Anchors (please?)

Aaron Silvers

Mar 27, 2013, 4:13:57 PM3/27/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
HI all,

I have a small request from the Experience API Working Group. We're the group originating from the US Department of Defense that's taking the idea of activity streams and generalizing it primarily for uses within learning, education and training contexts. Our spec is here: https://github.com/adlnet/xAPI-Spec and we're about to hit Version 1.0 in late April.

I know a lot of our adopters would like to make use of the verbs, activity components, object components, and object types used by ActivityStrea.ms (http://activitystrea.ms/registry/) and one of the challenges we have is that in our spec, verbs need to be resolveable URIs (essentially, URLs). This could easily be accomplished with attaching anchors for each verb, activity component, object component, and object type listed in the Activity Streams schema. Currently they all resolve from your registry to their general header (see how each verb in the registry resolves to http://activitystrea.ms/specs/json/schema/activity-schema.html#verbs as an example).

Ideally something like the verb "access" could be resolved to something like http://activitystrea.ms/specs/json/schema/activity-schema.html#access. It could be whatever, as long as it's unique for each item that could be referenced.

Currently there are about 50 companies that are adopting the Experience API specification and once it hits Version 1.0, we expect that there will be a lot more adoption to come.

Would this be something you'd be willing to consider?

Thanks,

-a-

Aaron Silvers,
Community Manager
Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL)

Will Norris

Mar 27, 2013, 5:41:57 PM3/27/13
to activity-streams
Do you just need URI forms for these, or do you *really* need them to be resolvable URLs?

In the Atom version of ActivityStreams, verbs and objects are actually defined as IRIs, relative to the base IRI of "http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/" (see http://activitystrea.ms/specs/atom/1.0/#activity.verb).  So if you want a stable URI form, you should certainly use that.  We never made those URIs resolvable, but it wouldn't be that difficult to set them up to redirect to the relavant spec section (assuming the spec had anchors, as you mention)

Ben Clark

Mar 28, 2013, 4:00:52 PM3/28/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com, wi...@willnorris.com
Hi Will,

We just need URI forms, they don't *really* need to be resolvable.

To make sure I understand you properly, can you verify that the following URIs are the canonical Activity Streams way to represent the verb "access"
,and the object type "game" respectively?

One particular reason I'm asking about these is that I don't see access or game on the list at: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0 (following the redirect) though I do see it here: http://activitystrea.ms/registry/specs/activity-schema/.

Thanks,

-Ben

Will Norris

Mar 28, 2013, 4:35:16 PM3/28/13
to activity-streams
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Ben Clark <ben....@scorm.com> wrote:
Hi Will,

We just need URI forms, they don't *really* need to be resolvable.

To make sure I understand you properly, can you verify that the following URIs are the canonical Activity Streams way to represent the verb "access"
,and the object type "game" respectively?

One particular reason I'm asking about these is that I don't see access or game on the list at: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0 (following the redirect) though I do see it here: http://activitystrea.ms/registry/specs/activity-schema/.

there are multiple places where schema types are defined (sadly).  The most recent discussion was here[0], when the plans was to keep the authoritative version in markdown format in github: https://github.com/activitystreams/activity-schema/blob/master/activity-schema.md.  That version does at least have 'game', though not 'access'.  We should probably redirect the older specs to this copy.

Will Norris

Mar 28, 2013, 7:31:53 PM3/28/13
to activity-streams
And just to clarify, I don't think anyone is at all against making these URLs resolvable... most people just moved away from using URLs as the common form, so it didn't matter as much.  The activitystrea.ms website runs out of https://github.com/activitystreams/website, so if you want to send a pull request that adds the appropriate files, I'd be happy to merge it in.  To setup a redirect, follow the example in https://github.com/activitystreams/website/blob/gh-pages/spec/1.0/index.html