Consistent Hashing

Chris Wanstrath

Jun 15, 2007, 4:20:16 PM6/15/07
to acts_as...@googlegroups.com, jkit...@gmail.com
Hey everyone,

I just checked in support for Jimmy's consistent_hashing gem. It's
experimental right now (aka no one uses it in production), but so far
it looks really promising.

http://require.errtheblog.com/plugins/changeset/268

If anyone saw my presentation at RailsConf, this is basically Jimmy's
pure-ruby implementation of the circle-key algorithm I described.

Try it out if you have time, check out the source, etc. Right now it
sets the default weighting for all servers to same (I believe), so you
don't need to do anything but install the gem to get it to work.

Jimmy, if you want to chime in and add any other details, please do.
Very cool -- expect more support in cache_fu soon.

--
Chris Wanstrath
http://errfree.com // http://errtheblog.com

jkit

Jun 15, 2007, 4:54:31 PM6/15/07
to acts_as_cached
I just released the gem on rubyforge a few minutes ago. So in a
couple of hours, it should be available with a simple `gem install
consistent_hashing`.

The gem includes a subclass of MemCache (from the memcache-client gem)
called MemCacheWithConsistentHashing that should basically be a
drop-in replacement for MemCache.

This is my first open source project, so I would appreciate any
suggestions and criticisms.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Evan Weaver

Jun 22, 2007, 9:12:09 PM6/22/07
to acts_as_cached

This is awesome. Planning for a late July deployment of an app with
this...

Just saying. Thanks for your hard work, Jimmy.

Evan