<link type="what?"....

Jon Paul Davies

Mar 17, 2009, 10:03:21 AM3/17/09
to Activity Streams
Any idea on how auto-discovery can take place? I presume it's by link
tags? OPML is

<link rel="alternate" type="text/x-opml" title="Subscriptions"
href="http://your-opml-feed-address" >

What type="" is prefered? text/x-activitystrea.ms ?

David Cramer

Mar 17, 2009, 12:37:22 PM3/17/09
to activity...@googlegroups.com
text/x-activitystrea.ms isn't something I'd want to use.

Maybe something like text/xml+activitystream

----
David Cramer
Director of Technology
iBegin
http://www.ibegin.com/

Martin Atkins

Mar 17, 2009, 1:20:52 PM3/17/09
to activity...@googlegroups.com

Since AtomActivity is a superset of Atom, the following is expected to
be the common case:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" href="..." />

This assumes, of course, that the page in question contains an HTML
representation of the activity stream.

I've also been idly considering rel="activities" (with
type="application/atom+xml" again) for situations where the activity
stream is *not* an alternate for the current page, though I've not
really spent much time exploring the use-cases for that.

Chris Messina

May 12, 2009, 6:15:46 AM5/12/09
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Ah, on the basis of the recent conversation on discovery, I'm reviving this thread and point to this page on the wiki to document ideas/proposals:

Chris
--
Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate

factoryjoe.com // diso-project.org // openid.net // vidoop.com
This email is:   [ ] bloggable    [X] ask first   [ ] private

Sylvain Hellegouarch

May 12, 2009, 7:47:36 AM5/12/09
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Since I cannot comment on the page itself I'll do it here :)

1. <link rel="activitystream" type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://www.example.com/xml/index.atom" />

This is straightforward but rather worthless too since you can't
decide what's the context is.

2. <link rel="alternate activitystream" type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://www.example.com/xml/index.atom" />

I doubt this is actually valid since rel attribute can't have a space
in their value (well if the link element comes from the Atom
namespace, the HTML4 allows it).

3. <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://www.example.com/xml/index.atom" class="activitystream" />

The class attribute should be namespaced here. This isn't a good idea
IMO nonetheless since you can't have more than one rel="alternate" per
entry with a given couple of type and hreflang (again if link comes
from the Atom namespace).

I would venture for this instead:

<link rel="activitystream" type="application/atom+xml"
href="http://www.example.com/xml/index.atom">
<activity:object-type>http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/photo</activity:object-type>
</link>

- Sylvain

Chris Messina

May 12, 2009, 9:59:47 AM5/12/09
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Ah, no no. I'm only concerned with autodiscovery in HTML documents currently...!

Sylvain Hellegouarch

May 12, 2009, 10:01:49 AM5/12/09
to activity...@googlegroups.com
2009/5/12 Chris Messina <chris....@gmail.com>:

> Ah, no no. I'm only concerned with autodiscovery in HTML documents
> currently...!

Fair enough then :)

- Sylvain