Ack2 Preview

Rob Hoelz

Nov 28, 2011, 10:43:34 AM11/28/11
to ack dev/users
Hello Ack users,

As you may know, Andy and I have been working on Ack2. At this point,
a few features are working, but I'd like to see who can break them in
the most creative ways. =) Therefore, I'd like to invite you to build
Ack2 from https://github.com/petdance/ack2, and try using it in your
day-to-day activities a bit to see if you can find any problems in the
features that are (currently) working.

The current "working" (as in "working now, but still under
development") features are:

* Coloration
* -m/-1
* --type-add and --type-set (see the provided ackrc for examples)
* -f
* -g
* -i
* -v
* -w

Ack2 requires an ackrc to load type definitions, so you can use the
ackrc from the git repository as your ackrc. Put it somewhere like
~/.ack2rc. I wouldn't recommend ~/.ackrc, because Ack1 doesn't like
some Ack2 options; I have a shell alias to invoke ack2 with the
appropriate ackrc file:

alias ack2="~/bin/ack2 --noenv --ackrc=~/.ack2rc"

Just to be clear, this is *not* a release, beta or otherwise. I just
want to get some early feedback while we're working on this.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Hoelz

Nov 28, 2011, 12:04:28 PM11/28/11
to ack dev/users
Sorry folks, the alias should be this:

alias ack2="~/bin/ack2 --noenv --ackrc=$HOME/.ack2rc"