOR RENAME DOESN'T RECOGNIZE UPPER/LOWER CASE CHANGES
- 8792942: UNABLE TO RENAME PACKAGE NAME TO LOWER CASE NAME

- 9543593: UX: DATA CONTROL PANEL ALWAYS NEEDS TO BE REFRESHED
MANUALLY
- 8248517: APPNAV DATA CONTROL PANEL NOT REFRESHED AUTOMATICALLY ON VO
SAVES/SAVE ALL
- 8240547: NEWLY ADDED CLIENT INTERFACE METHOD DOESNT SHOW UP IN DATA
CONTROL PALETTE

- 9738636: ROW OPERATIONS DON'T FULLY WORK IN THE AM TESTER.

regards
Jan Vervecken

On Dec 17, 10:35 am, Grant Ronald <grant.ron...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Chris, couple of quick answers to some of your points:
>
> for b) there are two bugs tracking this: 7663825, 8792942.  I've gone to
> the developers to ask for clarification since it seems that one bug
> should have fixed the problem, while the other questions if this is the
> correct behaviour on windows (which is case insensitive).
>
> c) YOu can rename the application from the File -> Rename or from the
> Application menu ( to the right of the appplication name in the app
> navigator)
> Same for projects - select the project and File -> Rename
>
> p) is one of the most common issues I see when teaching ADF
> courses...however, the developers tell us there is a performance hit in
> doing an automated refresh: 9543593, 8248517, 8240547 - however these
> are still open so maybe they can find a way
>
> Hope this helps
> Grant
>
> Chris Muir wrote:
> > [...]

Jan Vervecken

Dec 27, 2010, 10:14:43 AM12/27/10
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
hi Chris

- about (i)
In SR 3-2621541551 an enhancement request has been created
-- 10429987: HAVE MORE THAN ONE APPLICATION NAVIGATOR IN JDEVELOPER
IDE
see also the forum thread at http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2150424
- about (n)
see forum thread "confusion about Java source files in adfmsrc and
src"
at http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2150423
- about (o)
In SR 3-2621541588 I was referred to this bug
-- 7502373: PAGEDEF FILES NOT CREATED UNDER PAGEDEFS PATH FOR JSPX
CREATED IN SUB-DIRECTORY
see also the forum thread at http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2150425

regards
Jan Vervecken

Ansuman Abhishek Roy

Jan 1, 2011, 4:48:14 AM1/1/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Following is my wishlist.

1. More capabilities of Datacontrol/ADFm refactoring.
2. More documentation(tutorial kinds) for the excellent ADF Javascript framework.
3. Extension of  ADF JS library(like ext JS, JQuery, YUI) which is more decoupled from the JSF framework, so that people can have more options for building UI.
4. More mashup examples. Creation of Mashup frameworks.
5. Richer Javascript editor in JDeveloper.

Thanks,
Ansuman

susan duncan

Jan 4, 2011, 7:14:15 AM1/4/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hendrik,

3) Actually not an ADF feature wish, but would be a powerfull
enhancement: A bidirectional association between team server and
versioning control. JDev should offer the possibility to add the TPC
issue tracker's issue key to the commit message of SVN.

We are looking at this for a future version. Can you email me (offline
from this thread) with more detail on what/how you use TPC and JIRA/SCM

rgds

susan

susan....@oracle.com

Jan Vervecken

Jan 12, 2011, 4:29:15 PM1/12/11
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
hi Ulrich

Related to you comment on bug 8602867 I have posted some questions in
forum thread
"task-flow table filtering behaviour related to bug 8602867"
at http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2157454

regards
Jan Vervecken

On Dec 21 2010, 10:14 am, ugb <ulrich.gerkmannbart...@googlemail.com>

Jan Vervecken

Jan 19, 2011, 2:46:31 PM1/19/11
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
hi Luc

- about your wish ...
Can we please have support for "typed collection parameters in
Application Module client interface"
... using JDeveloper 11.1.1.4.0 the behaviour seems to have improved

See also the forum message
at http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=9298037#9298037

regards
Jan Vervecken

On Dec 17 2010, 8:38 pm, Luc Bors <lucb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just remembered an issue I first ran into over a year ago (in 10.1.3.x), and
> I encounter that same issue over and over again (up to 11.1.1.3).
>
> You can read on it at the forumhttp://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3701322
>
> So here is an addition to my wish list:
>
> *- Can we please have support for " typed collection parameters in
> Application Module client interface"*
>
> Unlike Chris (a,b,c,  ....  z) I'll keep adding wishes as soon as they come
> to my mind.
>
> But I have to admit: If you manage to implement Chris'  "*Z*" wish, you'll

Passmore, Richard

Jan 25, 2011, 2:47:16 PM1/25/11
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,
I'm relatively new to ADF (less than a year of playing)... I'm noticing that a LOT of places, the jsf tag definitions don't include all possibilities as far as things that go inside them including things that have to be there for it to work (for instance f:facet in an af:switcher... well, mainly f:facet everywhere)... I get all kinds of errors displayed in the IDE that, frankly, I have to ignore in order to get my job done which leads to the problem of, I have so many of these that it sometimes ends up hiding valuable information. Anyway, can you put cleaning up the DTD (or similar) on your list? Perhaps, you've done so in 11.1.1.4 - I'm on 11.1.1.3.

Thanks,
Richard Passmore