What is ACR calibration REALLY doing?

Barry Pearson

May 27, 2007, 11:11:26 AM5/27/07
to AcrCalibrator
Please don't respond before reading what follows! I have been using
the Thomas Fors script (various versions) since I first saw it
mentioned in an Adobe forum, with success. But I believe that the
typical explanations of why to use it aren't true!

We are told that the ACR Calibrate tab exists to enable variations
between individual cameras within a model to be catered for. So if my
cameras are significantly different from the ones tested by Adobe to
create the ACR profiles, I can "normalise" them. Bruce Fraser
described a process for setting the sliders in his books, (which I've
read), and Thomas Fors wrote a script to automate the process based on
target values for GretagMacbeth ColorCheckers.

But ... if the PRIMARY effect of using the script were to cater for
variations between cameras, we would expect to see slider values
spread from negative to positive. For most of them, we typically do -
but not for the Red sliders. I've been noting calibration values that
people have obtained by running this script (or sometimes the Rags
Gardner script) and then posted to various forums. And these are
typical (Red) results I've seen:

Nikon D200: Red Hue: -24; Red Saturation: 42
Nikon D2X: Red Hue: -20; Red Saturation: +20
Pentax K100D: Red Hue -27; Red Saturation 40
Pentax K10D: Red hue: -13; Red sat: 7 (mine)
Pentax *istD: Red Hue: -24; Red Saturation: 27 (mine)
Pentax *istDS: Red hue: -26; Red Sat: +35
Panasonic LX1: red hue -20; red saturation +42
Panasonic LX1: Red hue: -26; Red sat: +19
Konica Minolta A2: Red hue: -26; Red sat: 0
Canon G3: Red hue: -1; Red sat: 20
Canon 300D: Red hue: -5; Red sat: 20
Canon 20D: Red hue: -9; Red sat: 9
Canon 10D: Red hue: -5; Red sat: 30
Canon 5D: Red hue: -5; Red sat: 11
Canon 5D: Red hue: -11; Red sat: 4

I have never seen a positive Red Hue, or a negative Red Saturation,
posted to a forum after using one of these scripts! I'm sure they
exist, (one of the above has a 0 Red Saturation), but the bias is
systematic. Is it a real effect, or some sort of surveying bias, or
what? Is there a technical explanation?

I accept that a SECONDARY effect of using the script is to cater for
camera variations, as seen in the values above. But I believe the
PRIMARY effect is to compensate for the fact that the standard Adobe
profiling method results in reds that are often too orange, and greens
that are often too yellow. And these are criticisms of ACR's colour
rendering that have been posted to forums. In other words, it might be
possible to derive a generic set of slider values for (say) the Pentax
K10D which gives results that are prefered by many to the Adobe
defaults, yet are non-zero.

I have posted a similar article to the Luminous Landscape forums, as a
result of an article there about the Thomas Fors script. The point I
made appears to be ignored, and perhaps more data is needed.
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17064

I ask that people who have used the Thomas Fors (or Rags Gardner)
script post their results here, so that we can understand why I see
the systematic bias in results posted to forums. (It would be useful
to say whether the result is prefered to the Adobe default! I
certainly prefer the results from the script to the Adobe defaults).

Steve Sprengel

May 27, 2007, 1:44:45 PM5/27/07
to acrcal...@googlegroups.com
The positive/negative values depend on the initial lighting situation.  According to Bruce Fraser (on a page linked to from Tom Fors' site) ACR has one internal profile for Incandescent and another internal profile for everything else.  In my testing, Cloudy lighting 6500K seems to be the closest to zero.  If your survey respondents are not all the same lighting and white-balance, then they cannot be compared with each other.

The following table lists the results with a modified ACR Calibrator script that uses RGB and CMY color patches which keeps the color-error from going wild for the yellows.  It is ordered by the white-balance Color/Tint settings.

300D ACR4 Calibration
Conditions Date CRW_ Color Tint Exp Shad Bright Cont Shad Tint Red Hue Red Sat Grn Hue Grn Sat Blue Hue Blue Sat

Shade at Dusk 05/10/07 8426 9700K 12 0.00 1 55 2 1 0 0 -4 18 2 10
Shade at Dusk behind house 05/16/07 8855 7800K -2 0.00 1 60 20 0 -1 5 -9 12 2 1
Northlight shade from full sun 05/08/07 8330 6600K -15 -0.05 5 67 31 -2 -3 8 -11 -3 1 10
Cloudy/Drizzle/Day 05/03/07 8034 6550K 2 0.20 1 46 20 0 0 9 -5 4 1 5
Sun behind house 05/11/07 8586 5550K -1 -1.05 2 74 19 0 -5 14 -5 18 4 1
Fluorescent Tube 05/01/07 7984 3650K 22 0.10 0 61 6 -2 -13 37 39 20 -6 3
Fluorescent Bulb 05/02/07 8028 2850K 24 0.00 0 64 31 -2 12 14 28 -31 -9 4
Incandescent Reveal Ceiling 05/02/07 8029 2850K -5 0.05 0 71 31 -2 8 -12 -24 22 4 -1
Incandescent 100W Ceiling 05/13/07 8655 2700K 1 -0.25 3 52 23 -1 7 -9 -13 17 2 3
Sodium Vapor Night - grn prob 05/13/07 8658 2000K 8 0.20 0 42 16 -1 11 -2 116 49 -27 14

I believe the main purpose of the calibration sliders may be to correct whitebalance in a more sophisticated way than temp/tint sliders allow...correcting for lighting differences rather than camera differences.

I use the results I get for each camera in each lighting situation and leave it at that.

A bias towards yellow suggests Adobe it trying to mitigate the effects of mixed lighting when you use a daylight-balanced-flash with reddish-incandescent, but this is just speculation.

If Adobe had .ICM profiles for each camera--like Capture One does, it would make me feel more comfortable, than merely three pairs of calibration sliders and two different internal profiles of unknown composition.

Barry Pearson

May 27, 2007, 5:57:08 PM5/27/07
to AcrCalibrator
On May 27, 6:44 pm, "Steve Sprengel" <s...@sprengels.com> wrote:
> The positive/negative values depend on the initial lighting situation. According to Bruce Fraser (on a page linked to from Tom Fors' site) ACR has one internal profile for Incandescent and another internal profile for everything else. In my testing, Cloudy lighting 6500K seems to be the closest to zero. If your survey respondents are not all the same lighting and white-balance, then they cannot be compared with each other.
[snip]

Adobe use "D65", for daylight, and "Standard-A", for tungsten.

Where possible, I identified a daylight calibration run. That is
certainly the case for the two of mine that I posted, and for some of
the others as well. I don't believe that is the factor here - my non-
daylight values also show the same bias towards negative Red Hue and
positive Red Saturation.

Please post your results, qualifying them as daylight or whatever, and
we can see what the factors are, and how much the illuminant affects
the result. I think what we need now are plenty of cases - then we can
see where to go next.

Steve Sprengel

May 27, 2007, 8:16:09 PM5/27/07
to acrcal...@googlegroups.com
In your request, here, you didn't specify the lighting conditions, so knowing "Daylight" is somewhat useful, although the results for my 300D are a bit different between 5550K and 6500K, so knowing the illumination source as well as the white-balance values for the next-to-lightest patch would be good.  I don't have access to D50 or D65 workstations, so my sources are only natural or normal indoor.

As far as why all saturation adjustments seem to be positive for your survey, perhaps ACR's internal calibration is for a non-linear toning curve, medium contrast, for example, but Tom Fors script uses a luminance curve fitted to the neutral patches and would tend to undersaturate things.  It would be nice to hear Knolls tell everyone how they calibrate ACR.  My 300D's calibration is from ACR 2.4 and I wonder if they have changed how they do it for the newer canons.  I see the 5D is almost the same as mine so maybe they haven't.
---
I am intrigued that your Pentax camera is so much different than mine.  Can I ask you to send me a RAW file that corresponds to the results you posted?  I would like to use ACR Calibrator and plot the color error with Imatest to see how your camera differs from mine.  If you have GMB CC shots from cloudy and incandescent sources those would be similarly interesting.

May 28, 2007, 11:14:22 AM5/28/07
to AcrCalibrator
On May 28, 1:32 pm, "Thomas Fors" <t...@fors.net> wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> These are interesting observations. One possible explanation I've heard
> before is that Nikon and Canon (for example) optimize their cameras for
> reproducing Asian skin tones.
[snip]

Wow! That is thought provoking! And if Silkypix (Japanese) cooperated
with this optimisation, it would make sense - "sort of". (There appear
to be many "western" people who prefer Silkypix colours).

But that still doesn't explain why your script appears to give results
that are SYSTEMATICALLY different from the default Adobe profile. The
colours resulting from use of your script could obviously be achieved
by Adobe if they chose to - after all, you exploit ACR controls that
are available to Adobe too!

Suppose, as I believe but can't prove, that using your script, with
the actual cameras Adobe themselves used to generate their profiles,
ALSO gave these systematically different results. That would be a clue
that the difference is because Adobe and you actually have different
colour intentions/objectives. In effect, you try to ensure that if you
photograph a ColorChecker and have a properly colour-managed system it
continues to look just like a ColorChecker throughout.

But ... what do Adobe attempt to achieve? Do they use a different
target and try to make that consistent? Or is it a more theoretical
calibration? (I know they identify 2 colour matrices that map between
camera colour space and CIE XYZ colour space, but I don't know whether
that is sufficient by itself, or whether there is another factor in
the equation). The joke in some forums is "Adobe must like orange"!

Have you been able to see the values generated for lots of different
cameras by your script? If so, what are the results? What do you get
from your own cameras? I am trying to gather more data in the hope of
being able to identify how consistent this is and what the cause may
be.

I've just rerun the script for own cameras using ACR 4.0 and the 1.0
version of the script. The photographs were in daylight at the start
of March, just minutes apart.

Pentax *istD
Shadow Tint: 1
Red Hue: -24
Red Sat: 27
Green Hue: -5
Green Sat: 0
Blue Hue: 5
Blue Sat: 11

Pentax K10D
Shadow Tint: -3
Red Hue: -13
Red Sat: 6
Green Hue: -4
Green Sat: 9
Blue Hue: 10
Blue Sat: 8

Barry Pearson

May 28, 2007, 11:40:53 AM5/28/07
to AcrCalibrator
On May 28, 1:16 am, "Steve Sprengel" <s...@sprengels.com> wrote:
> In your request, here, you didn't specify the lighting conditions, so knowing "Daylight" is somewhat useful, although the results for my 300D are a bit different between 5550K and 6500K, so knowing the illumination source as well as the white-balance values for the next-to-lightest patch would be good. I don't have access to D50 or D65 workstations, so my sources are only natural or normal indoor.

I would like to know how much difference the illuminant makes. For
example, are the results still consistently Red Hue negative and Red
Sat positive, or does it change the centre of the spread considerably?
Please post them.

A problem is that it is hard to know what the colour temperature
actually was at the time of capture. I took photographs with my Pentax
*istD and my Pentax K10D within minutes of one another in stable light
conditions, and the Thomas Fors script records the *istD Color Temp as
6550 and the K10D Color Temp as 6000. So: "daylight"!

> As far as why all saturation adjustments seem to be positive for your survey, perhaps ACR's internal calibration is for a non-linear toning curve, medium contrast, for example, but Tom Fors script uses a luminance curve fitted to the neutral patches and would tend to undersaturate things. It would be nice to hear Knolls tell everyone how they calibrate ACR. My 300D's calibration is from ACR 2.4 and I wonder if they have changed how they do it for the newer canons. I see the 5D is almost the same as mine so maybe they haven't.

My *istD values changed a little, but not much, since ACR 2.4.

> I am intrigued that your Pentax camera is so much different than mine. Can I ask you to send me a RAW file that corresponds to the results you posted? I would like to use ACR Calibrator and plot the color error with Imatest to see how your camera differs from mine. If you have GMB CC shots from cloudy and incandescent sources those would be similarly interesting.

[snip]

I'll try to get some suitable raw files to you. I'll need to take some
more shots. In the meantime, please post your own script values,
together with the best statement of the illuminant that you can. I
believe that this effect is so strong that details of the illuminant
are a secondary issue. I think we needs lots of initial data before we
can home in on the areas needing further examination.

Steve Sprengel

May 28, 2007, 12:51:32 PM5/28/07
to acrcal...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps you are talking about something else, but a couple replies ago I showed my results all the way from < 2000K sodium vapor to 9700K bluish dusk lighting--the first two "yellow" columns.  I don't have any way to do other illuminates besides what I find outdoors in various wather and indoors at my home.
It is easy to see what is happening with ACR and ACR Calibrator is doing by looking at the "plots" of a/b color error and look specifically at the triangle of RGB squares:  13, 14, 15.  The square boxes represent the ideal values of the particular color checker patch and the larger circle is what the RAW conversion produced.

The first plot of three represents the color error in the default ACR Calibration and in almost all cases the ACR defaults, at least for my camera, show difficiencies in the yellows--the patches across the top, and both red and green are shifted toward the blue.  This is consistent with the speculation that Adobe or Canon have optimized something for Asian skin which is more yellow than Northern European skin.

The second plot of the three represents the color error after applying the ACR Calibrator calibration values.  And you will see the 13, 14, 15 tend to be almost right on, whereas the error in the the yellows sometimes gets worse.

The third plot of the three shows the color error after using a modified ACR Calibrator that also takes into account the CMY patches along the same row.  This keeps the yellows in check at the expense of not nailing the color error of the RGB patches.  I would rather have a little error everywhere than none in some patches and quite a bit in the yellows.

May 28, 2007, 3:35:39 PM5/28/07
to acrcal...@googlegroups.com
Here are the combined results for various lighting situations, where the original ACR Calibrator values are in black and the modified ACR Calibrator values, that I prefer to use, are gray.

300D ACR4 Calibration - ACR Calibrator using RGB error plus CMY error
Conditions
Color Tint Exp Shad Bright Cont Shad Tint Red Hue Red Sat Grn Hue Grn Sat Blue Hue Blue Sat

Shade at Dusk
9700K 12 0.00 1 55 2 1 0 0 -4 18 2 10

Shade - hazy day 8150K 2 0.20 12 67 43 -6 -10 18 2 -40 0 10
Shade - hazy day 8150K 2 0.20 12 67 43 -6 -8 18 -10 -14 1 -8

Northlight shade from full sun
6600K -15 -0.20 13 79 17 -2 -5 5 -1 -19 1 19
Northlight shade from full sun
6600K -15 -0.05 5 67 31 -2 -3 8 -11 -3 1 10

Cloudy/Drizzle/Day 6550K 2 0.10 0 51 25 0 -1 18 -4 -13 2 5
Cloudy/Drizzle/Day
6550K 2 0.20 1 46 20 0 0 9 -5 4 1 5

Sun behind house 5550K -1 -0.75 0 58 22 1 -4 30 -7 -7 5 -5
Sun behind house
5550K -1 -1.05 2 74 19 0 -5 14 -5 18 4 1

Fluorescent Tube
3650K 22 0.10 0 61
5 -2 -9 85 29 1 -3 -18
Fluorescent Tube
3650K 22 0.10 0 61 6 -2 -13 37 39 20 -6 3

Fluorescent Bulb 2850K 24 0.05 0 61 29 -2 12 35 27 -54 -6 1
Fluorescent Bulb
2850K 24 0.00 0 64 31 -2 12 14 28 -31 -9 4

Incandescent Reveal Closet 2850K -5 0.10 0 70 31 -2 8 -7 -40 31 9 15
Incandescent Reveal Closet
2850K -5 0.05 0 71 31 -2 8 -12 -24 22 4 -1

Incandescent 100W Ceiling
2700K 1 -0.25 3 52 23 -1
8 5 -34 35 8 -20
Incandescent 100W Ceiling
2700K 1 -0.25 3 52 23 -1 7 -9 -13 17 2 3

Sodium Vapor Night (WB bad) 2000K 8 0.30 0 37 -10 -1 29 28 91 159 -16 -28
Sodium Vapor Night (WB bad)
2000K 8 0.20 0 42 16 -1 11 -2 116 49 -27 14

In some cases the values for Exposure/Shadow/Brightness/Contrast (yellow columns) are significantly different merely because the initial path was slightly different and the optimization converged to a different minima in the 4-dimensional-space specified by the four values.  Other causes for this can be using a different toning curve, linear vs medium or high contrast, from one run to the next, although I think all of mine are using the linear toning curve.

Applying a typical S-shaped contrast toning curve increases saturation for dark values and decreases it for bright values, which would change the Saturation sliders a bit, so this is another variable parameter that should be specified when comparing results across cameras.  I have suggested that Tom include hard-coded settings for the toning curve and the ACR4 additions of fill and highlight recovery in his script to keep things consistent, so the next version he publishes may indeed do this, but for now, people need to set theirs to a particular setting.  I picked linear expecting Adobe did the same for their default calibration, but w/o seeing documentation from them, one way or the other, it's just an assumption.

May 29, 2007, 9:31:06 AM5/29/07
to acrcal...@googlegroups.com
No need to ask permission from me, since the script you are using is from Simon Tindemans who is much more knowledgeable than myself:  http://www.xs4all.nl/~tindeman/raw/color_reproduction.html

I posted the link to his script as something I felt was more sophisticated than the modifications I had done, myself, and therefore there was no need to give anyone my script.  It looks like his script runs quite a bit faster, too.

Don't be concerned about the discrepancy between the two different scripts, because Tindermans' script uses all the color patches in its calculations, not just the RGB patches used in the Fors' script, so I would guess there would still be a slightly more error with the RGB patches, but less error in other ones, which seems better.

Besides the trees and buildings, your clothing can color the image of the colorchecker, and it probably should be up off the ground to keep the grass from reflecting on it.

Also, the fact you're using such a wide angle lens on a full-frame camera means there could be an issue with vignetting and it might be better to back off and use the middle half of the image.

Here is the color-error analysis from a program called Imatest, where the modified script at the right converges on a better solution from what I can see, particularly in the blues.  Things were initially a bit off, but then I realized your screen capture PNGs were posted with your monitor profile instead of sRGB, and once I converted them to sRGB the numbers were closer.  These are a-b-error plots and as such the saturation errors are generally differences in and out relative to the center the center and hue errors are a rotation around the center.  I would say the modified script gives very good calibration values with both the average and maximum error being less.

May 29, 2007, 11:36:23 AM5/29/07
to AcrCalibrator
Hello Steve,

Thanks for the explanation and the analyzing, it confirms my own
thoughts about it.

The image of the screenshot was zoomed-in at 200% to give a good look
at the colors, the card was actual filling up approx. 1/4 of the
height and width of the image so the vignetting or the curved lines
are not so important because the card was placed in the center of the
image. The card was facing up to the sky almost horizontally placed
and far from the ground on a garden table, I took the image with
stretched arm to prevent as much reflection of my self as possible and
the sun (behind the clouds) was in front of me to avoid any shade on
the card.
So I think that I did what has to be done to take a good shot.

As said before I am new in the Color Calibration scene but I can see
the strenght when using it because it makes post processing so much
easier.

Regards, Wim.

On 29 mei, 15:31, "Steve Sprengel" <s...@sprengels.com> wrote:
> No need to ask permission from me, since the script you are using is from Simon Tindemans who is much more knowledgeable than myself: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tindeman/raw/color_reproduction.html
>
> I posted the link to his script as something I felt was more sophisticated than the modifications I had done, myself, and therefore there was no need to give anyone my script. It looks like his script runs quite a bit faster, too.
>
> Don't be concerned about the discrepancy between the two different scripts, because Tindermans' script uses all the color patches in its calculations, not just the RGB patches used in the Fors' script, so I would guess there would still be a slightly more error with the RGB patches, but less error in other ones, which seems better.
>
> Besides the trees and buildings, your clothing can color the image of the colorchecker, and it probably should be up off the ground to keep the grass from reflecting on it.
>
> Also, the fact you're using such a wide angle lens on a full-frame camera means there could be an issue with vignetting and it might be better to back off and use the middle half of the image.
>
> Here is the color-error analysis from a program called Imatest, where the modified script at the right converges on a better solution from what I can see, particularly in the blues. Things were initially a bit off, but then I realized your screen capture PNGs were posted with your monitor profile instead of sRGB, and once I converted them to sRGB the numbers were closer. These are a-b-error plots and as such the saturation errors are generally differences in and out relative to the center the center and hue errors are a rotation around the center. I would say the modified script gives very good calibration values with both the average and maximum error being less.
>

> The results can be seen here:http://www.dmmdh.nl/calibratie/standard_script.pnghttp://www.dmmdh.nl/calibratie/modified_script.png

> MacUser_combined.png
> 109KWeergevenDownloaden

Barry Pearson

May 29, 2007, 11:50:47 AM5/29/07
to AcrCalibrator
On May 28, 1:16 am, "Steve Sprengel" <s...@sprengels.com> wrote:
[snip]

> I am intrigued that your Pentax camera is so much different than mine. Can I ask you to send me a RAW file that corresponds to the results you posted? I would like to use ACR Calibrator and plot the color error with Imatest to see how your camera differs from mine. If you have GMB CC shots from cloudy and incandescent sources those would be similarly interesting.
[snip]

You didn't say which Pentax. I've uploaded the PEF from my K10D that I
used for my latest calibration results using ACR 4.0 and the 1.0
script that I recently published here. I'll keep it here for just a
few days:
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/temp/_IGP0101.PEF

I look forward to seeing your analysis. If it is the *istD PEF you
wanted, I'll upload that instead.

Thomas Fors

May 29, 2007, 12:43:07 PM5/29/07
to acrcal...@googlegroups.com
On 5/29/07, MacUser <mvo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I tried Steve script as well (Steve I hope you don't mind that I
didn't ask it before installing the script).
There defenitely are differences in the output, I hate it to say
because it sounds ungratefull to Tom (and I am gratefull for his
efforts) but I prefer the modified script of Steve.

Hi Wim,

No worries about sounding ungrateful.  When I first developed the script I explored using more than just the R,G,B patches to do the color calibration.  For some cameras it gave better results and for others it made things worse.  Using just R,G,B seemed to work fairly reliable for all the cameras I tested on.

I am willing to revisit this though based on the interest it has gained here.  So, your feedback about which results you prefer is greatly appreciated.

--Tom

Steve Sprengel

May 29, 2007, 3:07:46 PM5/29/07
to acrcal...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

I think everyone is grateful for your simplex implementation as well as making things modular so they are easily extensible.  Your JSX script was the first I've ever looked at, and it wasn't too hard to follow.

May 29, 2007, 3:42:43 PM5/29/07
to acrcal...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I noticed one of the entries in your camera list said "Mine" but didn't look at all of them to see there was more than one.

I am currently running Tinderman's script on your "Daylight" PEF and will post a before and after error-analysis of ACR's calibration.

If you have the means, I would also like to see another PEF from the same camera of the CC in Incandescent lighting since that seemed to have the most color-error with ACR's default zeros calibration for my camera.

BTW, when I brought up the daylight PEF in ACR via remote-desktop which is using 15-bit display mode, I can see there is a non-constant illumination on some of the edge patches, suggesting vignetting may have occurred.  If it's significant, Imatest will give me warning about non-even illumination when I get that far into the analysis.