Packer vs JsMin

lrbabe

Jul 31, 2009, 10:52:25 AM7/31/09
to ActiveJS
It seems that recently, packed versions of activejs have been
introduced in the "latest" folder.
However, packer tends to be abandoned in favor of JsMin + Gzip by tha
major JavaScript library out there because of the bad impact that it
has on page load (see http://docs.jquery.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_I_compress_my_code.3F)

packer wraps the whole script in an eval() which is known to be a
resource expensive operation.

Ryan Johnson

Jul 31, 2009, 11:36:23 AM7/31/09
to acti...@googlegroups.com
I was unaware, I'll reconfigure the builds next week. The packer
process drove me nuts. Hopefully there is a decent JSMin
implementation for ruby (which creates the builds).

Arnout Kazemier

Jul 31, 2009, 11:45:58 AM7/31/09
to acti...@googlegroups.com
Actually, there a YUI compressor for Ruby, : http://github.com/sstephenson/ruby-yui-compressor/tree/master

Arnout Kazemier

Adobe Spry Community Expert | Speaker Adobe MAX 2009

lrbabe

Aug 7, 2009, 1:25:52 PM8/7/09
to ActiveJS
Yes, actually YUI compressor is even a better option.