Dynamic Tabs Shell template - useful to mere mortals?

Simon Haslam

Nov 18, 2009, 4:05:53 AM11/18/09
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Yesterday I had a look into the new Dynamic Tabs Shell template, as
delivered in 11gR1 PS1. I wrote a blog posting about it here:
http://www.veriton.co.uk/roller/fmw/entry/adf_dynamic_tabs_shell_template

Now my question is, how useful will this template be to custom/bespoke
app developments of a much more modest size than Fusion Apps? I've
been oscillating between two schools of thought:
1) use it for everything as you may want dynamic tabs later anyway,
and the template gives you a lot of the layout that a typically in-
house app would require,
or
2) only use it as a starting point, basing your own template on it.

Clearly it will depend on how much time you've already invested in
your own templates - for example I've just got 2 and 3 column ones
(with the usual header and footer) which, whilst fairly ordinary, do
the job and I'm not sure I need anything fancier yet.

Either way I think we should take the opportunity to study things like
this to try to glean new techniques and best practices; for example,
does anyone else bundle a java bean with their template?

The biggest downside for using the template "out of the box" would
appear to be that you've lost some of the easy customisation that you
use templates for (assuming nesting of templates is not supported)
which feels a bit of a backwards step.

Any thoughts, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?!

:Simon

Simon Haslam

Nov 25, 2009, 10:53:10 AM11/25/09
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Has no-one got any opinions on the Dynamic Tabs Shell template, or is
it a bit too soon?

In fact are the provided templates really any use at all, except as
examples for writing your own? For example, the simple "Oracle Three
Column Layout" never seemed much use to me as it still needs lots of
customisation (though is good for Oracle staff to knock up demos with
I suppose!). In contrast the Quick Start Layouts introduced in the
last release, especially when used in the JSF page template dialog
box, I think are very handy indeed (especially for new developers).

Simon

On Nov 18, 9:05 am, Simon Haslam <Sim...@veriton.co.uk> wrote:
> Yesterday I had a look into the new Dynamic Tabs Shell template, as
> delivered in 11gR1 PS1. I wrote a blog posting about it here:http://www.veriton.co.uk/roller/fmw/entry/adf_dynamic_tabs_shell_temp...

Chris Muir

Nov 27, 2009, 12:01:42 AM11/27/09
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
As a side note, anybody interested in the UI Shell and other ADF UI
design patterns can post to the "ADF UI Patterns & Best Practices" OTN
forum here:
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=764&start=0

CM.

fnimphiu

Nov 27, 2009, 2:46:35 AM11/27/09
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Simon,

I think that out-of-the box templates are unlikely to meet everyones
requirements. In my opinion, you should see them as a starting point
for your custom developments and use them to build custom page
templates. Same for the quick templates JDeveloper provides. They
create good starter layouts, but adds these starter layout to the page
source directly, which means if you only use these, it will become
difficult to modify them later. So my personal preference would be to
use page templaes and use all the Oracle templates as a starting point
(a head start) unless - for example the UI Shell template - really
hits the nail on what you require. If we would officially support page
template inheritance, my recommendation probably would be different.

Frank

Steve Muench

Nov 27, 2009, 3:34:33 AM11/27/09
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
As at least two people have asked me for it so far, I've published a link to the source code for the default UI Shell template project here:

http://blogs.oracle.com/smuenchadf/2009/11/source_for_ps1_dynamic_tab_she.html

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

Chris Muir

Nov 29, 2009, 11:42:18 PM11/29/09
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Some further thoughts on my blog about the UI Shell:
http://one-size-doesnt-fit-all.blogspot.com/2009/11/adf-11gr1-ui-shell-oracle-dynamic-tabs.html

I'm happy to discuss my post here rather than on my blog.

Cheers,

CM.

Andrejus Baranovskis

Nov 30, 2009, 5:08:27 PM11/30/09
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I did a couple of tests, and I saw that Pending Changes window is shown only when I close Tab region by clicking (X). But, its not shown when I go to different Tab (First, Second, Third). Moreover, when I return to previous Tab (First for example), previously available Tab region is not present anymore (there was no info about Pending Changes and now Tab region is lost). I think Pending Changes mechanism will improve in next releases.

Regards,
Andrejus

2009/11/30 Chris Muir <chris...@gmail.com>

CM.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

--
Oracle ACE Director

My Blog - http://andrejusb.blogspot.com/
My JDev/ADF Samples list - http://andrejusb-samples.blogspot.com/

Michael Koniotiakis

Dec 6, 2009, 6:40:01 AM12/6/09
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
I had created a Template to use in my applications before the release
of new Dynamic Tabs Shell template.

it does not support dynamic tabs.
Yet I decided to share it since i feel it is:
Simpler
Easier to use
Uses Dynamic Region to navigate to different task flows
Provides customized functionality about navigating while having
pending changes
Supports security permission check for navigating between task flows

http://adfbugs.blogspot.com/2009/12/dynamic-region-uishell.html

Any feedback is usefull.